Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 AM

6 posts, read 25,413 times

Advertisements

Yes I did the search thing, and read a lot of good information, but I still have questions.

My wife and I are 40 with two young children, and I am in a position that I can live wherever I want (as long as I have Internet service). I'm looking for a town that meets all the following criteria.

1. Coastal community. Boating, fishing, beach, paddleboarding, etc.
2. Must be within 75 minutes or so from a major airport.
3. Great "downtown" scene. We want to be able to ride our bikes to get ice cream, dinner, bars, etc. In fact, I'd like to be able to go days without using the car.
4. Flip flops, shorts, and Tshirts can be worn most everywhere.
5. Good restaurants.
6. Streets safe for kids to play.
7. Great schools.

Cost of living is not a big issue, but I don't want to live in a stuffy area like Palm Beach. I do not like Med. style houses or screened in pools.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by DavidWooderson; 01-04-2011 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,197,930 times
hummm.. I don't think they have built utopia yet..... let us all know when you find it.

only kidding!!

Lots of places have a lot of things on your "wish list" but I think the only way you are going to actually find a place YOU personally like is by visiting multiple areas.

You didn't express a price range.

Most coastal towns have some kind of downtown place like you describe, but you have to understand that the coastal areas were built first and therefore could be just a nothing much place or the city may have gone in and re-built the area and put in all those things you ask for.

You said Palm Beach .. stuffy. Well, Palm Beach proper is only one small area -an island in fact. Certainly not the whole of anything around it.

Internet is pretty much a given, I don't think any where in Florida is that backward as to not have access to the Internet.

Where have you been looking?

Old 01-05-2011, 10:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
If money isnt a problem Key West sounds like the ideal boho place,
South Beach bringing in a close second..

Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 25,413 times
Been looking at coastal NC, Santa Cruz, CA and NE Florida so far. Looking for something $750-1.5 range housing wise. Dosn't have to be waterfront, but easy access to beach and boat a must.

Right now, Melbourne Beach, NE Florida, and the Sarasota area sound the most appealing. CA is just too far away from rest of family. Coastal NC just too desolate and cold in winter. It's a great summer place. Also I like to flyfish the Keys and Bahamas.

I wouldn't consider Key West or South Beach because I have kids. I'll visit those places while they stay home with the grandparents!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:22 PM

36 posts, read 98,455 times
Default 2 words....Vero Beach

It's a bit more upscale and a bit warmer in the winter than Melbourne. Little more than your 75 min. drive to airport, but you have a choice...Orlando or Palm Beach. If you lived in the "Central Beach" area, you could bike most places, and the grocery store is a 5 - 7 min. drive to Fresh Market or Publix. You'd also be close to GREAT schools. Best of all you would be smack dab in between the intracoastal and the ocean. Where are you now so I could maybe do some lifestyle comparisons as I've lived all over...and chose VERO BEACH for the last stop!!!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 AM

628 posts, read 1,315,616 times
Agree 100% with above post.....Vero Beach! It may be a smidge quieter than you might like but it does fit your criteria well. Before you decide...you must check out the island area.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:52 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,197,930 times
How does Vero Beach have ---

3. Great "downtown" scene. We want to be able to ride our bikes to get ice cream, dinner, bars, etc. In fact, I'd like to be able to go days without using the car.

If it has one.. I'd sure like to know where it is?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM

628 posts, read 1,315,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
How does Vero Beach have ---

If it has one.. I'd sure like to know where it is?
I think if you read the 2 posts above yours, you will clearly see that the area on the island known as Ocean drive is what is referred to. I can count over 6 high end restaurants, several bars with live music almost daily, great ice cream,and very friendly bike riding along one of the most beautiful beaches in Florida.....now if you are citing DOWNTOWN VB on the mainland....then I have to agree with you. I've been here 22 years and as far as I am concerned, the beachside and the mainland are almost 2 different towns!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 AM

52 posts, read 93,413 times
Probably nobody will recommend Fort Pierce because of the negative press but if you've chosen a nice area, South Hutchinson Island, for instance, crime is practically non-existent. If you want to go out for big fish in the ocean, Fort Pierce inlet is the safest in Florida. Good restaurants, cheap taxes, EZ commute to airports, beautiful beaches.....Just stay out of the bad areas at night.

I should mention that the public schools in this area, while improving, are below avereage.

Frankie C
Moderator cut: advertising in any form is not allowed

Last edited by Granny Sue; 01-10-2011 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: advertising not allowed

Old 04-30-2011, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 7,007 times
Default David Wooderson

Hi David! well youve probably selected a place by now. I would suggest Jupiter FL. It is about a half hour to the Palm Beach Airport. Has a small town feel, yet in Palm Beach Gardens, about 5-10 minutes away there is a lovely mall with some great restaurants and a first class movie theatre, lots of wonderful beachside restaurants. In the section of Abacoa in Jupiter many homes, townhomes etc for rent and sale, a very nice, safe area. Also a big major league baseball stadium in Abacoa as well as a little town square w/ restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach