Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:33 PM

112 posts, read 261,917 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at Vero Beach as a winter location. We are 48 & 59, we don't golf, so we aren't interested in golf communities. We have 3 little dogs that are our "kids." We like walking our dogs, riding our bikes, taking a walk on the beach, having a really great private yard and pool and going to lunch or dinner each day. We don't have kids, but like to have friends and family visit. We are very laid back, flip-flop and baseball cap types, who live in MN the rest of the year.

We currently have a cottage in NW FL at a community called Watercolor (near Destin), but there is just nothing going on there in the winter - it's beautiful and great for taking walks or riding bikes, but many restaurants and shops close in winter. While we aren't looking for tons of activity, we do like dining out just about every day and going to the movies and shopping.

Vero Beachers - do you think VB would be a good fit for us? I love the West Indies architecture, gated communities and to be close to the water so you get some river to ocean breezes.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 05:15 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times
As an expat of the area, I'll tell you that the doggie/flip-flop life style is there waiting for you in Vero Beach. The restaurants, however, are mediocre at best though they like to flash themselves as being hip and as far as shopping goes we found ourselves traveling to Palm Beach Gardens (70 miles or so) for decent shopping. You'll have a mall which has a high vacancy rate and you'll have Ocean Drive which is pretty much there for tourists. Give it a shot. Go visit for awhile and see for yourself.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:20 PM

Interesting, ipoetry. I wouldn't mind driving an hour or two for a day of major shopping. As long as I had the essentials available close to home, ie: B,B&B, Target, etc. Gonna go visit in March. Thinking of staying at the VB Hotel & Spa.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 11,334 times
We too are looking to do the same thing in Vero but we're coming from a snowy philadelpia area. I am wondering about the country clubs. We'd love to find one on the beach with all the ammenities. Any recommendations?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:13 AM

24 posts, read 81,261 times
Mn, you'll love the VB Hotel and Spa. My wife and I stayed there while looking to buy a home down here. We're still new to the area (less than 1 year) but we love the quiet, laid back lifestyle. Target, Home Depot, Beals, Movie theaters, Macy's (small) and the Vero Beach Outlet stores are all here. Restaurants are ok and some are overpriced; the beaches are fantastic, never crowded and there is some nightlife and a nice museum.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:19 AM

2cold,
Good to know about VB hotel and spa. We're gonna drive from our place in the Panhandle, so were bringing our little 5lb dog with us and the VBH&S allows dogs - awesome!
I'm excited to visit as it sound like it might be a great fit for us. We live outside Minneapolis and we travel to NY and London at least once a year, so we get our fill of city life and just want a laid back winter place, but not one that's so dead you can't find a place for coffee or lunch. We aren't party'ers and going out for dinner and seeing a movie now and then works just fine for us.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:00 AM

36 posts, read 98,447 times
Hi, as a 53 yr. old / 31 yr. resident of Vero beach, let me chime in. I do not golf, I live 1/2 block to the beach. I have 1 doglet who has travelled the world with me, and eat out most nights as it's less expensive.
I will caution you that it is not permitted to have your dogs on the beach, but most people do it and just go to beaches north or south, or early or late. The beach in front of my house is mostly empty at any time and it lies between two guarded beaches.
There are great sidewalks and bike paths all along A1A. I dis-agree about the lack of quality restaurants and I've lived on 5 continents so I do have comparisons. There certainly are places to enjoy out for our generation. I've not driven to Palm Beach to shop for over 20 years, but I'm not a "mall rat", and do most of my shopping on-line.
You will LOVE the VBHS, and it's super pet friendly. It's also a place you will go back to often for a drink after you move here. Wanna see a play, here a symphony, a lecture from a well-known speaker? It's all here.
Come to paradise. See for yourself. And if you want to meet up for a drink around the firepit while you're here, let me know and I'm happy to share more and help you.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 AM

132 posts, read 350,717 times
This is definitely a laid back, pet-friendly town. I don't really know why you would have to travel to West Palm to shop, but whatever floats your boat. This place has a ton of restaurants, art galleries, beaches, parks, and offerings. For live music with your feet in the sand you should check out Captain Hiram's in Sebastian. Most neighborhoods are very "walker" friendly. As with every other town, there are parts to avoid, but you can usually pick them out by driving through the neighborhood!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:53 AM

9 posts, read 21,694 times
Hello
Long time visiter to this page as we have been planning our eventual move to FL.
Thanks to the many city-data poster suggestions, we have narrowed our search for GATED real estate-UNDER 55...... to either Sebastian or Vero Beach. Your posts and a few friends in the surrounding areas have helped us discover important shopping considerations more than any realtor so far.
We are from a sleepy NJ beach town where you have to drive far for everything, so we are not in need of being on top of shopping.
We have put off consulting real estate agents until we have thoroughly and physically discovered as much on our own as possible about potential real estate purchase because our past experiences in FL house hunting have always ended up with the agents knowing little or nothing about the areas, and always basically full of hot air, always ending up in our frustration/no sale. I can read notes from a listing too. I even have a GPS so who needs to have a real estate agent get us lost???
With that said:
Never did a VB or Sebastian realtor tell us about the following, which I just learned about while shopping yesterday in my NJ store, by people who just bought in VB.
FOR THOSE UNDER 55, like us.........You may be interested in (google) Isles of Waterway Village, Vero Beach
Gated
100 to 275k
NO golf
YES tennis
YES pool
7 miles from ocean
Building began in 2004/5.

I hope this helps someone out there.
We too, will be down to buy after we sell our house/fingers crossed.
Save us a place!
Good luck to all.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:13 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times
OP states that she enjoys going out to lunch or dinner every day. Her words... "we do like dining out just about every day and going to the movies and shopping." I think she'd run out of restaurants after week #2 and if shopping is on her daily agenda, the Indian River Mall probably won't fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach