U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 AM

8 posts, read 31,177 times

Advertisements

Greetings.
I am new to the forums but have browsed periodically for some time. I will be relocating to the Port St. Lucie area from Rockland County NY in June 2008. My son will be starting 9th grade that year and I think we will be going the private school route, considering the horror stories we have heard about how they place the kids via somewhat of a crap shoot. Personally, I'm not into the fact that i cant move to a specific zip code and not be able to secure which school he will go to. Anyway, does anyone have any updated info on the private schools including Morningside Academy in PSL, or John Carroll Catholic High School in Fort Pierce, or any others in the area. Tuition info, school rep, academics, after school activities, violence, or lack of etc.

Thanks so much for helping the" newbie". Any info will be appriciated
- dalooosh
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 PM

573 posts, read 2,290,302 times
John Carroll website: John Carroll Catholic High School > Home
Both schools have good reputations that I know of...sorry I don't have any more info...I am a product of the "dreaded" PSL school system (10 years ago tho, they have changed for the worse since then, but I think a lot of it has to do with the FCATS.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:07 PM

991 posts, read 4,339,815 times
What is so bad about PSL schools? Are they bad? I am looking to relocate to the are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 AM

1,305 posts, read 5,186,544 times
St. Lucie County schools have a reputation that has not been earned and is not deserved. To understand, you have to go back to the '60's. While that era was famous for "Make Love, not War" in the rest of the nation, in much of the South in general, and in Fort Pierce in particular, it was an era of segregation. Much of the rest of the South had already begun integration voluntarily, but the Good Ol' Boys in Fort Pierce resisted strongly. Dan McCarty school (now a middle school) was the White high school and Lincoln Park (now the 43rd best high school in the nation in a recent index) was the Black high school.

Most of the population of St. Lucie County lived in Fort Pierce; Port St. Lucie was a few paved streets and a couple of hundred houses rising out of former cattle fields in the southern part of the county. It was populated mostly by retirees; there were perhaps fewer than 10 high school students from that area. The population of the county at that time was probably 60% Black, most of whom were crammed into the neglected Northwest corner of Fort Pierce and prevented by segregation practices from living anywhere else.

The 1954 Brown vs. BofE decision had no effect in Fort Pierce, but the 1964 equal rights amendment started a movement. A group who came to be known as the Interveners filed suit in Federal Court, and the County was forced to integrate. A new high school, Fort Pierce Central, was constructed and the first integrated classes were finally held in 1969. That first year, there were fights, riots and more. However, things calmed down quickly, and the 1970 Fort Pierce Central football team went on to win the state championship.

Fort Pierce Westwood high school was constructed later, and they remained the only two high schools in the county until PSL high school was constructed around 1989. The closest elementary school to PSL was in White City, and the middle schools were in Fort Pierce. This was the situation when I moved to the county in 1972. The population mix remained with a majority Black population until Port St. Lucie started to grow.

The problem with a majority Black population coming out of the segregated 1960's in a somewhat rural cow town in Florida is not with the Black people themselves, of course, but with the White attitudes and practices that affected them. People from outside the county simply didn't want their children going to schools with more Blacks than Whites, and they started the stories about how "terrible" the schools are.

As part of the Federal Court order, the St. Lucie County schools were under a forced integration program for decades. Only fairly recently (within the last 10 years) did the court release the county from direct supervision. The Interveners still exist and still monitor the situation. The forced integration took the form of cross-busing. As the population of PSL increased, and was largely White (although fully integrated), half of the White kids were bussed to Fort Pierce and half of the Black kids were bussed to PSL.

That busing has been replaced by the Controlled Choice program, school zones and magnet schools. Recently, the Supreme Court completely reversed the previous decisions and removed the requirement for all such programs; it remains to be seen what will result. The situation has actually been straightening itself out, because PSL is such a diverse city with no ethnic "sections", and those minorities who can afford it have been integrating into the city for decades. The "mix" is now almost perfect without intervention.

The sad part of it is that the St. Lucie County schools still have that "poor schools" lavel hung on them. They were never bad schools. The formal numbers that go into ratings are not geared for a rural/suburban mix like St. Lucie County. For example, one of the key ratings in graduation rate. A school system like St. Lucie County will never have a high rate because of the number of migrants and transients who start school here but do not finish here, or anywhere.

I find it ludicrous that people will complain about a school assignment 2 or 3 miles further than another school, yet pay to transport their children 7 to 10 miles further to go to a private school, and do so without any real knowledge of either school except what someone else has repeated.

There are no bad schools in St. Lucie County, only lazy students and uninvolved parents. Take your assigned school, get involved with the school and its programs, get to know the teachers, monitor your kids progress, and don't let guidance folks channel your kids in a different direction than you want. You'll be fine. Thousands of others do the same with no problems.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 AM

Thanks once again for the explanation! My friend's brother moved there from LI two years ago. His wife is very involved with her children. Anyhow they had some rough financial times up here and needed to move, but they sold there house up with with very little profit, so they needed to rent down there, until they could get some money together topurchase in fla. She rented in PSL schools for 2.5 years, Then this May they purchased in the schools, when I told her about what people say on the forum, she said Do you really think I would purchase if I was not happy here? She said is it Utopia no, but it is nice!

Old 08-03-2007, 04:07 PM

1,305 posts, read 5,186,544 times
The people who criticize the St. Lucie County schools the most are not from St. Lucie County, and never have been. Sadly, many of them are from nearby counties where it is much more expensive to purchase and live. They could never admit that St. Lucie County schools could equal theirs. I have a close friend whose daughter was an IB (International Baccalaureate) graduate from Martin County. He was bragging about the Martin County system and ragging on St. Lucie County, so I checked. That year, there were 9 or 10 IB degrees granted in Martin County. St. Lucie County had over 60 IB degrees granted that same year...when I told him, he changed the subject.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:37 PM

573 posts, read 2,290,302 times
I really never had a problem with the school system. I attended all 4 years at PSL high. My younger brother didn't care for it, but he didn't like school, that's all....I agree that it is a combo of unconcerned parents and lazy students. School is what you make of it. I was being sarcastic when I said I was the product of the dreaded school system. Everyone rags on SLC but it is definitely comparable to Martin. Why do you think we are always in competition with them?

momix, don't worry, you will be fine. Just stay involved and it will be okay.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:53 PM

Thanks dd! i am crossing my fingers about my husbands employment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach