U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 02:41 PM

52 posts, read 147,587 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there know anything about Fort Pierce Schools, especially Westlake High School? Good, bad or indifferent! I've heard a lot of bad things about the city of Fort Pierce but not so much about the school system.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 9,291 times
My opinion is this; if you hear bad things about the town then you might want to feel confident the same things are going on in the school system.

My children did NOT attend St Lucie county schools. Period.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 PM

138 posts, read 193,075 times
Maybe you mean Westwood High?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 AM

52 posts, read 147,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitten View Post
Maybe you mean Westwood High?
That would be correct. Sorry about that! Westwood HS

Old 08-03-2011, 02:13 PM

138 posts, read 193,075 times
TP99C5, Westwood HS has continually (for years) been an underperforming school and that's being diplomatic. Why? Who knows...teachers blame parents, parents blame teachers, administrators blame political restrictions, and everybody is busy blaming someone else. In the meantime, the students are doing alot of things but learning something positive doesn't appear to be one of those things. Seems like a situation where the inmates have taken over the asylum, if you get my drift, and that did not happen overnight. It is a school that is out of control. The school actually improved from a "D" rating to a "C" rating this year, whatever that really means on paper. The powers that be have decided this upcoming year that they are going to replace 50% of the teachers at that particular school to see if that could make an improvement. That is the "official" version. I'm not sure if maybe 50% of the teachers just refused to go back there for another year. They've got ALOT of work to do to Westwood to get back control and perform the way a school should perform, if that's even possible.

On a more positive note, if you're info-gathering on public high schools in Ft. Pierce, take a look at Lincoln Park Academy. It is a consistently A-rated magnet school which appears to have its act together. How two schools in the same city can perform so completely differently, I do not know; but I believe it has to do with one school having/requiring accountability while the second one does not. JMHO. If you're interested, here's a link to some info about LPA: LPA- About Us

Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM

95 posts, read 201,802 times
If you dont have to live in Ft. Pierce or north, you may want to consider going south to Martin County(Palm City, Stuart, Hobe Sound)............

Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,857 times
The Marine Oceanographic Academy has us relocating to the area. Unfortunately, all I can find is that Westwood HS is the only school in the area that offers this program. Is this correct?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 AM

21 posts, read 40,520 times
Why live there when you can just live in port st lucie or Stuart or Jensen beach. I've never been to FT pierce yet but I heard it has a lot of crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach