Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 PM

52 posts, read 160,141 times

Advertisements

If I apply for a Florida drivers license will I lose the license from the state I came from? In this case Michigan. I would like to keep my current Michigan license as well as have a Florida license. I own homes in both states.. Any knowledge on this subject would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,307,138 times
Just got my Florida license , coming from NY. They took my NY license , cut the corner off of it and gave it back....they did saynit was cancelled

Old 11-04-2011, 08:34 PM

616 posts, read 1,565,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP99C5 View Post
If I apply for a Florida drivers license will I lose the license from the state I came from? In this case Michigan. I would like to keep my current Michigan license as well as have a Florida license. I own homes in both states.. Any knowledge on this subject would be appreciated.
(b) A person who does not drive a commercial motor vehicle is not required to surrender a license issued by another jurisdiction, upon a showing to the department that such license is necessary because of employment or part-time residence. Any person who retains a driver's license because of employment or part-time residence shall, upon qualifying for a license in this state, be issued a driver's license which shall be valid within this state only. All surrendered licenses may be returned by the department to the issuing jurisdiction together with information that the licensee is now licensed in a new jurisdiction or may be destroyed by the department, which shall notify the issuing jurisdiction of such destruction. A person may not have more than one valid Florida driver's license at any time.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/FileStores/Web/Statutes/FS07/CH0322/Section_0322.03.HTM (broken link)

Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,205,704 times
The one state that I are aware of that allows you to obtain a second license is Florida. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (HSMV) states that part-time residents may elect to retain their valid out-of-state license and receive a Florida license which states "Valid in Florida Only." So in most all states one has to turn in or exchange their previous state's license for a new license when they move to a new state but FL allows you to keep your other state's license and carry a Florida only license.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
The one state that I are aware of that allows you to obtain a second license is Florida. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (HSMV) states that part-time residents may elect to retain their valid out-of-state license and receive a Florida license which states "Valid in Florida Only." So in most all states one has to turn in or exchange their previous state's license for a new license when they move to a new state but FL allows you to keep your other state's license and carry a Florida only license.

Not true! I tried that today and I was told, Under no circumstances can you have two drivers license issued at the same time from two different states! The law went into effect Jan. 2010. Under Border Land Security.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post

Not true! I tried that today and I was told, under no circumstances can you have two drivers license issued at the same time from two different states! The law went into effect Jan. 2010. Under Border Land Security.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:03 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,205,704 times
I stand corrected...

Old 11-30-2011, 08:16 PM

72 posts, read 77,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP99C5 View Post
Not true! I tried that today and I was told, Under no circumstances can you have two drivers license issued at the same time from two different states! The law went into effect Jan. 2010. Under Border Land Security.
Yup. Thank the Patriot Act for that. I got my FL license in August and they took my WI license.

Also, thanks to the Patriot Act, if you're moving from one state to another a valid DL & proof of residence isn't enough to get a DL in the new state...even though your DL # stays the same. You need a *certified* copy of your birth certificate issued by the office of births & deaths. The one they gave your mom & dad at the hospital won't cut it.

I had to do a lot of work to get one from CA, where I was born, just to get a FL DL. I was stunned when I saw my DL # was the same as it had been on my WI license. I said, "If that is, in essence, a national ID# then why do I need a *certified* copy of a birth certificate?" The woman looked at me and said, "Thank the Patriot Act."

Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillersfaninwi View Post
Yup. Thank the Patriot Act for that. I got my FL license in August and they took my WI license.

Also, thanks to the Patriot Act, if you're moving from one state to another a valid DL & proof of residence isn't enough to get a DL in the new state...even though your DL # stays the same. You need a *certified* copy of your birth certificate issued by the office of births & deaths. The one they gave your mom & dad at the hospital won't cut it.

I had to do a lot of work to get one from CA, where I was born, just to get a FL DL. I was stunned when I saw my DL # was the same as it had been on my WI license. I said, "If that is, in essence, a national ID# then why do I need a *certified* copy of a birth certificate?" The woman looked at me and said, "Thank the Patriot Act."
Because they no longer accept the old driver's license as proof as to really being you and that you are a citizen. Some of the 911 terrorists had Florida driver's license so they are trying to put a stop to issuing to people who should not be issued a USA ID card.

Also if you are a woman and your name changed because of marriage you need marriage certificate. If you are a woman and have divorced and or remarried you also may need the divorce papers to prove the name is yours.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:13 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,292 times
Anyone who has had a name change must show proof and the chain of events. Certified birth certificate, marriage license, then if you have divorced or been widowed and re-marry you must have that marriage license also. Copies are not acceptable. You must show the marriage license for each name that links up to your current last name. So, if you have been married 4 times, you must have all four marriage licenses. They did not ask for my former husbands death certificate, just the marriage licenses connecting me to each name. Oh and social security cards are not accepted as a form of ID.

Also from what I am reading, any current FL residents who have not provided this documentation yet will have to submit it when their license renewal comes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach