Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:02 PM

28 posts, read 88,716 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about settling in FL but I have a terrible fear of the cockroaches/palmettos bugs often seen in Florida. Is it reasonable to consider this move in light of this fear? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 06:21 AM

53 posts, read 96,219 times
No..you should not fear the bugs..they have their place in the eco-structure -they are friendly, silent, eat up all the crumbs (and other yuky stuff)..and they can be named and trained...when I lived in the Bronx I had several cockroach friends....they were Moe, Larry and Curly and I trained them to jump rope...So do not fear them embrace them and they will embrace you!! :-)

Old 11-13-2011, 08:16 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,199,806 times
Marvin.. I will be sure to send you some - string included when you arrive!

Ribi, no fear needed. The only time you will see them is if you have a dirty house. Maybe on occassion but no, they are not all over the place. You WILL see lizards.. they are your friend! They eat bugs. I even pick them up and put them outside if I find them in an empty house.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:14 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times
Revi>A good exterminator keeps those cockroaches away; you will never see one if you keep the exterminator (or DIY) on a regular basis.
The lizards are outside, usually around the plants. They are natural exterminators for mosquitoes and other bugs.
They are harmless.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebi View Post
We are thinking about settling in FL but I have a terrible fear of the cockroaches/palmettos bugs often seen in Florida. Is it reasonable to consider this move in light of this fear? Thanks
Roaches? You should be more worried about the snakes and alligators. That's one of the reasons I'm leaving this state come next year. I'm sick of all the nasty insects. Even being born and raised here I never got used to them in addition to the hot humid weather. My advice is, don't move here.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:49 PM

89 posts, read 194,060 times
Been here over a year never saw a Palmeto Bug. And yes I know what they look like.
Saw three snakes and alligators in our lake behind our house. Love to watch them. They are more afraid of me than I of them. lol!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:21 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Lived there for six years and never saw a palmetto bug. Have no idea what they look like. We got sprayed quarterly. Barely saw a mosquito. I highly recommend regular spraying.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:24 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,976 times
We have a pest control company that comes every 3 months. And we have a very clean home. But, yes we have seen the occasional Palmetto bug. They live in the cabbage palms. Or from what I understand, any palm.
But if you have a pest control person spray the bugs do not live long.
I do agree with the other poster, fear the snakes and gators first. Most snakes are harmless, but...
Lizards live on the outside. But some how do get into the screened pool area. We have had one in our house only once. And believe me they are more terrified of you than you of them. Never pick them by the tail either! Poor little things fall off if you do..no joke ask me how I know this

Old 12-08-2011, 06:49 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
Do not move to Florida if you fear bugs. That being said, the Palmetto bugs are like any roach, they go for dark, damp, dirty places. Stay clean, dry and do quarterly treatments and you should be ok. Floirda is not for the squeamish, nature lives here. Learn to live with it and not fear it.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 PM

72 posts, read 77,045 times
Been here since July & haven't seen one yet. And I do know what they look like.

The problem here is *ants* lol! Those damn things are everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach