Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:30 PM

30 posts, read 261,785 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've been doing as much research as I can . Still working on it. Still coming to check it out myself in October. Now, I can't decide on the exact area. I've read a lot of positive posts on all these areas. My thing is, I want to be able to enjoy the ocean without being more than 20 minutes away and community activities for my kids ( an area that is not too country). I don't need an expensive house ($300-350 range). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 11:14 PM

572 posts, read 2,088,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T27taylor View Post
Okay, I've been doing as much research as I can . Still working on it. Still coming to check it out myself in October. Now, I can't decide on the exact area. I've read a lot of positive posts on all these areas. My thing is, I want to be able to enjoy the ocean without being more than 20 minutes away and community activities for my kids ( an area that is not too country). I don't need an expensive house ($300-350 range). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Jupiter is a beautiful community and I'd highly suggest checking it out. Very expensive and has exclusive neighborhoods but people there generally seem pretty friendly. Life there is pretty laid back. If you want something more active, check out West Palm or Boynton Beach. Prices here are more reasonable than Jupiter, I believe. I don't know much about PSL or Stuart.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 PM

I checked out the WPB area (my friend lives there) and Boynton Beach. From what I read from many post and other sources, the crime rate is higher than PSL and Jupiter areas. Also, I've read that Boynton (like many areas in WPB) has its good areas and bad areas. So, what neighborhood in Boynton Beach is good for raising a family? And being able to go for walks in safe neighborhhods? Do you kow the name of any? I will be in WPC soon and I'm trying to gather as much info as possible so I can check it out. Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:23 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Those three towns are all in different counties. Of the three, the only true town is Stuart. Stuart has a traditional downtown, and is the county seat. In Florida, school districts are county wide. Martin County (Stuart) will have the best district.

Jupiter is Palm Beach County. It's bigger, and is not a traditional town. There is no downtown, just strip shoppping. Schools are Palm Beach County.

Port St. Lucie is St. Lucie County. It isn't a traditional town. It was originally a subdivision built by General Development Corporation, and was laid out with no commercial areas. As a result it is one giant sprawling entity looking for an identity. They are trying to build a downtown, but you can't build a town backwards. There are a lot of foreclosures there. The schools are St. Lucie County, which are not the best.

Port St. Lucie has no way to get to the beach-you have to drive to Martin County or to Ft. Pierce.

St. Lucie County and Palm Beach County have high rise buildings. Martin County has a height restriction. Martin County has been slow growth; building is wide open in Palm Beach County and St. Lucie County.

All three areas are quite different. Of course, they are all overun with strip centers, big box stores, and the usual other chain garbage.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:18 PM

895 posts, read 4,247,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Those three towns are all in different counties. Of the three, the only true town is Stuart. Stuart has a traditional downtown, and is the county seat. In Florida, school districts are county wide. Martin County (Stuart) will have the best district.

Jupiter is Palm Beach County. It's bigger, and is not a traditional town. There is no downtown, just strip shoppping. Schools are Palm Beach County.

Port St. Lucie is St. Lucie County. It isn't a traditional town. It was originally a subdivision built by General Development Corporation, and was laid out with no commercial areas. As a result it is one giant sprawling entity looking for an identity. They are trying to build a downtown, but you can't build a town backwards. There are a lot of foreclosures there. The schools are St. Lucie County, which are not the best.

Port St. Lucie has no way to get to the beach-you have to drive to Martin County or to Ft. Pierce.

St. Lucie County and Palm Beach County have high rise buildings. Martin County has a height restriction. Martin County has been slow growth; building is wide open in Palm Beach County and St. Lucie County.

All three areas are quite different. Of course, they are all overun with strip centers, big box stores, and the usual other chain garbage.
This was a great post and on the money. I lived in Jupiter for years and just found it to be a part of north Palm Beach County suburban sprawl. It's safe and there aren't very many "bad" areas. The schools are good. For daily shopping and activities, I stayed in Jupiter. There's everything you want to do with your kids right in your very own zip code. For bigger shopping and restaurants, I headed to Palm Beach Gardens or West Palm Beach.

I liked Stuart but don't know much about it. I enjoyed going to restaurants and walking around (they have Chuck E. Cheese there!) but I always felt that it was to suburban IMO.

When you visit in October (the weather will be fabulous then too!), take a couple of hours and drive around each area. By the end of Day 1, you should be able to nail down what you do and don't like and then spend the next day looking at houses. The most important thing is where the things are for your family. Try googling each town and activities that your kids like--for example, Jupiter has karate, dance, art, gymboree, my gym, etc. all within a 10-minute drive of Indiantown Road (the main road in town). I don't know about PSL or Stuart but I would think Stuart would be on par. PSL still seems to be a little smaller and behind in growth.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:59 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
I've lived in Jupiter and Port St. Lucie.

Port Saint Lucie is the safest city of the three, crime wise. You can also find a lot more house for the money, and if you live in the Eastern part of the City, you will be within 10-15 minutes of the beach. (Walton Road to Indian River Drive to the Causeway to the Beach!). Some people complain about the schools, but I'm a graduate of St. Lucie County schools and turned out well, lol. Port St. Lucie continues to grow and change, so it's an interesting place to be. If you like family neighborhoods, check out Tradition in the Western part of the city (though you'll be 30 mins from the beach or so, depending on traffic).

Jupiter is the "nicest" city of the three. Good schools, beautiful beaches, low crime, lots of money in the area, but the most expensive option for housing. You won't get as much for the money, that's for sure! It's closer to "things to do" than any of the other options.

In my opinion, Stuart is kind of a mix between the two. It's less materialistic than Jupiter, for sure, has a "small town" feel with supposed better schools than Port Saint Lucie, but also higher crime. There's more money in Martin County, and housing is a lot more expensive, but I honestly don't know anything about "living" there or the types of housing or neighborhoods to live in, though.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:36 PM

Populations- Martin County-139,393
Stuart-16,155
Palm City-(year 2000): 20,097

St. Lucie County-252,724
Pt. St. Lucie- 143,868

Palm Beach County-1,274,013
Jupiter-48,847

Old 09-12-2007, 09:32 PM

Do you know what zip code Tradition is in PSL? I've been trying to find areas zoned for "better graded" schools.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:08 AM

Thanx 5FLgirls, TriMT7, and Lilybeans- for all the help. I can't wait to see all these areas. I'm kinda of torn between more house for the money in PSL or closer to the beach in Martin county. Guess we'll just wait and see in October. Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T27taylor View Post
Thanx 5FLgirls, TriMT7, and Lilybeans- for all the help. I can't wait to see all these areas. I'm kinda of torn between more house for the money in PSL or closer to the beach in Martin county. Guess we'll just wait and see in October. Thanks again.
Martin County has had higher home values over the years. I just read yesterday that Martin is expected to emerge from the housing problems earlier than St. Lucie county. Schools are far and away better and safer in Martin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach