Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 AM

361 posts, read 749,815 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a house in the Port St. Lucie area. One of the houses I'm interested in I have noticed that it appears to have an issue with "hard water". It appears to use municipal water too. Is this a known issue in the Port St. Lucie area? I've tried to google around to see if others are experiencing this but have come up short.

Any help or insight on this issue is appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,321 times
Check with the Utility company. I have never had this problem. May be they are on a well. Best way to tell is if there is a big green disk on one side of the house and an alarm on the side of the house near the disk. If so you have city water. If not then more than likely it is a well. I know it can be expensive to shift over.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:17 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,372,861 times
Hard water can be corrected easily with a water softener. Easy to install and it does the job. City or well water is usually hard.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,197,930 times
Some areas of PSL don't have city water. Mine is PSL Utilities and it's fine. When I lived in Jensen we had a different water source and it was AWFUL when the water softener was low on salt. UGH!

You CAN ask to see just homes that are on Water and Sewer -- and not well / septic. Be advised that if a home is on well water and you are getting a mortgage the lender MAY REQUIRE you to hook up to city water. That becomes a problem in purchasing the home then.. who PAYS for doing that?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslhomie View Post
Check with the Utility company. I have never had this problem. May be they are on a well. Best way to tell is if there is a big green disk on one side of the house and an alarm on the side of the house near the disk. If so you have city water. If not then more than likely it is a well. I know it can be expensive to shift over.

Actually, that green disk is part of the SEWER system. Its a grinder. What it does is grind up the things in the sewer before it sends them on. We don't have hills in Florida so that is what they are for. Has nothing to do with water.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,837 times
Septic pros and cons. My cousin lives in the panhandle and recommended to me to avoid a septic system. Sooner or later the authorities will discourage them and put in place penalties and the cost of converting is very high, plus the are not fool proof. Septic made sense in the rural areas be concentrations of people and septic systems can cause contamination of ground water. Avoid shallow well water in septic areas.
Sid

Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,321 times
Once again you are correct about the green disk however I was under the impression that it goes along with the city water hook up. Like I said the best way to know is to check with the utility that you pay your water bill to. I guess you could have your water analized but I would do the check with the water company first. It is certainly cheaper.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
Septic pros and cons. My cousin lives in the panhandle and recommended to me to avoid a septic system. Sooner or later the authorities will discourage them and put in place penalties and the cost of converting is very high, plus the are not fool proof. Septic made sense in the rural areas be concentrations of people and septic systems can cause contamination of ground water. Avoid shallow well water in septic areas.
Sid

Sid, you live in New Orleans, not yet in Florida, and the panhandle of Florida is different from here. Septic systems are common here in older homes in this area. The homes I am sending you to look at do not have well or septic.

Some people here still want septic since it's cheaper. You just have to have it inspected properly to know if it's ok. That is also why you see homes with very high front yards and GREEN grass. They also don't have disposals.

Many have wells for watering the lawns only. You just have to dig deep enough not to have the rust /orange color or the smell... many didn't.

You can still drill a well for watering purposes if you want to. One of my friends has a company that does that and from what I understand you need to go down a certain number of feet before hitting good water. You also need someone who knows how to find that depth before you drill.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 AM

361 posts, read 749,815 times
The house I am looking at was built after 2006 and it is listed with "Util:PUBLIC WATER, PUBLIC SEWER". I'm pretty sure it uses city water and not a well. I still need to look further into it but I did notice rust around the drain rings in the bathroom sinks and also some rust near the neck of the shower head where it connects into the wall. My research has led me to believe this is because of hard water / mineral deposits.

Just trying to find out more information about this.

Thanks everybody for the responses

Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 AM

I suggest you call the PSL Water Dept and ask them about your specific address.

(772) 871-5330
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach