Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 PM

910 posts, read 2,217,763 times

Advertisements

I know there are some restrictions on bringing plants into Florida, mainly "no citrus trees allowed" but what about other houseplants ? Has anyone moved to Florida with their houseplants ? I have several tropicals (hibiscus mainly) that I would love to plant in our new yard, when we do get a house in Florida. Poor dears have survived in pots in Ohio for years, spending half of each year under grow lights in the basement. It would be nice to be able to plant them in a climate where they can thrive. I know I can buy new ones when we get there, but I'm kind of attached to these, having had them so long. I can't imagine just abandoning them !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:54 PM

161 posts, read 412,533 times
I brought my houseplants. We had them in the moving truck and the officer at the Ag Station looked right at them and said nothing. If you move them in your car then it would not even be an issue, but I doubt you will have a problem either way.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:59 AM

Thanks Dodgegirl ! That is a relief to know. It's funny how attached you can get to plants you have had for years. A couple of my bougainvilleas are almost 30 years old.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
You're supposed to stop at the ag station for inspection for plants in the car as well, but few if any do.

Just be honest and tell the inspector you have houseplants in the truck, they may or may not want to look at them.

They are looking for a number of things, not just citrus canker, which is why all plants must be declared.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
I can't offer much advice about plants as I left all mine behind. I would like to say that you may want to consider getting rid of a lot of furniture, knick knacks, and whatnot. After moving 50 years of accumulations all that distance, we donated 50-60 percent of it in the first few weeks after our arrival. Just a thought.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I can't offer much advice about plants as I left all mine behind. I would like to say that you may want to consider getting rid of a lot of furniture, knick knacks, and whatnot. After moving 50 years of accumulations all that distance, we donated 50-60 percent of it in the first few weeks after our arrival. Just a thought.
I got rid of two truck loads of donated stuff--furniture, clothing, books, you name it before I moved, and still ended up giving away carloads more after I got here.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:21 AM

198 posts, read 464,087 times
If you get them certified by your own state of Ag then the paperwork can be handed at the inspection station. At least you would have certification.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:58 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times
I can relate to your attachment to those plants, as I love my plants.

Be aware, there will be so many plants here for you to grow that you will be in paradise!!

As for other stuff, like others are telling you, you get rid of much of that stuff before coming to FL and after you are here.....You again get rid of more stuff.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:21 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Quote:
you get rid of much of that stuff before coming to FL and after you are here.....You again get rid of more stuff.
This might be why there are so many thrift stores in this town! I love "puttering" in thrift stores, consignment shops, etc. so when I moved here I was like a pig in slop. It sure beats just tossing the stuff in the trash.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:43 PM

We have made so many trips to Goodwill to donate stuff that I think they should name an annex after us ! Needless to say, years of sweaters, coats, sweatshirts and the like are leaving the house. The books are the most difficult thing to sort - but they take up the most space and weight in a move, so I am trying to be merciless....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach