Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 77,270 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are thinking about moving to Vero Beach at the end of this month from Birmingham AL and wanting to know the good and bad about the area? We are also considering St. Petersburg FL - which one is better? Examples: jobs, crime, friendly, arts, entertainment, etc. Please help! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,107 times
Other listers are sure to jump in but your questions are too broad. What are your reasons for looking in PSL, what do you want? I live in Louisiana and can tell you Florida as a whole is very different so the hard part is for you to determine your " must haves". I am still undecided after 9 months.
Sid

Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 PM

7 posts, read 77,270 times
Well the main thing is the job market. My partner is an artist (abstract oil) and I am a teacher (elementary level). Also is it a "walkable" city or does it have public transportation? How diverse is Vero beach?

Old 05-25-2012, 02:39 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUBhamguy33 View Post
Well the main thing is the job market. My partner is an artist (abstract oil) and I am a teacher (elementary level). Also is it a "walkable" city or does it have public transportation? How diverse is Vero beach?
The job market is not good, although, being a teacher may be viable. There is also a sizable art community. Vero is not really walkable except for a few neighborhoods on the barrier island. Public transportation is limited.GoLineIRT.com - Indian River Transit - GoLine bus transit
As for diversity, not so much. But, it's beautiful, laid back, and surprisingly sophisticated.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:00 AM

42 posts, read 145,622 times
Have you thought about Sarasota? I know there are teaching jobs. A friend got hired quickly and as far as artsy, SRQ is very artsy. We have a friend who is actually opening an art center in a nearby community this weekend.

Sarasota is walkable, has great public transportation and is very diverse. There is a something for everything in Sarasota. It's worth a visit visit and that way you can see for yourself.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 78,071 times
Pros and Cons Vero Beach, Pros: Low crime, light traffic, moderate priced restaurants, moderate cost housing, friendly people, wonderful east sea breeze, new Performing Arts Theatre,
Cons: Slow growth, Job opportunites low, few restaurants, very limited shopping, zoning is amost non existant, residential areas lack regulations, very small art museum, beach area nice but a lot of beach erosion.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:32 PM

Default Pros and Cons of Vero Beach, Fl

[quote=alexanderGBell6;24549982]Pros and Cons Vero Beach, Pros: Low crime, light traffic, moderate priced restaurants, moderate cost housing, friendly people, wonderful east sea breeze, new Performing Arts Theatre, Good Heart Hospital
Cons: Slow growth, Job opportunites low, few restaurants, very limited shopping, zoning is amost non existant, residential areas lack regulations, very small art museum, beach area nice but a lot of beach erosion, population mostly elderly, town has limited night life.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 PM

[quote=alexanderGBell6;24550110]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderGBell6 View Post
Pros and Cons Vero Beach, Pros: Low crime, light traffic, moderate priced restaurants, moderate cost housing, friendly people, wonderful east sea breeze, new Performing Arts Theatre, Good Heart Hospital
Cons: Slow growth, Job opportunites low, few restaurants, very limited shopping, zoning is amost non existant, residential areas lack regulations, very small art museum, beach area nice but a lot of beach erosion, population mostly elderly, town has limited night life.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:55 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
Mr. Bell, this is Watson. Remove your cursor from the "submit" button..........Just kidding.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:57 PM

910 posts, read 2,218,742 times
Thanks for the list of pros and cons, Alexander (what, no mention of the phone service in the area ?). I love all the Pros, and most of the Cons do not concern me, being retired myself (though not yet in the elderly category!). I am disappointed about the beach erosion - there certainly is less beach than, say, in Daytona - and I must admit I wish the waves were a bit more vigorous. But I didn't get the impression that the art museum is small, considering the size of the town. We didn't get a chance to see the interior, but from the outside, it appeared larger than the museum in Columbus, Ohio, which is a MUCH larger city. I can't wait to move to Vero Beach !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach