Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2022, 11:27 AM

453 posts, read 300,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batro516 View Post
Jeez, why and who made that decision of putting a free standing Subway? Would have preferred that to be a Starbucks.
Do you think there's some fascist government boss of business somewhere that makes "decisions" on what businesses are allowed somewhere?

Restaurants and Other Eating Places | Open MyFlorida Business

Subway is an independent business and can decide where they want to build/operate and they also sell franchises. They only go through the typical everyday permitting processes.

They even offer non-traditional partnerships with places like hospitals, movie theaters, CHURCHES.

There's a Chick fil a in the Toyota dealer in Vero.

https://www.subway.com/en-us/ownafra...ionalLocations

Last edited by huitrecouture; 08-26-2022 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 04:46 PM

403 posts, read 1,079,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
Do you think there's some fascist government boss of business somewhere that makes "decisions" on what businesses are allowed somewhere?

Restaurants and Other Eating Places | Open MyFlorida Business

Subway is an independent business and can decide where they want to build/operate and they also sell franchises. They only go through the typical everyday permitting processes.

They even offer non-traditional partnerships with places like hospitals, movie theaters, CHURCHES.

There's a Chick fil a in the Toyota dealer in Vero.

https://www.subway.com/en-us/ownafra...ionalLocations
As a matter of fact, developed cities indeed have restrictions to control what type of establishment is appropriate and can ice out certain businesses, heights, sight lines, etc. Los Angeles, for example, did not allow buildings taller than city hall for almost 50 years. 50 years later new buildings cannot block the sight lines to city hall from the city at large. Likewise, some businesses do not fit the fabric of communities and as cities develop and experience increased blight, do indeed, restrict the types of businesses that can open. Locally, in Port St Lucie we have seen this with supportive housing for those experiencing addiction. I know this is going to turn political because people can’t help themselves, but this is true from coast to coast.

Old 09-20-2022, 05:04 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,403 times
While there certainly are zoning restrictions, site plan approvals and such controls that places limits on businesses wishing to open in certain places, the business chooses where they want to operate within those limits placed on them. It's not like City X calls up McDonalds and orders them to build a restaurant on Main Street. The corporation does studies and has financial reports compiled that will tell them whether they will benefit from opening a location in a certain area, and the corporation ultimately decides whether to pursue it further. I think what the other poster was addressing is this tendency of some people to believe that governmental entities (local governments, especially) go out and recruit certain businesses to build in their localities, which is rarely the case. Quite the opposite occurs more often, where a business entity expresses interest in building in the area but encounters so much opposition from local leaders through bureaucratic delays and NIMBY-ish grand-standing that the business withdraws its interest and moves on.

I sometimes see websites (usually affiliated with local newspapers) put up articles asking readers to suggest businesses they'd like to see open in their area. A nice idea for some online interaction, but the respondents often phrase their suggestions like "the city ought to have a gas station built on that street" or "the county should build a mall in that area"---speaking as if all businesses in the area are there because local leaders told them to build there. In terms of those online "wish-list" articles, a fan of a certain business would be best-served to express their hopes to the business, not the local government officials. There is unfortunately a sizeable number of people who don't understand what gets a business opened, much less all the stumbling blocks and other factors set up against that business's desires.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:29 AM

481 posts, read 759,032 times
St. Lucie schools accelerates construction to keep up with growth

Quote:
The schools in south county are full, even as developers plan thousands more homes for families looking to settle in and around Tradition, district officials say.

"All schools in the (Tradition zone) are just packed to the brim with students," Superintendent Jon Prince told the School Board recently as it discussed how the district will handle the explosive growth.

Currently, every school in the Port St. Lucie/Tradition zone is at capacity, Prince said. Developers are pressing the district about construction timelines for new schools, he said. Growth is occurring throughout the county, but the north county is growing at a much slower pace than the south, Prince said. Several schools in north county, referred to as the Green Zone, are under-enrolled, he said.
https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/ed...h/70256413007/

Old 06-15-2023, 04:42 PM

Burlington (formerly Burlington Coat Factory) is opening a store in Jensen Beach in the shopping center where Hobby Lobby currently operates at the intersection of US 1 and Jensen Beach Boulevard.

Old 08-22-2023, 05:24 AM

481 posts, read 759,032 times
Signs suggest a massive Buc-ees gas station and food retailer might be built into a 33-acre travel center, with 120 fuel pumps, in St. Lucie County.

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/lo...y/70640487007/

Old 09-12-2023, 05:16 PM

According to one of those annoying "Google Ads" in the periphery of another website I visit, The Fresh Market in Tradition is supposed to open tomorrow (9/13) at 8am. And yet when I looked elsewhere for confirmation, I saw nothing. Even the company website doesn't say a thing other than it "coming soon" as it has since last year. So I'm not even sure if I ought to mention it here, since there doesn't seem to be any company confirmation. I mean, I am familiar with the concept of a "soft opening" but this is ridiculous.

Old 09-13-2023, 09:09 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,199,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
According to one of those annoying "Google Ads" in the periphery of another website I visit, The Fresh Market in Tradition is supposed to open tomorrow (9/13) at 8am. And yet when I looked elsewhere for confirmation, I saw nothing. Even the company website doesn't say a thing other than it "coming soon" as it has since last year. So I'm not even sure if I ought to mention it here, since there doesn't seem to be any company confirmation. I mean, I am familiar with the concept of a "soft opening" but this is ridiculous.
Drove by last night...it's true they opened at 8am this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach