Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 04:32 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,198,651 times

Advertisements

Forbes names Port St. Lucie again for potential job growth

For the second year in a row, Forbes.com has recognized Port St. Lucie as one of the 10 best cities in the U.S. for job growth, saying that retiring baby boomers in Florida are creating an increasing need for services that create jobs.

Coming in 9th on the Forbes list, Port St. Lucie is projected to see a 3.7 percent increase in jobs over the next year. Five other Florida cities are on the list also, including Naples, which tops the list with its 4.6 percent projected growth in jobs.

Port St. Lucie has been getting increased attention nationally in recent years for its many successes and for its opportunities. It has been acknowledged by Bloomberg Business, Investor’s Business Daily, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal and other organizations for job growth, potential business growth, housing growth and the quality of life available to residents.

Graphic: The 10 Best And Worst Cities For Job Growth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 06:30 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,865,463 times
Are these quality jobs? The biggest industries that Seniors need are hospitals, nursing homes and restaurants. The trouble with our economy these days is that we produce nothing and consume everything in site. It is no wonder that you hear people talking about raising the minimum wage to $15 for jobs that used to be career starting jobs not career jobs.

Home Depot is a great example. Have you noticed that a lot of their hires are older workers? My guess is that they know these people love working part time and many do not require benefits because they have Social Security and Medicare. Hey I may be one of them in 10 years LOL.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:26 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times
Well the unfortunate reality post NAFTA (thank congress and the veto proof vote and a president that didn't fight it) is we are now a service based economy. Not only that but one where the low end jobs are getting replaced by automation at a faster and faster pace. While health care is one of the few high paying jobs with little chance to be replaced in the near future by automation, it also has to deal with the upcoming and inevitable demise of the baby boomers.

We traded good blue collar livelihood for cheaper prices as we exploit third world labor. Everyone is a party to this as we all voted with our wallets since the 90's.

As more and more jobs get replaced with automation we'll be forced to rethink our economic system. Reality of the future will be huge segments of the population unemployed as cashiers, warehouse, waiters, bar tenders and many other paper pusher type professions get replaced by automation or outsourced.

Also, before someone complains about discussion in the development thread don't post articles like that and expect no discussion.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:31 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,615 times
I drove down PSL blvd yesterday going towards US1 from Gatlin and noticed a silt fence being put up just after Thirsty Turtle. Anyone know what is going in there?

Old 08-24-2015, 04:42 PM

I would bet its the Greek Restaurant!!

HomeGoods is now open and the signs out front say Tijuana Flats and Chedders are under construction, but slow.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:50 PM

Interesting! I didn't know anything about that. Same owners as Olympic Taverna and Spiros? My friend said it was a Gentle Dental today. I guess we will have to wait and see!

I have friends that went to Homegoods this weekend. They said it was packed but had some great deals in there! I may go on Friday.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:53 PM

nope.....there is a thread on here. Suprised you missed it! Homemade fresh Greek food ! YUM

I went to Homegoods on Fri night opening... didnt leave with anything....this time

Old 08-24-2015, 05:12 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
I drove down PSL blvd yesterday going towards US1 from Gatlin and noticed a silt fence being put up just after Thirsty Turtle. Anyone know what is going in there?
If it's an empty lot it could be their expanded parking lot.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:34 PM

8 posts, read 12,015 times
Does anyone know what is going on on Becker rd west of i-95?

And of course I moved here recently and loved the tax letter sent by the county. Did that get approved or what?

Old 09-02-2015, 06:11 AM

Nothing right now migueralliart. There was plans for a mall, but that was during the building boom. Since the recession, Southern Grove is nothing more than a thoroughfare to the interstate and Tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach