Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 PM

8 posts, read 20,714 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I'm considering purchasing a manufactured home in Port St. Lucie.

I've been working and traveling overseas for several years and I'm concerned about losing my residency, so I thought I might make a purchase to maintain residency stateside (but I'm still planning on traveling and living overseas, part year stateside, part year overseas).

What are the pro's and con's of buying a manufactured home in Port t. Lucie? (costs, safety, convenience, etc.).

Is it easy or difficult to rent out manufactured homes?

Could I use a realtor to check on the property when I'm on travel?

Are all the manufactured home residential areas retiree only or are some mixed ages?

I saw some listings today with really low prices and the photos look okay so I have to wonder what I might be missing.

8206 East Bitterbush Lane, Port Saint Lucie FL - Trulia

3400 Feriwinkle Court, Port Saint Lucie FL - Trulia

http://www.trulia.com/property/3009531032-3400-Feriwinkle-Ct-Port-Saint-Lucie-FL-34952
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,151 times
No way would I personally own one. If I were you, I would consider a condo instead. Buy a 1 bedroom for a similar price and just have a realty company lease it for you. I would feel much better knowing a condo is built a little stronger than a mobile home. Plus, you know the exterior of a condo will be maintained vs letting a renter junk up the outside of your rental. I would be able to sleep alot better at night with a condo vs a manufactured home. Just my $.02...

Old 09-01-2012, 07:29 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,912 times
First of all, it's a retirement community. Age restricted 55+. Secondly, I heard that area floods. Third, I would think insurance would be prohibitively expensive. Only pro is the purchase price. SeeTheUsa gave you some good advice.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:04 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,210,090 times
I agree with the previous posters. Manufactured homes are generally not a good idea in Florida with the risk of hurricanes. I would also imagine they would be difficult to rent out and if you were able to rent it I don't know that the renters would be the most likely to take proper care of the property. I also think a condo wouls be the better option for you.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:26 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,169,570 times
Are manufactured homes even allowed in St. Lucie County with the new hurricane rules. Only the old ones are grandfathered in is what I thought was happening down south. A friend who lives in a large golf community that is retirement area on the Indian River/St. Lucie line area told me years ago they were no longer allowed to fill the lots with double wides and when we went down to visit she showed me the 2 bedroom homes being built on the doublewide lots instead.

To me that says....stay away from mobile homes that sometimes cost the same as a block home. Even with TS Isaac clear across the state a tornado spawned from it got double wides in Vero Beach this week. Hurricanes and tornadoes tend to almost aim at mobile home communities. Yes, I realize that is not true, but look at the damage from 2004 hurricanes and much of it is in mobile home communities along the Indian River in Brevard, Indian Ricver, and St. Lucie counties.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,197,078 times
Manufactured homes are allowed. The other reason to consider a condo instead of a manufactured home is most have a lot RENTAL.. you dont actually OWN the land it sits on. Some were able to purchase their property ....most were not. The land rent alone can be as much as $450 a MONTH in addition to the HOA fee.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Manufactured homes are allowed. The other reason to consider a condo instead of a manufactured home is most have a lot RENTAL.. you dont actually OWN the land it sits on. Some were able to purchase their property ....most were not. The land rent alone can be as much as $450 a MONTH in addition to the HOA fee.
I don't think they have lot rent there because it lists property taxes of a little over $1100 They wouldn't charge that much for tax plus lot rent would they? If they do that would be a good reason to look for a house.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:27 AM

Harry... its not rent- its a 99 year land lease --go back to that link on Feriwinkle.... under and to the right of the photo- along that black line

see LAND LEASE $430

I know... its a LOT OF MONEY in addition to the HOA fee of only $148/mo

Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Harry... its not rent- its a 99 year land lease --go back to that link on Feriwinkle.... under and to the right of the photo- along that black line

see LAND LEASE $430

I know... its a LOT OF MONEY in addition to the HOA fee of only $148/mo
But what I meant was there is a listing of property taxes of $1100. Is that covered by the lease or is it in addition to it? If you're paying all the fees, it's $8000 a year. More than half the purchase price.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 AM

the land lease money goes to the company that owns the land -- which is NOT the city.

The person who has it listed is with my office and they live there too. I took a tour of the homes there and it was so complicated with who had a land lease and who didn't and who paid what.... I thought it was out of site to pay that much for a mobile home community, but they seem to think that the activities etc. they have there were worth it.
I would be referring out (for free) anyone that was looking to purchase in there.

the mobile home is assessed at $54,600....which is usually approx 80% of the value. Not in this case.

They are asking $15,500 for it... it sold for $15,000 a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach