Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 07:50 PM

16 posts, read 58,754 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I moved to Torino about 6 years ago and while I love many things about the area, I cannot stand the traffic noise. My husband doesn't mind it (much). Reality is, he didn't think it was such an issue when I complained about it prior to moving here but now we both recognize how truly frustrating it can be (though he will never admit it).

I recognize that we made the decision to move here and so we must live with the consequences, but I can't help wondering why we cannot have some sound barriers along I95 in Torino. The noise permeates the entire neighborhood and sometimes I wonder if it's just me and everyone else is either immune or deaf.

I recently visited a friend who lives in the Heights neighborhood in Jupiter which is adjacent to I95. I remember looking in that area years ago and while it wasn't for me, I do recall it suffering a bit from noise pollution due to its proximity to I95. Well, I sat in my friend's backyard one evening and we were having such a lovely time, I actually forgot that we were so close to the highway. Sound barrier walls were erected a few years back and WOW, what a tremendous difference! Talk about improvement in the quality of life! When I returned home, I thought, man, we need to get some of those ASAP!

I understand that there are criteria that have to be met in order to be considered (number of lanes etc.), but as I sit at my kitchen table listening to every car and truck ride by, I find it hard to believe that the decibel level in my community is acceptable.

How are others faring in this area? I am considering monitoring and recording some of the noise levels followed by initiating a grassroots effort to get this addressed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or knowledge concerning the history in this area and whether or not any plans are on the books for sound barriers in this area?

Are you with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,199,806 times
Hearing the noise from I95 and the turnpike is something- that a lot of people address when they are in that area. Some hear it and it annoys them, some don't even notice it at all.

It's interesting that it sometimes depends on where you moved from. I noticed that people from NY or any other busy area dont hear it. They actually like noise since they had so much more where they moved from.

On the other hand my one of my recent clients and I searched all different areas of Torino till we found a house where they could not hear the noise.

Noise from I95 and the turnpike carry long distances, especially if it's been raining.

If enough people complain, I'm sure the city would address it.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,951 times
If you drive I-95 at all, you will notice that St Lucie county doesn't use that much sound barrier fencing at all. I've only seen it just recently being placed up north towards Vero at the trailer park. It is a win-win because they get noise relief and I don't have to look at the trailers anymore!

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 PM

Yes, interestingly enough, a couple of my neighbors are from NY and the noise doesn't bother them in the least. I am from NJ and I lived on a main road (maybe a secondary road) but not near the highway. When I went inside, I didn't hear a thing. Also, I could enjoy sitting on my back porch undisturbed by the rode noise as well.

I did live in another section of PSL prior to moving here and although this house is a bit larger and in some ways an upgrade, I miss my quiet neighborhood with my quiet screened in patio.

When there is a storm coming in, it is unbearable. It truly does depend upon which way the wind is blowing. However, the noise is more often than not, unreasonably loud and unacceptable.

Thanks for your responses. I am going to look into what prompted the addition of barriers in Vero. I wonder if this was for sound or due to it perhaps?? being unsightly to some? Where is this again?

I long for a more reasonable quality of life. I am back at my kitchen table and all I hear is the endless stream of traffic along the highway. This cannot be good for children playing outside. Again, I know I chose to live here but the city/state should not allow building so close to these highways and by ways if the noise is unreasonable and potentially unsafe.

Thanks again for your input.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:49 PM

403 posts, read 1,079,690 times
If I'm not wrong the area with the sound wall north of Indrio Rd got it because I-95 is expanding to add additional lanes. I-95 around Torino will be expanded also but construction hasn't started. I anticipate anywhere there are homes next to I-95 will get a sound wall when it's expanded but who knows when construction will actually commence. I believe there are or have been plans for community outreach but you'd have to look that up.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:38 PM

Thank you!! I found the information but I am unsure as to whether or not I can publish a link. Just google:
i95stluciepde.

All of the background information is there along with contact information should we have any questions. It seems this is in the works but still quite a few years off. Must run. . . will review and check in later.

Thanks to all.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 PM

34 posts, read 53,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
If you drive I-95 at all, you will notice that St Lucie county doesn't use that much sound barrier fencing at all. I've only seen it just recently being placed up north towards Vero at the trailer park. It is a win-win because they get noise relief and I don't have to look at the trailers anymore!

Good luck!
If they hadn't taken out the mature trees to widen the highway we would not have been able to see the trailers in the first place. The people that live there must be so disappointed.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
Good luck!
That trailer park puts up nice Christmas lights during the Christmas holidays. I always love to see those lights when I drive pass them. I was told that the sound walls around that area are being put up by the trailer park developer.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 AM

37 posts, read 79,993 times
Before we ultimately bought our home in the Lakes at Tradition, we looked at some houses in PGA. One in particular that we found on our own in the newspaper. It was an absolutely beautiful home, but when we arrived there, we found that it was backed up to I-95. It was amazing. You would stand in the backyard, and the road noise was so loud, we had trouble hearing each other talking. The owner said that could be fixed with a backyard bubbling water fountain. Righhhhht. We still chuckle about that. Once inside, the noise abated, but we like being out in our lanai - so purchasing a house so close to I-95 or any busy road, was out of the question. Also, there were tons of unsightly electrical wires over I-95 that were visible, together with the street lamps which would be on all night. We have noticed that possibly a couple of years ago, PGA put up their own stone privacy/possibly sound walls along that same area. Those people sat with that house for a very long time.

This is one of the reasons why location is so important - especially if down the road you decide you want to sell that house. Always buy a house with a view toward selling it at some point. If it bothers you, it will bother a potential purchaser. I know this doesn't help you in your situation, and I apologize about that, but it might help others who are reading this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach