Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM

361 posts, read 750,055 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Within the last year I purchased a home in PSL. I bought using only half of what the bank was willing to lend to me. I love the new home and the location. Here is one thing I have been thinking about lately:
My home is a corner lot. To the side of it there is a 1/4 acre wooded vacant lot. My property is fenced in by a wooden fence but my bedroom window faces this wooded lot. (Not the best thing to look at sometimes) The property is not listed for sale. I looked the property up online and I found that it was bought in the height of the market 2008 for $25,000 by a gentleman in his late 60's from NY.
I'm really interested in trying to acquire this property to use for future expansion. My goal would be to either get financing (money is cheap right now so that might do) or if necessary I can use cash on it.
Can anybody give tips or advice on how to plan the road map for this adventure? Should I just call the property owner and straight up ask? I think it's best if I don't state upfront that I live next door incase the property owner tries to use that against me in negotiations. But it also might be better to be upfront and clear on my intentions.
I'd love to hear any thoughts/advice or input on this.
Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,866,005 times
The lot is worth 8k at the most now. I doubt they will sell but you can send them a letter and ask.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 AM

361 posts, read 750,055 times
Just checked Google streetview and apparently they had a for sale sign in front of the property in April 2011

Old 12-17-2012, 12:30 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
If you don't ask, the answer is always no.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 AM

910 posts, read 2,219,282 times
I agree that it can't hurt to ask. Chances are the owner still wants to get rid of it. Good idea to do research into the cost of vacant lots so you know how much to offer. I wouldn't mention that you live next door until you get a feel for how open the owner is to selling. He may think it is worth more as a building site as opposed to a land expansion - or vice versa ! He should expect to take a loss on it based on current prices. Any way you can find out what it was listed for in 2011 ? Good luck ! Let us know what happens.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:00 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,951 times
Default Lot for sale

When I inquired about a lot a realtor cautioned me because of the cost of improving a lot can be high especially if it needs to be filled, plus there may be liens against the land.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,204,029 times
Every lot has to be graded and filled. Leins are found out by the title company prior to closing. If there are leins on it you simply state in the contract that they will be paid off by the seller by closing.

I can look and see what, if any, lots have been sold in your area if you want - just message me

Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 PM

53 posts, read 66,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Every lot has to be graded and filled. Leins are found out by the title company prior to closing. If there are leins on it you simply state in the contract that they will be paid off by the seller by closing.

I can look and see what, if any, lots have been sold in your area if you want - just message me
Im just reading through the forum as im noticing alot of things are alot different down there as to here in Clay county. Im hearing about things we have never herd of before & living in the country now vs more city life if we move that way. What do you mean by all lots must be graded and filled?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:20 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,204,029 times
if you are going to build a house you have to get a permit, the lot has to be graded and filled to a specific level above the level of the road for drainage. Best bet is to call the county building and zoning dept and ask them specific questions.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:25 AM

472 posts, read 668,897 times
I think the OP mostly want to know how to get the lot from the owner. The answer depends on how much the OP wants the lot. The easiest way is to contact the owner and give a casual offer a little higher than the market worth. It should be a win-win deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach