Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,009,330 times

Advertisements

We came across this master planned community in a feature of the 100 Best Master Planned Communities. We like planned communities. We live in a seaport city (pop 18K) now in New England where the homes are very close together and we can walk to everything. We love that. So much of what we have looked at elsewhere was spread out sprawl that involved driving everywhere. Not for us.

So.... a few questions....

Unfortunately, the Tradition website leaves a lot to be desired. No photos of the community, no tab of Resale Homes available, no explanation of the different neighborhoods and prices within each. No mention of how far to the ocean.

So can anyone tell us:

Just how BIG is this place - it appears enormous.
What are the amenities - tennis, pools, etc - I don't understand why this information is not on the website, unless I am looking at the wrong website.
Pricing - what does a simple one story 3 BR/2BA, 1,800 sq ft home go for?
Is there a (good) hospital nearby?
Is there a vet and a 24 hr animal hospital nearby?
Is it in a flood zone?

Also on the list was Heritage Isle, Melbourne, and Woodfield of Vero Beach. Could we see these on the same trip to see Tradition? Where would we fly into?

Can anyone shed light on how Melbourne, Vero Beach and Port St. Lucie differ as far as safety and ambience and services, as well as distance to the ocean? We don't want ocean view, we don't have that now, but we are close - a block from the river that leads to the ocean, and less than a mile from the open ocean.

Lots of events, a safe community - that's what we are looking for elsewhere.

Any info anyone can provide would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM

89 posts, read 194,060 times
The Tradition area sprung out of the ground about 2004 and most of the infrastructure was in place (which is how it is done here in FL) before the homes. There are about 7 or 8 different neighborhoods. In our neighborhood, Heritage Oaks, you can buy home for about one third to one half the cost of 2007 build prices. Homes in Heritage Oaks are from 1400 sq. ft to about 1900 sq. ft. In FL they count the outdoor lanai and any patios in the living space so be careful you do not under estimate the actual inside space under roof.
You may have to put another $25k into it to get it the way you want but great value for the money. Other neighborhoods are a little higher. New home construction in Bedford Park are about $240k for something in the 2000 sq. ft. area. I would guess that homes in the size you are asking about range from $125 to $300k. Like I said prices are still depressed here so most are deals for the taking. Bank sales are not as plentiful as they were a few years ago nor are they as cheap but they are out there.
HOA fees vary depending on where you buy. So do taxes but if you homestead you can save up to 40%. There are two HOA fees, one for the master community and one for the area you live. Our here runs about $295 for both a month. In your taxes there will also be a bond fee assessed to every owner of about $840 a year. This is a 20 year bond starting with the first owner until the 20 years is up. In other words if you bought a home that is five years old you have another 15 years left on the bond.
Everything you can think of is nearby. They are currently building a 90 bed hospital in Tradition as well. There are many activities going on at different times of the year.
The area is not in flood zone.
Nearest airport is West Palm Beach about 45 minutes. Ft. Lauderdale is about 90 minutes south. Vero and Melbourne are north about 30 and 60 minutes respectfully.
From Tradition to Jensen Beach is 19 miles east.
Hope I have answered most of your concerns.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
We came across this master planned community in a feature of the 100 Best Master Planned Communities. We like planned communities. We live in a seaport city (pop 18K) now in New England where the homes are very close together and we can walk to everything. We love that. So much of what we have looked at elsewhere was spread out sprawl that involved driving everywhere. Not for us.

So.... a few questions....

Unfortunately, the Tradition website leaves a lot to be desired. No photos of the community, no tab of Resale Homes available, no explanation of the different neighborhoods and prices within each. No mention of how far to the ocean.

It is 20 minutes from the ocean

So can anyone tell us:

Just how BIG is this place - it appears enormous.

It is a pretty big delevopment. Alot of room for expansion. The real estate downfall has slowed it's growth ALOT, but it will continue to grow. Right now there are only 2 sections being built in.

What are the amenities - tennis, pools, etc - I don't understand why this information is not on the website, unless I am looking at the wrong website.

Each subdivision has it's own amenities. I believe they each have at least a pool.

Pricing - what does a simple one story 3 BR/2BA, 1,800 sq ft home go for?

Depends on which subdivision you buy in. Here is a realtor link so you can look at examples: Tradition, Port Saint Lucie Real Estate - Tradition Homes For Sale

Is there a (good) hospital nearby?

There is an ER just north of Tradition, and Tradition is also getting a hospital built as we speak. It is operated by Martin Health System and will be their flagship hospital:
Home - Tradition Medical Center - Martin Health System It will be operational this December

Is there a vet and a 24 hr animal hospital nearby?

There is a vet not more than 1 mile from Tradition on Gatlin Blvd

Is it in a flood zone?

I don't believe so

Also on the list was Heritage Isle, Melbourne, and Woodfield of Vero Beach. Could we see these on the same trip to see Tradition? Where would we fly into?

Just about a 20-25 minute drive south from Melbourne is Vero. Another 20 minutes south from Vero is Tradition.

Can anyone shed light on how Melbourne, Vero Beach and Port St. Lucie differ as far as safety and ambience and services, as well as distance to the ocean? We don't want ocean view, we don't have that now, but we are close - a block from the river that leads to the ocean, and less than a mile from the open ocean.

Lots of events, a safe community - that's what we are looking for elsewhere.

Any info anyone can provide would be appreciated.
Hope this helps. I'm sure you will get more advice, but there is my take on it. In 2 weeks Tradition will have their Italian Fest...a perfect time to come down and check it out!! Good luck!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,009,330 times
Wow - thank you so much!

Do you live there? If so do you like it? What don't you like?

One thing I did not ask, that is very important to us, is do they allow a fenced yard with a privacy fence? We have a coonhound we just adopted, and she needs to be in a fenced area. I see there is a dog park somewhere in the community, but we just want to be able sometimes to go out and play with her or let her out to pee in our back yard without fear of her getting out.

Where would be the next biggest/best hospital for serious condition? I like that there is a hospital in the community. What about a vet/24 hr vet?

What are the downsides to the area?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
The areas you mentioned are not far apart. There are endless possibilities, many of which I'm still discovering after having researched the area for a year, and being a resident for almost 2. It also depends on what your conceptions of a planned community, a good hospital, and walkable distances are. Florida is Florida and NE is NE. There is definitely a community that will fit your expectations, but take your time finding it. There are so many distinct communities and lifestyles down here that it becomes almost intimidating when you have to choose. If you're able, try and spend a little time in each location that seems interesting. As I said before, I spent a year looking around, having the advantage of being retired. I lived on a waterfront property at the Jersey shore previously, and after covering all of Florida other than the panhandle, I finally focused on the area between Melbourne and Jupiter. I found the area to be the best fit for my considerations. As for walkability, don't expect much. Other than a few neighborhoods in Miami, it's pretty absent in Florida. On a side note, the best planned community I've seen is Harmony. Unfortunately it's pretty far from the ocean and has no retail nearby.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,199,806 times
I lived there for 5 years - anything you want to know just ask.. you can also message me by clicking on my name .... I can also send you information on any home for sale or for rent in Tradition or any other area.

There are 8 communities in Tradition - around 2000 homes. There are plans to go further - the land is owned and already divided but the economy puts a hold on much new construction although there is some.

Shopping is right here. The hospital is under construction now, and the emergency room is a mile away

YES. you can fence in your yard -- the fencing will have to be the same kind that is approved for the community.

You can also WALK in Tradition to most anything

Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 AM

56 posts, read 121,792 times
We live in PGA Verano which is a community very close to Tradition and we go to Tradition all the time, we shop there we go out to eat there, we ride our bikes from our community to Tradition.

I can not speak about the houses and what its like to live there but it is a great community for shopping, resturants, walking around.

They have lots of events that we go over and participate it..as mentioned they are building the hospital which will be very nice to have close by.

The beach as mentioned is an easy drive, we go a few times a week to Jensen Beach...and just love it,

We have been there for since May and just love it

Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 PM

16 posts, read 27,988 times
Can anyone expand on the types of residents in the Tradition neighborhoods....meaning are they mostly seniors, families, in-betweens, etc? Are the homes well kept (for the most part)?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,199,806 times
After living in Tradition myself for 5 years ... and being a Realtor so I see a lot...

the only communities that are for seniors only is Vitalia (used to be Seasons) which is the only 55+ community in all of Tradition, at the moment. There is also an assisted living community.

BUT.... being over 55 doesn't make any one community any less desirable or more desirable - it all depends on you. Where do you WANT to be? ALL the communities in Tradition are open to any age without restriction and all of the communities (with the exception of Vitalia) has lots of families.

There are also plenty of single adults (me included) that enjoy living in Tradition. It has everything you might want at your fingertips, everything is well taken care of all over, sidewalks, streetlights, events going on, all kinds of shopping and restaurants, and it's right off I95.

Is that enough?

The only difference in communities is basically the price and floor plans.

There is new construction going on as well. In Town Park, in Bedford Park, in Victoria Parc....and believe it or not, there will be new construction in The Estates soon too.

AND....drum roll please..... Tradition has just been approved for building the huge parcel west of Becker Rd....let the infrastructure begin!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:15 PM

16 posts, read 27,988 times
Thank you so much for the info... Is there an email I can contact you for viewing properties and for other questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach