Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:11 PM

4 posts, read 5,796 times

Advertisements

I moved here 2 years ago and like to grow a few vegetables. I do well with peppers, lettuce, and broccoli.

I want to do tomoatoes, and keep trying. They grow, but leaves turn yellow and die. Eaten by bugs or something in the ground.

I just tried planting marigolds around them and planted some new tomatoes. Has anyone been successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,005 times
Default Tomatoes

The soil here has a lot of nematoads and that will cause the veges to die. Google the subject and there are articles by the Florida Dept of Agriculture to help. You should look into container gardening or square foot gardening and guy varieties that are resistant to nematodes

Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
I've lived here almost a year now, and have had a few different varieties of tomato plants. I switch plants everytime I plant one just to see how they grow, and found that the hybrids are the way to go around here. As soon as my last one dies I am planning on making a raised garden.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:54 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Everything is in a pot with store bought potting soil. I like vigaro.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:02 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
I agree with all those above who recommend container gardening. It's the way to go here.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Everything is in a pot with store bought potting soil. I like vigaro.
Have you tried Jungle Growth? I've got a little test going with pineapples. Some in Miracle grow, some in Vigaro, and some in Jungle Growth. JG is winning by a noticeable margin.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
Where do you buy Jungle Growth? I'll have to try it. My tomato plant is a Bush Goliath and doing fairly well. It's not the strongest of plants but is producing great fruit!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
I think Jungle is at lowes or HD. I found the Vigaro at HD at dollars less than miracle grow. Tomatoes came out ok, I used a fish fertilizer this time instead of miracle grow for veggies. Not sure about that stuff. They were going great then as the tomatos began ripening the plants are yellowing and dying off. Though I have only grown in florida and for all I know this is the natural life cycle of a tomato plant? Anyone?

My peppers are doing pretty good, likewise did not product much abundance and I had read that could be an issue with the fish fertilizer, so maybe next season I'll go back to the miracle grow.

Husky cherry reds did well, still are. The plants that seemed to like the fish fertilizer were the flowers, my geraniums and percy the puny poinsettia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCyXyIa6UPs

The poinsettia was still in its store bought pot from last year, I barely remember to throw some water on it once in awhile and it was dry and rootbound and only had a few leaves left on it.

I finally stuck it in the ground in late November where a hibiscus didn't work out (still don't know why I can't grow a hibiscus in florida when everyone else can), and I started watering it and used the fish fertilizer in it, and lo and behold a christmas miracle happened and it started turning red and grown new leaves. Right now its in full holiday bloom still. Looks like I just planted it out of a this years christmas pot.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
Where do you buy Jungle Growth? I'll have to try it. My tomato plant is a Bush Goliath and doing fairly well. It's not the strongest of plants but is producing great fruit!
Lowes usually has it.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I think Jungle is at lowes or HD. I found the Vigaro at HD at dollars less than miracle grow. Tomatoes came out ok, I used a fish fertilizer this time instead of miracle grow for veggies. Not sure about that stuff. They were going great then as the tomatos began ripening the plants are yellowing and dying off. Though I have only grown in florida and for all I know this is the natural life cycle of a tomato plant? Anyone?

My peppers are doing pretty good, likewise did not product much abundance and I had read that could be an issue with the fish fertilizer, so maybe next season I'll go back to the miracle grow.

Husky cherry reds did well, still are. The plants that seemed to like the fish fertilizer were the flowers, my geraniums and percy the puny poinsettia.
Poinsettia Percy - YouTube

The poinsettia was still in its store bought pot from last year, I barely remember to throw some water on it once in awhile and it was dry and rootbound and only had a few leaves left on it.

I finally stuck it in the ground in late November where a hibiscus didn't work out (still don't know why I can't grow a hibiscus in florida when everyone else can), and I started watering it and used the fish fertilizer in it, and lo and behold a christmas miracle happened and it started turning red and grown new leaves. Right now its in full holiday bloom still. Looks like I just planted it out of a this years christmas pot.
What I've found so far is that a lot of the showier tropical bloomers are very picky about nutrients. Hibiscus is one of them. The all purpose fertilizer doesn't work well. They like some nitrogen, very little phosphorus, and a lot of potassium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach