Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:51 AM

32 posts, read 50,763 times

Advertisements

He everyone..
Indian river county looks like it may have some space and not be very crowded…
What is it like there? In Fellsmere ? From maps it looks very rural. Is it considered safe? We would like to have some land around our home and a barn or work shop .maybe some chickens...not get bugged by the town for not having my lawn mowed to regulation hight..be able to park our car anyplace on the property..hang our laundry, paint what ever color we choose..(nice color but our choice not the towns' ) have a 4 wheeler..you know live?
I didn't think from the maps, that there were not many shops, stores for groceries etc..
Safty?
We do not have children so the school district is not an issue.
Are there any older homes there with character?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 06:41 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Sebastian and Fellsmere are safe. Just about all of IRC is. Sebastian is a city. The lots average 1/4 to 1/2 acre. Not rural. Fellsmere is quite rural with a small town center and any size plot of land you could want. From the description of your needs, Fellsmere would be the ticket. There's plenty of shopping within a 15 mile radius and the ocean is only 10 miles away.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:15 PM

43 posts, read 71,752 times
Fellsmere no longer offers much diversity. It is now over 80% Hispanic. It is a farming community but most of that community is now foreign born low waged residents, many who are here because they violated our immigration laws. The average family earns less than $30,000 a year, and that includes the few rich farmers who slant the figure higher.

Stick to Sebastian. It is still all American, meaning all races, ethnicites, religions, cultures, are represented in varying degrees depending on what neighborhood you choose to live in. However, housing and land will cost much more on that side of I-95. Brevard County allows one chicken per residence. In the un-incorporated areas you have have many more if you have several acres(I forget the specific regulation).

Old 01-15-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12349876 View Post
Fellsmere no longer offers much diversity. It is now over 80% Hispanic. It is a farming community but most of that community is now foreign born low waged residents, many who are here because they violated our immigration laws. The average family earns less than $30,000 a year, and that includes the few rich farmers who slant the figure higher.

Stick to Sebastian. It is still all American, meaning all races, ethnicites, religions, cultures, are represented in varying degrees depending on what neighborhood you choose to live in. However, housing and land will cost much more on that side of I-95. Brevard County allows one chicken per residence. In the un-incorporated areas you have have many more if you have several acres(I forget the specific regulation).
Do you live in the area or do you just look up stastics and imagine things? The "hispanics" you speak of have been in Fellsmere for quite some time. They were mostly Mexican which is unusual for Florida. They came to work the Sugar fields which are gone, and Citrus orchards which are now much smaller.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:47 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,220 times
Sounds like Fellsmere will fit the bill, check out Realtor.com to see if there's something within your budget; prices

are heading North out that way. Try and get in before the proposed development of The Villages of Fellsmere kicks in.

I relocated from Sebastian to Fellsmere over a year ago, and think I died and went to Heaven. We stumbled on a

ten year old house on five acres with a pond and pool and lovin' it.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,672 times
Default Just curious about moving from Sebastian

@bgrasser Was there something about Sebastian you didn't like? What do you love about Fellsmere? Thanks!

Old 01-21-2015, 07:38 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,220 times
Sebastian was a fine place to live; we were Snowbirding for five of the last six years,
and owned a condo up north and one in Sebastian. My wife and I decided to settle full time in Indian River County, we were looking for a late model house with a pool on a good sized lot, she has a friend that lives in Fellsmere on ten acres for the last ten years, and suggested we take a look at the area. We both love the rural country feel, along with the peace and quiet; but close enough to Vero Beach and Sebastian for essentials.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Sebastian was a fine place to live; we were Snowbirding for five of the last six years,
and owned a condo up north and one in Sebastian. My wife and I decided to settle full time in Indian River County, we were looking for a late model house with a pool on a good sized lot, she has a friend that lives in Fellsmere on ten acres for the last ten years, and suggested we take a look at the area. We both love the rural country feel, along with the peace and quiet; but close enough to Vero Beach and Sebastian for essentials.
Shhhhhh!! Keep it quiet. I haven't found my perfect lot yet...

Old 01-21-2015, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 5,672 times
Thank you. I feel better. Just bought in Sebastian. Also will be snowbirds from VT where the nights are dark and quiet, the landscape mountainous and full of trees and brooks. Just a little anxious about suburbia. The winter weather though is wearing.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:06 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravos04 View Post
Thank you. I feel better. Just bought in Sebastian. Also will be snowbirds from VT where the nights are dark and quiet, the landscape mountainous and full of trees and brooks. Just a little anxious about suburbia. The winter weather though is wearing.
Don't worry so much. You will love the sky here at night-well maybe I mean 24/7. The blue clear skies in Florida are amazing and the storm clouds keep it interesting. Last night watching the rocket launch, there seemed to be a million stars in the sky and it was just beautiful. It never gets old.

I am not sure I would think moving to Sebastian is moving to suburbia. Basically you are moving to a pretty cool small town with mostly friendly people.

There are lots of trees, ponds, lakes rivers and streams surrounding the area and the animals and scenery are just as beautiful-just different .

And of course you won't be shoveling snow or cleaning the ice off your car windows here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach