U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM

89 posts, read 172,520 times

Advertisements

Over the past several months I have had problems with my irrigation system here at Heritage Oaks. When The HOA sent over the maintenance guy to check it out and before he got to work he said the line was probably clogged by a small clam in the piping. It immediately brought back some thoughts of my prior life before retirement. It turned out to be what he said but although he called it a clam in the piping system,
it really is not a true clam in words but in the bi-valve shellfish family.
What is happening here, as well as most other USA inland waterways in which water is taken for irrigation and fire sprinkler systems, is referred to as Zebra Mussels.
I am familiar with this problem that started in the mid 80's. This bi-valve shell fish started to cause costly
problem in the USA when a foreign ship docked in the Great Lakes and decided to purge its bilge of the contents.
It expelled the bi-valve in the Lakes and the rest is history. They are fast multipliers and feed off algae in
the water. (non potable, non chlorinated water)
They were first known to clog the cooling water intake pipes of operating Power Plants around the Great Lakes and have since migrated to almost everywhere in the USA entering lawn and fire sprinkler systems as well.

When I worked for Tyco Fire & Security I traveled to many places to see the impact on our fire protection
sprinkler systems so I could educate our customers. Our main code writing organization, referred to as
The NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) of which I was a long time member, put out a white paper on this ever growing problem about ten years ago to bring to light the impact on Fire Sprinkler Systems.

When our guy removed it from the piping here I recognized it right away. I cannot say with any certainty how the entire piping system in our community has been compromised but if it is here at Heritage Oaks it will eventually show up throughout Tradition irrigation systems.
It would all start upstream where the water initiates from. Some non chemical control has been used with
some success. Our lakes in Tradition could in all possibility already be infested with these tiny shell fish creatures.

I am afraid we are looking uphill at this potential problem and, although not widespread, it will be a maintenance cost down the road in your irrigation systems. I had two rota heads totally clogged.

For Additional Information Click Here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...40AEj8vgiFpD3g

Zebra mussel madness in Alexandria area | Zebra Mussels
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 03:09 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,219,748 times
I am from Louisiana and we eat shellfish, are they good to eat? maybe this is an opportunity to turn lemons into lemonade.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:03 PM

89 posts, read 172,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
I am from Louisiana and we eat shellfish, are they good to eat? maybe this is an opportunity to turn lemons into lemonade.
No idea but judging by the waters they keep, I'll pass. Besides you would have to eat a good 500 to fill you up! lol! When we broke the one up that came out of the system it was all gooey! yuk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach