Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 11:35 AM

635 posts, read 1,657,467 times

Advertisements

I am on a fact/opinion finding mission of the Port St Lucie area. It ranked #2 for best places to live for single moms...so of course it got my attention. I am 42 and my son is 17. I currently work in a hospital psychiatric unit. Have a BS in Psychology. So far working with the elderly, mentally ill & substance abuse have been my main area of experience.

Is it a good fit? Is it as affordable as I hear? I am very laid back, great sense of humor. Love the beach, helping others, and I sell Avon on the side. My son is finishing his education online so school districts are not an issue. We want a new (warm) experience. I was in the Joplin, MO EF 5 tornado, so Hurricanes don't scare me as they would have previously.

We did discover that life is short and opportunities may be few. We are ready for a change and love the aesthetics of Florida. We are lawabiding, trustworthy, and community oriented people. Any input is appreciated. I realize some may not be positive but I need to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 04:25 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,309,722 times
Molly , what factors are used to rank cities for best places to live for single Moms ?

Old 03-23-2013, 07:56 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,801,250 times
We love it here, but I really don't know what being a single Mother has to do with anything. It's a great place to live, and pretty affordable. Crime is low, and there are a ton of things to do. I think you should come for a week and check things out and see if it's a good fit. Definitely have work lined up before you decide though. That is a tough line of work, but very good if you have a position somewhere!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
Molly , what factors are used to rank cities for best places to live for single Moms ?

Safety, affordibility, schools etc. It was a study off Willow.com. Some united realtors website. I know things like that are subjective but it did get my attention....so far I'm impressed.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
We love it here, but I really don't know what being a single Mother has to do with anything. It's a great place to live, and pretty affordable. Crime is low, and there are a ton of things to do. I think you should come for a week and check things out and see if it's a good fit. Definitely have work lined up before you decide though. That is a tough line of work, but very good if you have a position somewhere!

As a single mom, I don't have that partner for support emotionally or financially. Those are very real concerns of mine while making a big move decision. But you are right...a good place to live is a good place to live regardless. Thanks for your input! I actually was looking at airfare for a visit. Yes...it is a tough line of work

Old 03-24-2013, 08:38 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,215,870 times
Since Florida in general has a lot of retired people there are also a lot of retirement homes or assisted living communities that you might want to check in to their main holding companies for work.

Port St Lucie is a pretty quiet place to live and, as was said, a low crime area and family oriented. Should be easy to live in for anyone from out of the area.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Since Florida in general has a lot of retired people there are also a lot of retirement homes or assisted living communities that you might want to check in to their main holding companies for work.

Port St Lucie is a pretty quiet place to live and, as was said, a low crime area and family oriented. Should be easy to live in for anyone from out of the area.
Thank You! I was actually thinking about that too. It is nice to have supportive comments from those that are experts in the area. I will admit I have been exploring a big move for a few years now, especially since our tornado. But there is something about the psl area that stands out to be very complimentary to my needs and personality. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2013, 04:19 AM

12 posts, read 34,479 times
Well it's nicer than Joplin, Missouri.. You can be sure of that......

and very people friendly town.. nice side walks to walk and bike on, very clean... Hutchinson Island is only minutes drive away...
http://www.floridashutchinsonisland....acilities.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNlkWEiE7FI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0d-baWGG0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjx8HQzpR8g

Last edited by JSR56; 04-02-2013 at 04:45 AM..

Old 04-05-2013, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,775 times
Yes, PSL is the most affordable area on the east coast of Florida. It is a very quite, laidback community but has a lot of things to do and is close to beach.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:02 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,007,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilky1 View Post
Yes, PSL is the most affordable area on the east coast of Florida. It is a very quite, laidback community but has a lot of things to do and is close to beach.
No offense but, PSL is not the most affordable area on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach