U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,264,695 times

Advertisements

Suggestions please. There are so many out there it is confusing which ones are best. I bought a used Snapper and do not like it. Hate to make a second mistake. Need a rider- bad knees, like doing the lawn and do not trust most services.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 PM

360 posts, read 648,478 times
I just bought a Craftsman from Sears. The model I got [YT4000] is made by Husqvarna with a Craftsman label. I like it a lot so far. It has a hydrostatic transmission so there is no gear shifting at all. It literally drives like a car. You press the gas to go faster or release the gas pedal to stop. It has an "easy oil change" tube on the side of the engine that you just pop it off to drain the oil...don't have to get underneath it or anything. I also did their 18 month no interest financing so that helps quite a bit.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:25 AM

2,091 posts, read 6,787,075 times
No opinions on riders sorry. Bad knees suck. But for the sake of lawnmower discussion we just bought the new self propelled Honda at Lowes. The $500 one. A little longer then our old troy bolt so its more awkward for maneuvering under bushes etc but boy is that thing fast! Its got four wheel drive. Cut our mowing time of 1.25 acres down by at least a third.

We used to have a Murray rider but the engine froze. There's always more Honda's troy bolts. Deeres etc. Guess it depends on what you're mowing and how much you want to spend.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:26 AM

910 posts, read 1,922,312 times
We are currently using a John Deere, which despite it being a "big name" in the tractor world, has been a lot of trouble. The front wheels go flat a LOT (mind you, we live in the country, so it may encounter rougher terrain than a suburban lawn). We will have a lawn service in Florida. Have you checked into the cost of that in your area? Unless you have a big lawn, it should cost under $100 a month.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,940,833 times
Sid before I moved to Florida I bought a Cub Cadet Model # LTX1040 currently 1399.99 at HDepot .. I had it a few years before I moved and liked it very much, easy change oil , had a removable oil filter( longer engine life) , cleanuoy port that you hook a hose to to clean under deck and it has a Kohler engine not Briggs and Stratton ... And it cut nice as well ...
If I were to need a rider , I would by one again ....
Get your screens installed yet ??

Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,577,632 times
Yeah the one from Sears is a great deal. They go on sale at Christmas time so you can save about $200 if you can wait. I have had mine for almost 4 years and it works great. I have the YT4000 as well

Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 PM

1,687 posts, read 2,383,465 times
I just gotta say, I think it's hilariously stupid to buy a lawn tractor for the 1/4 acre lawns in FL. Nobody needs one for that small of a yard. I just laugh watching these people pay over $1k to drive 10ft, reverse, go 10ft, etc. Either buy a self propelled or have it mowed for you.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 PM

2,091 posts, read 6,787,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
I just gotta say, I think it's hilariously stupid to buy a lawn tractor for the 1/4 acre lawns in FL. Nobody needs one for that small of a yard. I just laugh watching these people pay over $1k to drive 10ft, reverse, go 10ft, etc. Either buy a self propelled or have it mowed for you.
We have 1.25 acres.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:52 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,264,695 times
In defense my front yard is 125 feet long and 50 feet wide and has a steep incline and a swale at the bottom with more grass between the swale and the street. I live on the corner and the side yard outside my fence is 125 feet long and 25 feet wide. I agree. If I were healthier and had good knees and did not have St. Augustine grass that is cut long- at the highest setting of my Snapper mower then maybe a walk behind would work. I am not lazy, but 69 years young. I have a 28 inch Snapper rider that is very tippy when cutting the swale and it takes me 1 1/2 hours to cut my small lawn, hills and palm trees slow me down. If I had a flat lawn like the Sandpiper area for instance then maybe but my lot is raised.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM

1,687 posts, read 2,383,465 times
Not finger pointing- just stating what I see in my area. Please don't take offense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach