Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:40 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,996 times

Advertisements

Our house in Vero Beach has the standard hurricane panels that you have to attach to the house before a hurricane. It doesn't look like an easy job, especially for my 66 year old husband who doesn't have the stamina he used to have since his stroke a couple years ago. Plus, the bolts along the windows are flush with the wall, for some reason, which I assume means we would have extra work in unscrewing each one. So, we are considering installing the accordion hurricane shutters that you simply pull into place when needed. Are these incredibly expensive ? I only saw one house on our street that has them, which makes me wonder about the cost. One ad I saw had a price of $14 a square foot (installed) for Miami-Dade approved aluminum accordion shutters. Is it worth it, for the convenience ? Anyone have these, and are they indeed easy to put into place before a hurricane?
Thanks for any input !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 11:50 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,951 times
They are one of the more expensive options. If you are unable to put up the corrugated metal ones, then I would pay to have them installed. It may drop your insurance just a bit as well...

Old 07-13-2013, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the input. We probably need to do a practice run on a window to see how difficult it is with the bolt-on shutters (fortunately, there are several "how-to" videos on YouTube). Our Realtor suggested that you can usually pay somebody to put them up if a hurricane threatens, but I wonder how easy it would be to find someone available to do that, with a storm approaching. I think we will at least get an estimate on the accordion shutters. It probably also adds to the value of your house, though the last thing on our mind now is selling our new home ! I will have to ask our insurance agent if the accordion style drops our rate.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:36 PM

Another newbie question about hurricanes: If you do have to put the shutters up, but do not have to evacuate, do you stay in a house as dark as a cave, with battery-powered lanterns and flashlights (assuming the electricity goes out during the hurricane) until the storm is over ? Or do most people evacuate inland after putting up the shutters, even though it isn't mandatory in your area ?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:45 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,769 times
When I moved here from NY. I also had the same concerns . talked to a few neighbors and they suggested the accordion shutters . They said they did a trial run trying to put the metal ones up and it was tough to do during the wind . My neighbor said taking panels up and down on a ladder in the wind was very difficult . We got a few estimates and has the accordion shutters installed. It's super easy to close them .... I would highly recommend them.
Getting someone to put the metal ones up would be way less expensive. Finding someone reliable to actually show up might prove difficult. We did check into that and did find a guy that did that the first year. We got on his list of people to put up shutters , he told me , his house first and then on down the line as people requested his service. Soif you were at the bottom of that list you might not get them up in time .
Get some estimates and see ...

Old 07-13-2013, 12:46 PM

Never been in a hurricane but depending on the CAT of the storm YES I would put up or close the shutters and wait inside .
Also you can get some accordion shutters that are clear or have part that are clear

Old 07-13-2013, 12:48 PM

As for insurance rates , yes I get a discount , not sure what the amount is

Old 07-13-2013, 01:03 PM

53 posts, read 122,297 times
When I first got here I had a mess of shutters in the garage that didn't fit anything. I cut, modified, and pre-hung each and every one then said "hell with this". There are more important things I could be doing to prepare. I gave all those shutters to a neighbor and had accordions installed. The price was great and so was the service. I will message you with my recommendation.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:26 PM

193 posts, read 405,243 times
When I moved into my house in SE PSL last year, I determined that the windows were not in very good condition. Although all the aluminum slats were numbered and there, there were no screws to be found. I bought new screws and put most of them into the holes beside the windows. Most of the holes were filled with dirt. I never finished putting them all in. I had new double paned, argon gas filled, Miami - Dade approved, Hi impact windows and sliding glass door installed. Problem solved.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:25 PM

37 posts, read 79,993 times
Definitely get the accordion shutters. It's a breeze shutting them and opening them again with the threat of a possible hurricane. The regular aluminum ones were more labor intensive than we needed or wanted to deal with. Also the hurricane shutters reduces your insurance rate and it's an attractive extra when and/or if you decide to sell your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach