Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 08:21 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,104 times

Advertisements

Ahh mine did and I new it by looking ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G711 View Post
Your Realtor should have pointed that out to you that there were only single pane windows. They dropped the ball!!
I question realtors all the time about their non stop rosy outlook about housing, but I wouldn't fault them for myself or someone buying a home with single pane windows. This should be noticed by the buyer or if the buyer does not know these type of things, along with age of appliances, roof, and all other conditions of a home they should definately have a home inspection done by a licensed home inspector and they should be there for the inspector to explain how to operate the systems in the house.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:57 AM

910 posts, read 2,219,282 times
We were still in Ohio when our house was inspected (our Realtor attended in our stead). Fortunately the house was new enough (built in 2005) that the inspection did not turn up any problems. I do wish, however, that the previous owner had taken the time to write down some basic info about things such as how to turn on the lights in the pool, how to operate the automatic awning, etc. We wound up having to contact her through our agent once we moved in. We are still discovering which light switches turn on what, such as a switch in the garage that turns on the light in the attic. Just a simple sticker with the word "attic light" on the switch would have been a big help ! I tried to leave plenty of instructions for the new owners of our Ohio house.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:52 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
RE: electric bill ,2500 sf under air, AC on 24/7 day time set at 74 , Highest bill so far about 165.00. I have a hydroponic garden and a good size pool.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:13 PM

You are getting a good deal ! We just got our new bill. We have 2450 under air, AC is on 24/7 set at 78, we have a 14' x 26' pool, and our bill was $282. Are you with FPL ? Hard to believe there could be THAT much difference in our bills !

Old 08-22-2013, 04:47 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
You are getting a good deal ! We just got our new bill. We have 2450 under air, AC is on 24/7 set at 78, we have a 14' x 26' pool, and our bill was $282. Are you with FPL ? Hard to believe there could be THAT much difference in our bills !
Have you checked for any cool air escape paths under doors that lead to the outside? Any small opening that is not weather sealed can really burn some kilo watts. We are leasing a 1460 sq foot house with no pool and the thermostat set to about 76° now and the FPL bill is running about $80 a month.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:07 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
I could not believe that my house only has single pane windows in it. It was built in 2006. I am shocked that you can even buy such crappy, worthless windows. Whoever built this home should be ashamed of themselves for installing such cheap products.
single pane windows are normal .... You won't get anything else unless it's paid for as an upgrade.

Hurricane glass is nice but it can also be costly.

Double paned glass is what you are used to up North because of the winters.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G711 View Post
Your Realtor should have pointed that out to you that there were only single pane windows. They dropped the ball!!
no they didnt. Single pane glass is the norm for Florida.

Almost evey house you go in has single pane glass unless it was asked for and paid as an upgrade when the house was built or the owner opted to do it himself later.

An inspector would not even say anything unless you HAD a different kind of glass --

Old 08-23-2013, 11:11 AM

We also have single pane glass. Thanks, Barbara, for the info that most Florida houses do have single pane. LingLing and Nomadicus, do you have double pane glass ? That could explain the cheaper (MUCH cheaper) electric bills. Our house seems pretty air-tight, and I have talked with other friends with similar-sized houses who have bills in the same range as ours. I could understand the bill being cheaper if you kept your thermostat *higher* than ours, but lower temperature settings and bills that are over $100 cheaper a month ? Doesn't make sense, unless you have some sort of other energy-saving factor such as double pane glass.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:36 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
I'm not sure what the glass is in the house but single is most likely. We are leasing this house for a year while we plan. Our desire is to build in the Sebastian area near the boat ramps and seafood restaurants. Then we will have the extra strong UV double pain glass like we have in the house we own over in the center of the state. Single pane glass has been the norm in FL as long as I can remember and that goes back many decades. When we lived in MI we had double pain because of the cold winters. Same in MO. Double pane is not something that is a lot of good if a storm hits close by. That is what shutters are for. I think the best solution for changing over to double pane windows is to do the ones not shaded first. All don't have to be done at once breaking a budget. UV rated glass is a definite must for me. Newer style window frames also are better insulated between the jambs and the frame itself if installed right. Every little crack that air can get out especially at floor level should be filled. Check under kitchen and bath cabinets for leaks around piping. Seal the cool in and the bugs out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach