Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 AM

16 posts, read 37,868 times

Advertisements

My husband, myself, and our 2 year old just moved to Vero this week and are staying at my inlaws in Sebastian till we find a home. We've been looking for houses all week, and have still not found anything that suits our needs. 3-4 bedrooms, 1800-2600 sq ft, up to $300,000 and either zoned for beachland elementary or treasure coast elementary. It seems like the neighborhoods we thought we would like have hardly any other kids in them. Where are the kids??? We are looking at a houses today in Country Club Pointe (beachland elem) and Tropical Isle (treasure coast elem). Does anyone know anything about either of these neighborhoods...regarding kid population, crime/safety, etc. Also, Country Club Pointe is on septic...are the sewer lines coming to that neighborhood??? Just unfamiliar with septic, and it scares me a little. Any other family friendly neighborhoods that y'all can recommend which matches our criteria are most welcomed :-) thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 09:15 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,594 times
That's a tough one. I can't think of any neighborhood that are predominately young families. They're pretty well dispearsed throughout.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:06 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
I was just over there this morning, around the country club ...it's nice. Convenient, too. If you go a few streets over it can get a little sketchy looking but I guess it depends on the streets specifically. (I'm a dog walker so I'm all over the place). Make sure the agent is showing you ALL the listings not just their own!

example: 3015 Calcutta Drive - Northen Exposure Photography

Tropical Isle is a good location and more "rural" if you can call it that - as far as I could see it hasn't been build up long enough to get the same density and pockets of "bad" places that other older neighborhoods have (like a couple blocks of trailors/mobile homes) contiguous to your house...(I haven't been inside that development though). Vero Lago, Waterway etc. That whole area is nice and still building. It's also closer to your family and less congested.

Now I'm just saying this from driving through not by living there

I rented when I came here to get my bearings first. I bought a new construction house when my kid was 7 and was SO DISAPPOINTED there were NO KIDS!! What a mess. Always having to import them or have him play elsewhere. So I'm feeling ya on that. You can usually judge an area here by the PUBLIX! LOL not kidding.

There's a ton of kids in the diagonal opposite place of where you're looking for example, up by 58th and Oslo in MANY MANY really nice developments but the schools aren't the same grade from what I can see, but I don't know anything about that, really.

Kids don't play outside alot in Florida like up North. And of course there's a different life style, the pools in the yards, boating and beach. I've noticed this from Jax to Ft Lauderdale. Of course that might be all over now since they're a bunch of couch potatoes on electronics 24/7.

Have fun house hunting. You should join a play group or meet up group or something with the baby or something to meet other young moms and get the 411!

I just googled it and found this group right near the Country Club and got reminded that over on the point there's this splash thing that had a ton of kids when I first moved here and checked that out! This is a new group looking for other parents to grow! Perfect!

http://www.meetup.com/Vero-Beach-Mom...nts/126651992/

http://www.meetup.com/Vero-Beach-Mom...-and-Me-Group/

Also maybe join groups like swim lessons for the baby, I took mine to "mommy/daddy and me" up North and there were a TON of people there to get to know.

http://www.christisfamilyfitness.com...s-Programs.pdf

http://www.covb.org/vertical/sites/%...650B2AD%7D.PDF

Also Children's Riverside Theater to get to know parents http://www.riversidetheatre.com/rive...ns_theatre.php,

ETA here's some sun protection clothing for the baby, my dermatologist told me it's much better than all that sunscreen and cheaper! She even wears it snorkling on vacation etc. http://www.uvskinz.com/SearchResults...FSho7AodGkkA1A

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-21-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 12:35 PM

16 posts, read 37,868 times
Thanks for the suggestions. It is tough, but I guess you are right about kids not playing outside during the summer - just too HOT! We are actually trying to view that house on Calcutta today, as well as the tropical isles, and one in Collier Creek in Sebastisn. We've only been here 6 days, so once we get our feet planted a bit firmer on the ground I will totally join a group. Any elementary school suggestions??? Beachland vs treasure coast??? I've only heard not so hot things about Dogertown. Is that true? Thx.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglady28 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. It is tough, but I guess you are right about kids not playing outside during the summer - just too HOT! We are actually trying to view that house on Calcutta today, as well as the tropical isles, and one in Collier Creek in Sebastisn. We've only been here 6 days, so once we get our feet planted a bit firmer on the ground I will totally join a group. Any elementary school suggestions??? Beachland vs treasure coast??? I've only heard not so hot things about Dogertown. Is that true? Thx.
Yeah, Vero and the surrounding township is very spread out so it's tricky, but having your number one criteria be schools keeps it simple.

This is all I know about schools here. This and the great schools site.

School Grades

http://www.indianriverschools.org/Si...tleIPartA.aspx

Vero Beach Schools - Vero Beach Florida School Ratings - Public and Private

I noticed on Zillow you can search by schools, if it's accurate. I don't think it's completely accurate because they have Treasure Coast as a grade of 5 but it's an A on the county's list.

Vero Beach's Best Schools: Ratings, Reviews, and Grades - Zillow School Information

BTW you may not want to be on the barrier island but you are right around the entry level price for a single over there. I actually worked in one that just sold in your price range. But you'd have to factor in insurance, shutters etc. And they are a little older and smaller, too.

Trulia shows you the comps with actual selling prices not just asking - scroll down to view comps on each page :

http://www.trulia.com/homes/Florida/...-32963#photo-1

http://www.trulia.com/property/10888...32963#photo-14

http://www.trulia.com/property/31172...-32963#photo-1

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-21-2013 at 01:57 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 01:41 PM

910 posts, read 2,217,460 times
Regarding having a septic tank, don't be too concerned about that. We had one for ten years in Ohio and it really isn't that much different than a city sewer system. We never had any trouble with ours. I don't know if they are any different in Florida, but they aren't a "negative" in Ohio.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:55 PM

OK I work at the end of Indian River Blvd at 53rd every day so I drove home past Tropical Isle at 65th. It's adorable. But I vote no. It's a HIKE!

Here's why. You are 5 miles from the mall and shopping, and it's a straight run down 58th so YAY.

If you "run to the store" you have to go to 53rd and Rt 1 from what I know the new Publix, Walgreen or CVS. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO UP THERE for a family with an active 2 year old soon to be living for friends etc. Close to family in Sebastian is great, though. I'd check out the schools and visit them before buying. Walmart in Sebastian is a good 12 miles from there so you're in the middle sorta. But Sebastian definitely has a calmer vibe (as if Vero isn't laid back lol). I will say I notice alot more traffic in Vero in the past four years. It is getting annoying and it's still SUMMER!

But when you have a kid having alot of friends to pick from is better than a limited amount IME.

Your decision is critical. Do you want your kid going to school with a bunch of other presumably "laid back" kids from Sebastian (or whatever - I'm just making up a hypothetical) or do you want to do Beechland with kids from the island and part of the city down Indian River Blvd? It appears Beechland has been A forever but Treasure Coast may be "new"?? Reporting and going from a C to an A since 2007. You may like the vibe of Treasure Coast if it's more like Sebastian compared to Vero in other words. I'd want to visit the schools with it IN SESSION before buying.

That particular development is a bit of a concern because it's only a handful of houses. If you don't love your neighbors, oh well, you're stuck. But I did see a bunch of jungle gyms around there, and signs of kids. It's really cute tho, the pastel houses and open lots.

Some people LOVE the rural feel and all that open space and quiet developments. They don't care if they're close to stuff and don't really ever even want to do much like go to the beach, or whatever. They may be happy with driving up to Sebastian for the fishing or whatever they offer. It does look newer and that's a plus compared to Royal Palm Point area.

I TOTALLY vote for Royal Palm/Country Club area. I go through there every day and on my way up I turned off onto Calcutta. That's a nice area. Charm, character not cookie cutter, mature trees etc. Now, I admit that particular house has a couple concerns - the canal which is cute but water is always a "problem" and the trees - might cost you a bit for the yard - and the age of the house. That being said it's a perfect location for you, IMO. And you have a better shot at friends close by IMO.

It's still a little less than 5 miles from the mall but BONUS it's only a couple blocks from Miracle Mile shopping at 21st. You could walk if you had to. The Fresh Market is there. And a bunch of other retail. There even used to be a children's book store I think right there.

You're SUPER close to the beach and only across the street from the Royal Palm Pointe Park and could walk him there every day (almost LOL) . Royal Palm Pointe Park

The barrier island offers ALOT for families and are you the type to go drive all the way out 10 miles just to the bridge from 65th? Or cross the street 1 mile? It's really a dream lifestyle to go over the the beach and any of the parks for kids, walk down the little boardwalk, stop for ice cream, breakfast or whatever, play Frisbee on the beach, all pretty much for FREE every night of your life if you want before bedtime and BONUS they'll get sleepy FAST. !
http://www.covb.org/vertical/Sites/%...3FBF9FF%7D.JPG
http://www.verobeachmuseum.org/?meth...ams_summercamp

http://www.covb.org/index.asp?Type=B...09AD58C6455%7D
It's a matter of personal preference in the end whatever vibe resonates with you but as a mom, lemme say your entire life is in the car from now till college hahaha. Have fun!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-21-2013 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,166,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
Regarding having a septic tank, don't be too concerned about that. We had one for ten years in Ohio and it really isn't that much different than a city sewer system. We never had any trouble with ours. I don't know if they are any different in Florida, but they aren't a "negative" in Ohio.
I would love to have city sewer again instead of a septic. Avoid if at all possible.
1. You cannot use bleach.
2. You have to have them pumped on a regular basis. They say every 3-5 years for a family of 4. Large houses with larger families and lots of visitors who stay at your house maube more often.
3. Sometimes in the way of having a pool because of the drain field.
4. Have to watch out when planting trees because if roots go to the drainfield it can cost thousands to replace or fix. Big trees on empty lot invading ours now so 5000 is best quote so far.
5. When you get big rains like in tropical storms they can fill and it takes time to get system back to normal working order because ground is saturated or even flooded over the drain field.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 AM

910 posts, read 2,217,460 times
You make some good points. We didn't have to have ours pumped that often as it was just the two of us living there. We had ten acres of land, so plenty of room for the septic field, with no trees nearby. We never had a problem with torrential rain (the most we ever had in one storm was 5 inches), but obviously that would be more of an issue in Florida.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:08 PM

Hey OP I was thinking of you seeing lots of kids this week LOL.

Some moms with stroller aged babies in the Troy Moody park on my way out of Royal Palm near that house by the country club.

http://www.covb.org/vertical/Sites/%...3FBF9FF%7D.JPG

And the shopping center on 58th Publix, Target AND Miracle Mile shopping center were mobbed with little kids. IT's back to school shopping time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach