Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 AM

374 posts, read 548,933 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm considering getting my real estate license. Is it possible to start part-time? I am a school teacher and would like to start part-time in the summer to see how things go. I would be scared to quit my job cold turkey...I've got a child to support.

Anyway, thanks for your advice/input.

~Allison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:10 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Allison.. in this market I would highly recommend you NOT become a Real Estate Agent, especially a part time one. Many have gotten out of the business entirely in the last couple of years.

You MUST have at least 6 months on saved income to live on to even THINK about it. At least that was the old money amount needed. I have no idea what it might be in todays economy...maybe its more since we pay for EVERYTHING plus just the right to use the Brokers name. I mean e v e r y t h i n g down to postage stamps and pieces of copy paper. Nothing is free.

Besides the fact that you really can't do this part time and do ANY good to your customer and clients. You won't be available when they need you--which can be 24/7.... you are teaching school.

NO....this job is NOT easy.. this job does not make quick money .... this job is NOT what you think it is...

Its a LOT of work, its expensive more than you realize, and you DONT GET PAID till something closes! but the BILLS are still there to be paid. You work for FREE till something closes, regardless of how may customers or clients you take all over the place or how many months it takes to close.

REALITY

Old 10-29-2012, 03:09 PM

403 posts, read 1,079,784 times
This is actually a question I've been wanting to ask, maybe you can give me a heads up FlaLadyB. Taking into consideration that there are obvious operating costs and you don't get paid until you close, how is business past that? Let's say you stay afloat for a year or two? And an even more important question. Assuming you were a new agent, given what you know now what would you advise someone starting new in the business?

Old 10-29-2012, 03:48 PM

Considering that everything you learn in the classes you are required to take just to get started have almost nothing to do with the reality day to day working with people and handling the tons of expected and unexpected problems that arise, plus the new twists on old tiime favorites come up all the time.

They teach you the rules but the dont teach you what to do if......and the IF"s are constantly changing.

If you are not planning on making an investment in time and money and looking at this as a full time long term JOB... please dont think this is just something to get in for a year or two. If you want to get a license just so you can sell grandmas house when she dies... or to use when a friend sells his house...again, you aren't doing anyone any favors. You will actually end up probably giving them wrong advice if you dont know what you're doing and that cost money in the end. It can also costs friendships.

The laws change every time we turn around,especially with foreclosures and short sales. The requirements change, the lenders change what they are doing, what they want and how they want it. We have classes to go to constantly to find out what the lastest change is and how to handle it. Webinars and notices and requirements.. oh my...

There are currently 1,384 homes for sale in Port St Lucie at this moment. Actually, thats a really low number from where we were. There are 432 rentals (which pay next to nothing). I will get the number of Realtors on just the local St Lucie Board in the morning so you can divide them in to how many homes are for sale. That wont be including the Realtors from all the other Boards from here to Miami either.

Dont think you will like the odds.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:51 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
That's a lot of homes for the area...almost like the Tampa area!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:09 PM

a lot? are you kidding me? thats nothing compared to what has been on the market.

Let me see if I can find what is on the market in Tampa.......

OK.. I found another Keller Williams Realty agent that answered the phone

there are 2250 HOME FOR SALE in TAMPA are - that TWICE what we have here!

Last edited by FlaLadyB; 10-29-2012 at 06:23 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 PM

403 posts, read 1,079,784 times
Ok, it's a tough business. Given what you know today though, what advice would you give a new agent? Even before becoming an agent, what would you advise someone interested and what they should do to prepare?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:04 AM

Save money....its a commission only business and you don't know when your next check is coming.

Find someone in the business that will mentor you and keep you out of trouble, let you see the INSIDE of what is really going on and what you can or can not do about it.

Try to learn to read people and ask the right questions up front to best learn what the customers need and wants are. Learn who to work with and who to walk away from.

Get a tough outer skin (not meant as mean) This business is not for the faint of heart. Lots of NO's in every shape and form. Learn to deal with them and move forward. So many of us, me included, take some of the things people say and/or do to heart and that is one of the things that make this business even more difficult sometimes. You do everything you can, bend over backward, and still you get shafted by a customer. Makes you wonder what you did wrong when in reality, you didn't do anything wrong. Words and actions can and do hurt!

Remember you can't be a master of all trades, you cant do it all without help sometimes. Ask questions of people you know have done this for a long time- always. Be a source of information when you do know the answers. If you don't, ask and find out. Be helpful -no question is too stupid to ask.

Hope you don't get you know who for a customer. LOL!

I am off to yet another all day class.. <waving>

Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 AM

break time -- there are over 1400 Realtor members of the Port St Lucie Board-- and growing.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
Yes. Being a realtor is a tough job and has to learn to deal with all sorts of people at all sorts of their life stages. When I was buying my first home, I kept changing my mind, driving my realtor crazy. However, recently, I bought some land in Palm City. This realtor was lucky. Instead of just showing me the listings, she took me to show me the whole area, all the communities and each commiunity's character. Very quickly, I picked the community. Second trip, I picked lot and bought. She was happy. I liked her style. The reason it was a smooth transaction is because I know my price range and what I want. Looking back, I feel sorry for the realtor who helped us in picking out our first home.

Last edited by LingLing; 10-30-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach