Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 12:58 PM

910 posts, read 2,226,523 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why there is a large undeveloped area between Oslo Road and 5th Street SW, bounded also by 20th and 27th Avenues ? There are a lot of tall, branchless dead trees in it, possibly the result of a forest fire at some point. And oddly enough, I think I have seen glimpses of a few houses in it as well, that look abandoned - almost as if a suburb was started and then left. Parts of the area have "for sale" signs as well. There are businesses along Oslo's north side, but then I assume the woods runs all the way to 5th Street. I was told that it is a haven for homeless people. Any idea what is going on with this tract of land? It looks quite wild !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 AM

24 posts, read 63,988 times
If I remember correctly, the school board owns all of that land and had plans to build a new south county high school there. It hasn't been discussed (as far as I know) in quite a while, so who knows what their intentions are now.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM

910 posts, read 2,226,523 times
Thanks for that info, Bava ! I saw our neighbor yesterday and she said there was a fire there earlier this year, possibly set by vagrants. It looks like very rough scrub brush and forest; I can't imagine camping there !

The current Vero Beach High School is HUGE - they actually have a shuttle service to get kids from one side of the campus to the other, and my friend whose son goes there said there are 2,800 kids enrolled. So I could see why the idea of a second high school was considered !

Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,942,863 times
I dunno I drive up and down Oslo AND N/S on 27th and 20th all the time and never thought about it LOL. I work for people at 5th and 20th.

I've never seen any signs of any homeless looking people hanging around there or in the gas stations nearby on the two corners where you'd expect them to go for ~whatever.

I saw the sale signs and there are heavily wooded lots from there all the way down to Old Dixie it seems.

Maybe they congregate in that corner woods of 20 or is it 27? Where there's a church?

But I suspect it's not really true. You can't have homeless living on a busy corner like that and never see a soul. Then again the burnt random trees all up and down the Oslo wooded area on that side makes is seem like it could be so. Maybe they only come out at night, who knows. OR random crack heads or kids using it for nonsense.

In Broward, for example, you know exactly where everyone lives and other places in FL. Google Florida tent cities. Even on FDLE registry you see "under bridge" as the registered address LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach