Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:16 AM

910 posts, read 2,222,612 times

Advertisements

With the recent conversation in another thread about glass windows and energy conservation, I am wondering if anyone reading this has hurricane-impact glass windows ? If so, do they also help in energy conservation ? I assume they are a thicker pane than regular glass. Also, how expensive are they compared to accordion hurricane shutters ? I am wondering if we should go with the hurricane glass instead of the accordion shutters, in order to lower our electric bill - if the cost is not significantly higher for the glass vs. the shutters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 12:46 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,309,242 times
When I looked into Accordion shutters vs Hurricane glass , the Hurricane glass was 4/5 times more expensive if I recall

Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 PM

53 posts, read 122,550 times
Impact resistant windows will stop a break-through but the glass panel will still break and when they do, the entire window must be replaced, not just the broken pane. That gets expensive. I went with accordion shutters and if you dm me, I will give you the name of the company I used. They were great.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:12 AM

910 posts, read 2,222,612 times
Yikes, I did not realize that hurricane glass is THAT much more expensive ! Thanks for the price range, newred, and for the additional info, 55Monterey.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:01 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,800,600 times
I heard that having tint put on your windows serves as a decent cheap "impact resistant" glass. I know it won't make them much stronger, but when impacted, the tint deters the glass from flying and protects the interior a little better. Any truth to that?

Old 08-24-2013, 09:06 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,464,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
I heard that having tint put on your windows serves as a decent cheap "impact resistant" glass. I know it won't make them much stronger, but when impacted, the tint deters the glass from flying and protects the interior a little better. Any truth to that?
No.
Look into tempered glass if that's your goal.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:21 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times
I am having impact glass installed.

The energy savings will help defray the cost over time, as will insurance savings. The peace of mind is also well worth it, for security reasons it's much harder for someone to break in.

I am going with a company that offers a 20 year warranty on the windows... meaning that if the windows crack or break for any reason, including a hurricane, they will fix it for free.

Some models have LIFETIME warranties of free replacement, which I would have received except my historic board wouldn't allow that type of window for some reason.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:57 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,214,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

The energy savings will help defray the cost over time, as will insurance savings. The peace of mind is also well worth it, for security reasons it's much harder for someone to break in.

I am going with a company that offers a 20 year warranty on the windows... meaning that if the windows crack or break for any reason, including a hurricane, they will fix it for free.

Some models have LIFETIME warranties of free replacement, which I would have received except my historic board wouldn't allow that type of window for some reason.

WHY would they not let you install the kind of glass you want -- or is it the company? They have to give you a reason.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,309,242 times
Hopefully you are installing all new windows with Impact Glass and not just "having impact glass installed ?
Lots of times if the windows are installed improperly or cheaply the window will fail before the glass

Also I hope you checked with your insurance company about savings, when I called my I durance company the savings was minimum because the savings is a % on,y on the Hurricane part of the insurance not on the whole costs . The salesman often make claims of large savings on insurance and utilities and the savings are never whats claimed IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Old 08-26-2013, 03:40 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
WHY would they not let you install the kind of glass you want -- or is it the company? They have to give you a reason.

The historic board for the neighborhood I live in (of which I don't believe there is any corollary in PSL) dictates standards for all modifications to the exterior of the home.

A real pain in the rear, but I guess it's part of trying to keep things more authentic. I had a royal fight on my hands to get hardiplank siding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach