U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:32 PM

7 posts, read 42,280 times

Advertisements

We are a family with 2 boys ages 3 and 6(1st grade) currently living in a small suburban/rural town in Connecticut in a cul de sac neighborhood. My husband has been offered a terrific professional opportunity at Pratt and Whitney in the West Palm area. After looking at several threads, it sounds like Jupiter, Stuart or Palm City area is where we need to be in terms of safety and schools. We are laid back people who enjoy being together as a family, we enjoy outdoor activities over malls, movie theaters and xboxes. Our town is SMALL...we have 2 first grade classes with 14 students each! From other threads it sounds like the subdivisions in Jupiter may be a bit intense for us..but zillow rates their high school higher than Stuart. I like the sound of Stuart's more laid back vibe if schools are equally as good. How would the commute to Pratt be from Stuart? I would be going down without a job Andy hope to do contract/daily work at first. Are there quality daycare/preschool options that are affordable in the area? I think we would rent first to be sure the area is a good fit before we buy. I would love to get a place with a Florida room, screened pool and some fruit trees to really embrace the Florida lifestyle over a townhouse...is that an option to rent? We would be leaving all of our family here in the Northeast, but we are excited by this potential opportunity to get out of the 5 mos of cold and enjoy some beach time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 04:17 PM

95 posts, read 201,242 times
We live in Palm City. We have pre-k twins and a second grader. All the elementary schools in Palm City are A rated and we have had a wonderful experience with our elementary and pre-school. There are a few good choices with preschools in town. Palm City is small, but convenient and very family friendly. Our neighbor actually works at PW. I would guess the commute is about 30 minutes from Palm City, give or take depending on where in Palm City you live. Stuart and Palm City are in Martin county and it is much less expensive here than in Jupiter (Palm Beach County). Living in Palm City, you do have to go into Stuart or Jensen Beach for big box stores. Let me know if you have any questions. Best wishes.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:57 PM

10,604 posts, read 15,576,665 times
Ahhh I just saw this on the news tonight!

Lawsuit blames South Florida companies, Pratt Whitney and Palm Beach Aggregates, for cancer cases

You mean the office in Jupiter? Tequesta may be more your type of town, it's an adorable hamlet/village. A stone's throw above Jupiter. It's still a 30 minute commute but West instead of going south.

He'd be a contractor at first? For P&W, though? Meaning he could be driving anywhere? Or he's a contractor being hired by P&W as a contractor for them? Working out of the Jupiter office?

Yes always rent first, especially in FL.

I don't recall the area in Jupiter Farms Park but that would be ideal location at 15 minutes! Luckily it seems you can avoid I95 to get to P&W but I don't know about the alternate routes traffic situation. I HATE commuting and REFUSED to relocate here just to be stuck in the car and hour or two a day like in my former life. Then I started a pet sitting company and am stuck in the car all day hahaha.

Great Schools site:

Jupiter Farms Elementary School - Jupiter, Florida - FL - School overview

Old 09-13-2013, 12:53 PM

25 posts, read 40,002 times
I too moved from CT to Florida in 2006 and loved it ever since(no more miserable winters). I rented in Jupiter for 5 yrs and loved it, but moved to Port St Lucie because we bought a nice big house. I would live in Jupiter, if I can afford it and don't mind older houses but your dollar gets you farther up in St Lucie county.

From what I heard, the schools are rated higher in Martin county(Stuart, Palm City) than in Palm Beach county(Jupiter, PBG). If schools is high on your list, I would suggest looking in Martin county.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:10 PM

Thank you for your input. I am totally used to a 20 minute drive to get to target, etc where we live now, so that is no big deal. As long as there is some sort of grocery store within 10 minutes , I'm good.

I like the sound of Tequesta, but a bit worried about the east-west commute for my husband. Took a look a Jupiter Farms....is being on a paved road really a selling point? I imagine it is hotter out there than Tequesta/Stuart as more inland.

To runswithscissrs...you do pet sitting??!!! I 'm a veterinarian! Any thoughts on veterinary market down there? I 'm hoping to do relief work until find a good fit with a practice. My husband will be at the main PW plant west of Jupiter...

Old 09-14-2013, 06:52 AM

95 posts, read 201,242 times
There are a few vets in Palm City. A few seems a lot since Palm City is small. I am sure there are more in Stuart. One of the vets in Stuart just built a big new facility on Kanner. I cant place the name.

Palm City also has all of your immediate shopping needs, Publix (two of them), Drug Stores, Pizza places, nail and hair salons, dry cleaners, a few local restaurants and the ever important Panera and Dunkin Donuts. 20 minutes drive will get you everything else you need.

There are plenty of activities for kids, all of the typical stuff, plus the county is building a new little league park next to Citrus Grove Elementary. Should be ready to go this coming baseball season. Here is the Martin County School site. Bessey Creek, Citrus Grove and Palm City Elementary are the 3 in Palm City, www.martinschools.org. You can find all of the school grades under the Parents and Students section.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:21 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,867,376 times
Try this web site for homes www.listingbook.com my real estate agent gave it to me and they send you a daily list of homes for sale.

I have not gotten any junk mail yet...but you are required to set up an account...

Old 09-14-2013, 01:26 PM

10,604 posts, read 15,576,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctvet View Post
Thank you for your input. I am totally used to a 20 minute drive to get to target, etc where we live now, so that is no big deal. As long as there is some sort of grocery store within 10 minutes , I'm good.

I like the sound of Tequesta, but a bit worried about the east-west commute for my husband. Took a look a Jupiter Farms....is being on a paved road really a selling point? I imagine it is hotter out there than Tequesta/Stuart as more inland.

To runswithscissrs...you do pet sitting??!!! I 'm a veterinarian! Any thoughts on veterinary market down there? I 'm hoping to do relief work until find a good fit with a practice. My husband will be at the main PW plant west of Jupiter...
OK so good at least his commute is defined and not all over the region.

YES I'm a water person so the closer the better but some people are the opposite.

YES FL has unpaved roads all over. Up here TONS of our side streets are unpaved, kinda like compressed sand, and some are bumpy LOL.

YES I am a pet sitter/dog walker!

Lots of my clients use Banfield because they are corporate relocators and thought the plan would be helpful. You know that while Banfield's computer spits out the rule ins and rule outs and TX, they don't exactly have that "personalized" feel. People are usually OK with that until something happens. Then they all switch to my "preferred vet(s)" once they have an issue. Or because they for example, don't speak English as well as a native and get confused and want me to take the dogs to the vet for them or go with them. Like my 2 lb Yorkie with pneumonia. Her owners were Russian and didn't understand what they were told or the "ways" we do things here so much.

LOLOLOL

In my experience, people who are willing to hire a pet sitter are also loyal to their veterinarian and look for the standard "compassionate, technically sound, and good communicator" types of vets. Also word of mouth. I just moved my biz from Jacksonville to Vero Beach and it's amazing how many of my clients ALL use the same practice (I get the info when I sign them up and get a vet release). And we have MANY practices here.

There is sometimes a bit of a cultural thing, too in So FL. Like when I took my son's Dane to the West Palm dermatologist, every single person in the office was speaking Spanish including the vet treating my dog speaking Spanish to the tech. I did NOT LIKE THAT.

Pet sitters run into alot of issues and our clients are excellent at taking our advise once we have a relationship. Just last month I texted a vacation lady "Fido is in pain, he's shaking and can't support his weight or eat except for out of my hand. He's panting and circling for an hour so I'm taking him to the ER". HER: "Oh it's ok he's been that way for a month it's dementia, he's 13". You know how that goes...

ME: "NO, it's pain or some kind of seizure/neuro or something. He needs a vet so when you come home tomorrow it's critical you take him it could be heart or something and treatable". I do have the option of going without the owner's permission because I have the release, but Fido seemed to calm down and get his strength back and his vitals seemed ok so I went along with them saying they'd take him the next day.

Of course they finally took him and it was a back injury and also very bad thyroid! They felt awful but very grateful. I have them again this week and the dog is like a PUPPY now that he's out of pain and on meds.

I mostly get: badly ripped nails that need surgery (4 times in ONE YEAR!) twice it happened on the OWNER when they happened to be leaving for their trip! So I take them in and stay overnight or a few hours etc:

GI, including projectile diarrhea from IBS especially during fireworks or thunderstorms - this dog also drowned swimming in a lake with a stick but the owner is a MD and brought him back with CPR. I do NOT go to dog parks or LAKES! Also some dehydration cases when the owner fails to disclose the 2 days of diarrhea before they go on vacation:

UTIs:

LOTS of Cushings this one was 14, stable but blind, incontinent and wobbly so I photoshopped this joke on NYE when the owners had to be out of town to cheer them up:

Recovering ACLs and Hip surgeries; last month a new client needed help for her giant Lab's hip surgery and changed from Banfield to the vet I recommended for the surgery, and got her squared away with a sling, a ramp etc:

and of course skin and allergy (this was actually my dog in the middle of treatment; if you ever get a megaesophagus, contact me! He had that, too! From Helicobacter, BAD ulcer, IBD).

They recommend flea treatment in So FL every THREE WEEKS. I tell people they HAVE TO treat their lawns!!

So yeah, try and find a practice that's a good fit. Lots of transient people in FL and people looking for care.

Right now I have a 2x a day 17 yr old LIVELY Shih Tzu who lives in assisted living with her owner who has dementia. But she has limited vision and can't tolerate standing for a long time. I would give ANYTHING for a mobile vet who would also do basic grooming! But her vet is really scared to even cut the hair around her eyes so I do it when I give her meds and her Cyclosporin. LOL I HATE doing nails and won't do them.

So I'd say there's a market for seniors and others who can get care at home for their pets, too. Something to think about but you'd still need some type of facility. Also there's the issue of payment with seniors some don't think twice and others insist on deserving a discount for random reasons of age or trying to "negotiate" prices once you show up at their house! That is NOT my market! LOL

The photos were to make you smile since you're going to be missing your practice soon!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-14-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 03:10 PM

Thank you for your information! If I end up heading down there, I may ask for the name of the practice that many of your clients use. I am in a small clinic (2 docs) here in CT and we really strive to have excellent client and pet care, very personal. We do use an excellent emergency clinic as we are a day practice only...we have a great emergency and referral relationship with them. I am surprised you do not have mobile groomers in the area..especially with seniors. We have a couple in this area that have self contained trailers and come right to the client's driveways! Still in limbo regarding financial offer for job...relocation package is very nice. From some looking on Zillow, we should be able to get a house for less than we can sell our house for here...which would be comforting as I would be coming down without a job...

Old 09-19-2013, 06:52 PM

4,509 posts, read 7,728,544 times
there are mobile groomers in the area....self contained truck facilities. I see them in numerous places.

My thoughts on moving to Jupiter, although I LOVE Jupiter, but coming from a very small rural area would be a bit of a shock. Jupiter Farms, west of 95 and the turnpike would be a suggestion since its acreage. Paved and not paved roads mixed and various kinds of houses. Horses allowed and are there. It would lessen the differences once you cross over east of I95..on the way to the beach!....with malls, restaurants, and shopping out your eyeballs LOL!

Tequesta is beautiful but as someone just mentioned, a bit of a drive and not as easily accessable.

Hobe Sound, Kanner Highway area, Palm City give you a fairly quick access to Pratt since you can jump on I95. I have clients that live in Port St Lucie as well for the lower price and a few extra miles and work at SIKORSKY AIRCRAFT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach