Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:08 AM

217 posts, read 371,992 times

Advertisements

Here in Port St. Lucie I would welcome an Aldi or anything that would be decent competition for Publix. There's no denying that Publix runs a good operation, and if I'm going to be stuck with one chain I'd rather it be Publix rather than Albertsons's (now gone) or Winn-Dixie (only two left and I never could get on with WD) but in the 9th largest city in the 4th largest state in the country, I think there must be room for another national chain to give consumers a little choice. And though I shop there for a few items I don't consider Walmart grocery to be proper competition for a dedicated grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 11:37 AM

185 posts, read 457,508 times
My sister went to one in Orlando. She told me it was a horrible experience. The place was gross and it was very trashy. She said she'd rather shop at Wal-Mart and she DOES NOT shop at Wal-Mart! lol

Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
Have been to only 2 Aldi's, one in NJ and another in Daytona, FL and both were fine, had a decent selection of items and the prices were good, I got what I needed and was on my way (neither place did I do big shopping there but Ive been to the N NJ one many times and it was always a good experience and I felt like I got my money's worth, the FL one is a bit inconvenient right now so I cant really judge but eventually I'll prob. get there more often, the few times I've been there were good and the prices were low and as far as I know, they dont take coupons (neither does Costco).

Have been to Burlington Coat Factory in N NJ and it was OK, they did have a good selection of items at good prices and ppl seem to like it but maybe I went at an off-time or was just tired, it just seemed busy and crowded and I coudlnt get out of there fast enough, had no burning - or slight - desire to go back (Calgon, take me away, lol).

Old 10-13-2013, 06:34 PM

108 posts, read 181,542 times
Anybody ever been to a Penn-Dutch? I think the nearest one is off of Sample and 441? I once overheard an employee at a facility that I was doing maintance at (an old job) in Stuart talking to a fellow employee about how she HAD to shop there. I had took a look at their flyer online (Penn Dutch Food Center) but decided that the drive and inconvenience was just too much.

howlinowl

Old 10-25-2013, 04:42 AM

3 posts, read 12,720 times
Hey all, I am new here and saw this thread so I thought I would put in my two cents worth.

I have been a long time shopper at Aldi, since at least 2012 or 2011. Back when the first store in the area was in Delray beach, this was also when I lived in West Palm Beach. I now live in PSL and commute frequently to Palm Beach County, and still shop at the Aldi Store in Delray Beach and West Palm Beach.

There were some questions on the thread, that I think I can answer.

1: "Why shop at Aldi?"
To me, Aldi has high quality products at very low prices, I am able to fill my cart with Aldi Groceries for my family of four for about $200, and my shopping cart is overfilled with groceries. I do not have the source, but I am huge ALDI fanboy, and on a thread I read a few months ago, there was a trucker who works for Aldi, and advised that he job was to take Cheese from Sorrento and ship it Aldi so they package it and sell it under the ALDI line. This goes for many of the other food products, that you know the official brand, but Aldi just puts there label on it, e.g. Aldi Oreos, without I doubt, I know those are Oreos.

No shopping is not a pleasure at Aldi, if you want it to be a pleasure go to Publix. Aldi has multiple cost saving measures in efforts to keep overhead cost down so they can keep the cost of the products low, such as the bring a quarter for your cart and no credit cards (debit cards are accepted).

2: "Why don't we have a Aldi here?"
Basically, we do not have a Aldi in this area because Aldi does not have a distribution center for this area (NOT YET at least), they are currently still building a distribution center in Royal Palm Beach that is expected to open in 2015. Once they get distribution center open, plan to see multiple Aldi's pop up.

"Hewitt said with the new distribution center will come new Aldi stores. The center will deliver fresh fruit and all other goods sold to Aldi stores as far north as Vero Beach, west to Sarasota and to all stores south, he said.
Aldi's distribution centers typically support 60 to 80 stores, Hewitt said."

source: Aldi begins distribution center construction in Royal Palm Beach - Sun Sentinel

3. Where will Aldi go in PSL?
If I had to take a good guess about where they will put ALDI in PSL, I really hope they put a Aldi in PSL based on our population, that Aldi would be looking to buyout half of the old Albertsons at the corner of Cashmere and St. Lucie West Blvd. My reasoning for this location is two-fold. One is that, that location has been vacant ever since I moved to PSL in 2012, and secondly, Aldi did the same thing in Delray, and leased out half of the vacant Albertsons in Delray Beach.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,790 times
Smile Aldi Coming to PSL

I recently emailed Aldi and the reply I received was that an Aldi ws coming to PSL by July of 2014.
Just don't know where. They usually take over a smaller "grocery" type store. I'm thinking somewhere on US1

Old 11-16-2013, 05:51 PM

34 posts, read 53,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandawoman View Post
I recently emailed Aldi and the reply I received was that an Aldi ws coming to PSL by July of 2014.
Just don't know where. They usually take over a smaller "grocery" type store. I'm thinking somewhere on US1
Oh cool, maybe the old Albertsons on PSL Blvd?

Old 11-30-2013, 01:31 PM

72 posts, read 139,620 times
Really happy to read that Aldi will be moving into the area there. We're still up in northeastern IL, but will be moving there soon. We're very familiar with Aldi. There's one in Crystal Lake IL which is small and feels like the walls are closing in on you and there are no windows except at the front. But there's another Aldi close by in Cary IL which is only a couple years old and it is huge and open with big windows and it's very inviting. I would think all newer Aldi stores that are to be built in Florida would be designed bigger like this.

My wife at first wanted nothing to do with the store. I got her to go, but she was unfamiliar with non-name brands and didn't want to try them. Well, I forced it! She was very surprised when trying different products that she actually liked them more than the name brands. We still shop at Walmart for many items, but then we go straight over to Aldi for all the rest. We've been saving a fortune. And I mean that! A fortune!

If you go to an Aldi, you might be put off by the sight of the long lines at the checkouts. But don't let that long line deter you! Those lines move FAST! Yes, you have to bag your own. (That helps keep the lines moving and the costs down.) You can purchase bags there - which will then last forever - or bring good strong plastic bags from other stores. Here in IL, we have a home store called Menards. They have very strong plastic bags. Whenever we shop there, we double up on the bags and keep them for use at Aldi. As I write this, we're nearing December 2013. I'm still using Menards bags from last Christmas season!

Yes, you have to "rent" a cart. It's simple. Once you locate a quarter, just keep it in your car. (Both our cars have coin slots in the arm compartments.) Just keep using that same quarter over and over. Again, this helps to keep the costs down. Plus, it's not like you have to walk to the outer limits of a shopping mall parking lot to your car to unload groceries and then back to park the cart and get your quarter out of the cart. Aldi parking lots aren't that big, and customers get in and out FAST.

We've been happy with almost every item we've ever purchased at Aldi. As someone above wrote, many of the products are in fact made by some of the biggest known food companies. Somehow they're making big bucks by changing the name on their product for use by Aldi. The cereals are made by "Millville", just down the lane from a little company called "General Mills". They're great! And they're a whole lot cheaper. One item we didn't like was their salad dressing. The fruits and vegetables are always fresh and low priced.

If you're interested in saving money and have an open mind, then try one of the newer designed Aldi stores when they build in your town. You'll be doing yourself a favor. (And no, I'm not employed in any way by Aldi!)

Old 01-09-2014, 04:16 AM

3 posts, read 12,720 times
This link from PSL website, suggest that Aldi has plans to start construction in Saint Lucie West. Cant speak for everyone, but I am excited. So, it sounds like July 2014 is in range for a grand opening!!!

http://www.cityofpsl.com/city_clerk/...a_1_8_2014.pdf

Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,169,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortStLucieWater View Post
Many years ago Publix had the carts that you put a quarter in to use. (at least in Miami)

Must have been a Miami thing. Been shopping Publix for almost 40 years and they have always had free carts and people to carry your groceries out for you, here in Brevard County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach