Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 01:02 PM

24 posts, read 46,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy08 View Post
The GIS hasn't been updated to include P13-163. Can someone please provide the exact location of the proposed store? ) Thanks.
According to documents with pictures of the proposed site, it will be on the corner lot of where Home Depot is on St. Lucie West blvd and Cashmere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:04 AM

51 posts, read 88,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
I went to an Aldi once in Ohio and didn't go back. Just a bit too bare bones for me; I don't like using most "store brand" items as even Publix can fall short on some of their own brands (their English muffins can't hold a candle to the Thomas brand).

Have you tried Bay's English Muffins? They are in the refrigerated case near the dairy?, I think. They are remodeling my Publix (St Andrews on St James) and, right now, everything is in an unfamiliar place.

Anyway, they come in Reg, Whole Wheat and the variety we love, the Sourdough. Just a bit of a tang..Walmart carries them, too. I love these English Muffins. Better than Thomas English Muffins. Give them a try. I think you'd enjoy them.

As to Aldis coming to PSL... I don't think this is something to rejoice about. To me, it is just another bad sign that the economy is not getting any better here on the Treasure Coast, PSL, specifically.

I mean, another Golden Corral, multiple Dollar Stores and now, this 1 step up from Sav-a-lot, Aldis supermarket. Well, speaks for itself.

This is coming from someone who shops multiple venues. Our financial situation has greatly improved and I am beyond thrilled that I no longer have to shop Sav-a-lot. If I am going by it I will stop in to stock up on my favorite black pepper .. coarse ground. Marcum brand 3.75 ounce size under 2.00 bucks.

Surprisingly, Publix isn't always the most expensive. Yes, for lots of things it is. But when we were doing the majority of our shopping at Walmart and Sav-a-lot there were many times that I automatically assumed that Publix would be higher and so purchased it at Walmart instead...only to get to Publix and see that Walmart was higher. I still shop Walmart for certain items. We are from Massachusetts and Vermont Cabot is a regional high end brand. Apparently, it is not well known around here. Walmart sells their butter for 2.98 a pound....it is very good butter. It sells for well over 4.00, close to 5.00 bucks a pound at Publix. About the same back home in MA. Same for their cheeses, bar cheeses, like Cracker Barrel Cheddars and such. I think they are only about 2.37 each. And I always buy my Half and Half at Walmart. The quart size costs LESS than what Publix charges for the pint size of theirs. House brand in both cases.

Where else do I shop? Love the Asian market on Rt.1... not the one way down near the Roosevelt bridge. Wish I could remember the name of the Plaza.....right hand side, heading South, after Prima Vista and before Village Green Intersection. Big Green ASIAN sign covering whole entrance.

Just realized I had their business card, so I called them. They are in a shared Plaza with Crown Plaza, they are in The Palms side of the strip mall/plaza. Anyway, fabulous Asian products and I pick up fresh Asian veggies there. Also, if you've ever had a birthday/special occasion cake from a bakery in a large city Chinatown you know how wonderfully different but fabulous they are. Very light cake with a whipped cream frosting with fresh fruit topping. They can special order one. Love to buy Filipino Longanisa sausage. It is a sweet sausage. DH loves it for breakfast.

I go to the Spanish/Mexican Market on Delaware (directly across the street from the Florida Community Health Center) Ft Pierce to buy the Spanish Hot version of Longanisa. Both are fresh, uncooked sausage. And they have wonderful fresh made Seafood/Shrimp Ceviche sold by the large cup size, 7.00 bucks. On Saturdays it is very busy for such a tiny store.. the local Mexican and Spanish people treat it as a "Supermarket". But it is worth it to stop by on a Saturday just to buy some of the freshly cooked BBQ meat being cooked right outside the store on a large fire grill. Whole BBQ chickens are cheap. And delicious. Both places the people are wonderful. Very friendly and helpful if you are unfamiliar with any of the native cuisine. Yummy fresh Mexican baked goods/pastries, too.

And being from Massachusetts we love our grilled Steak Tips which are very hard to find here. It is also known as Flap Meat and you should be able to find it at Spanish markets.. they use this for Fajitas.
We joined BJ's and buy it there. If you are a beef lover you should try this. Cut it up into large chunks/kabobs and marinade in whatever makes you happy, throw on an open flamed grill until no more than medium rare. Fabulous. Plus, we are big meat eaters and love Rib Eye and so we buy it Whole and have it cut into steaks. Usually runs around 6.99 but have gotten it for 5.99 per poundThe membership price was worth it for the price of whole ribeye.. pork loin, babyback ribs, double rack for under 12 bucks. And the Flap is 5.99..sometimes 4.99 per pound. We buy the house brand, Wellsley Farms, ground coffee (they have whole bean also), 40 0z size for 8.99. Very god coffee. WF butter is also very good. A large 4 lb pack costs under 8.50. Butter freezes just fine. We also buy the 3 pack of bacon.. 12.00 bucks. Olive Oil is also a very good buy at BJ's. We buy Carbonell, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 68.0z size for 11.00 bucks.

We are considering heading South, all the way down in Margate, once a month to shop for meat.. very good quality meat, at Penn-Dutch. You can check it out on the web. It is worth the trip for the great prices and great quality. You can sigh up for the weekly flyer to be sent via email.

WELL.. had no idea when I started that this would be such a LONG post! ;0 Hopefully, folks will find this to be useful. And I do, very much, enjoy Sealark7's posts and viewpoint as a newish Treasure Coast resident. She moved here about a year after I did, I think. And we both seem to be still feeling our way around. I keep wanting to visit Vero Beach.. have only been there once, for very, very good Vet care at the Florida Veterinary League. Very affordable and very caring staff. I would love to ride up to Vero Beach along Indian river Drive. I love driving on IRD in Jensen Beach, which I greatly enjoy.. and through to Ft Pierce, which I also enjoy. My DH has a part time job on Hutchinson Island, so we are out that way every weekend.

Anyway, hopefully, I'll get there one day... sooner rather than later, I hope. Sebastian, too. Probably will be soon as I've found a great general contractor who also makes custom, hand made kitchen cabinets at a very, very good price. Better, by far, than even the Big Box stores.

And, DONE. ;0 Really, this time I am really signing off.

E

Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 AM

51 posts, read 88,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlinowl View Post
Anybody ever been to a Penn-Dutch? I think the nearest one is off of Sample and 441? I once overheard an employee at a facility that I was doing maintance at (an old job) in Stuart talking to a fellow employee about how she HAD to shop there. I had took a look at their flyer online (Penn Dutch Food Center) but decided that the drive and inconvenience was just too much.

howlinowl
I know this is an older post, but see my comment on my post, further on into thread. Just finished posting it. Love Penn-Dutch. I would never feel sorry "that I HAD to shop there"... sav-a-lot, yes.. Penn-Dutch, no.

If that employee was complaining about the distance.. then yes, I see her point. But the prices are great and it is full service.. well worth the trip once per month to stock up. If I lived closer, I would do all my shopping there.

E

Old 02-24-2014, 04:09 AM

403 posts, read 1,079,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3105 View Post
According to documents with pictures of the proposed site, it will be on the corner lot of where Home Depot is on St. Lucie West blvd and Cashmere.
Awesome catch Matt. I was able to find it and I'll be using it for blog material. Thanks man. )

Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 7,378 times
Default Aldi's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy08 View Post
I keep looking at the city's GIS to see if the documents are uploaded but nothing yet. Oh, and someone informed me that Aldi got caught selling horse meet as beef. : /
That was in Europe. The meat at Aldi's is really good.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,889 times
They are building an Alsi in PSL, by Home Depot. Im from the midwest and have been eating aldi brand food since the 80s. They partner with major manufacturers, who produce the branded items, so youre essentially getting the branded items. Just check the plant id number on cottage cheese or sour cream for example. You will findit comes from Friendship Farms, the same major brand in regular grocery stores. Aldi sources alot of local/regional produce as well. Alot of Aldis are going up in old Albertsons buildings. We wont have that here in vero because miracle mile publix leases the old aldi building so another grocer cant move in. Vero sucks when it comes to saving money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach