Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:23 AM

15 posts, read 25,897 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, I don't know.

Relocated down here in July. Everyone always says Ct is so expensive to live, but as I go through day to day life in FL I have to disagree.

My car insurance jumped up $100 a month.

Food is more expensive/grocery stores are no good.

My cell phone bill went up (and they stated it was because of our new address)

Homeowners insurance is crazy....

And to top it off my taxes on the house just went up $1000 from last year.

Oh, and $400 to register each car? We have 3. Bye bye $1200.

I finally found a job with comparable pay, but hubby has not been able to get anything over $12 an hour which really is not what he is used too.

Seriously reconsidering going back.

Anyone have a different perspective for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
How much research did you do before you moved? Why did you want to move? Seems like it was impetuous. Moving during your working years needs to be well thought out. Retirees stating that the col is much lower doesn't necessarily carry over to those in the work force. When I moved I downsized considerably and left most of my toys behind. Because I'm retired, I have less day to day expense and coupled with much lower property taxes, no income tax, and much cheaper services, my col is much less than NJ.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,304,719 times
Moved from the western NY area , my auto insurance stayed the same , yes the cost to register the car was expensive but it's a one time fee and I knew that in advance , my homeowners insurance is more @ double, knew that too... Property taxes are 1/4 of what I paid before and my property taxes have actually decreased each year I have lived here , in NY they went up a few hundred dollars ... Food does cost more but research, coupons , BOGO sales , fresh produce markets make it same or less .. So for us it's a lower cost based mainly on property taxes and sales taxes ...

Old 11-14-2013, 12:25 PM

And I really wonder why a cell bill would increase based on where you live ?? Metro PSC has 40.00 unlimited everything for one line, 70 for two lines, 90.00 for three lines and 100.00 for four lines ...and those all include unlimited Data, text and tax and all taxes/fee ...

Old 11-14-2013, 12:26 PM

Maybe it's a communications tax , because in NY there was zero tax on Satellite service( directv) and here there's a whopping 12.00 ish tax and communications fee .l

Old 11-14-2013, 12:50 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
I agree- there are a lot of things that are more expensive here. My car insurance doubled, and the utilities are quite a bit more than NC. Your vehicles are expensive, but that is the last time you need to pay that. If and when you buy another car, the tag goes to the next vehicle. I had a $300 bill every year in NC, and I had a inspection bill to boot. Food is a little bit more- but if you shop at Walmart and use the new BOGO match you can save a ton.

There are adjustments that need to be made anywhere you live, and to consider moving because of those bills seem short sighted IMO. I just don't understand how thinking you could save money by spending money to move back would make financial sense. Good luck with whatever you decide, but are you sure you want to move back only because of money?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:49 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
Also- what is the state income tax like in CT? There is none here.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springtime129 View Post

I finally found a job with comparable pay, but hubby has not been able to get anything over $12 an hour which really is not what he is used too.

?
The first thing anyone will tell you while you are even thinking about moving down here is don't move to Florida without having jobs lined up first unless you don't have to work.

No amount of nice weather and sunshine makes up for being broke and blowing through all your savings.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:03 PM

142 posts, read 230,525 times
The taxes on my townhouse (Putnam County, NY) are almost $9000.00. State and local income taxes are 11%. Can't wait for my transfer/opportunity to open up! Nothing will please us more than to see NY in my rear view mirror. By the way.....temp was 19* the other morning and we had snow!

Old 11-14-2013, 05:07 PM

142 posts, read 230,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The first thing anyone will tell you while you are even thinking about moving down here is don't move to Florida without having jobs lined up first unless you don't have to work.

No amount of nice weather and sunshine makes up for being broke and blowing through all your savings.
I agree - no transfer...no move! For me, the nice thing is I'll be able to take my current package with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach