Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2014, 06:20 PM
 
68 posts, read 174,611 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Micco and Sebastian are only the length of a short bridge apart but they're in different counties. Micco being Brevard and Sebastian Indian River. I prefer Sebastian but you'd have to decide for yourself. Both are nice places to live with plenty of activities to keep you busy. Micco is a little more rural, Sebastian is more like a town. Sebastian has no CDD. I moved here a few years ago from NJ and the homeowners is quite a bit higher, but the car ins. is a little lower. I don't know what you're paying so I couldn't compare. Ins is also dependent on where you live and the construction of your house. You'll pay less if the house is up to the latest code and features a hip roof and masonry construction. What kind of place are you looking for?
Thanks for info about difference between Micco and Sebastian. Right now we have 2500sf, and don't use most of it. So plan on downsizing quite a bit. My husband would prefer brick, 3/2, garage, screened porch, one story, think we could live with 1500 sf or even a little less if we had screened porch and garage. Maybe in an area that has manageable HOAs so there are some guidelines to help maintain homes, would be nice to have lawn taken care of. Were sort of up in the air on requirements. Might consider over 55, condo. Lots of things we are looking at. One thing we don't want are the CDD's which I found out about on one of the Florida forums. Safe areas and being close to shopping, no further than half an hour from beach. I think when we visit we will have a better idea, sort of "You know when you see it". Good info about car insurance though. Do you have any issues with flooding in Sebastian, (flood insurance required)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM
 
68 posts, read 174,611 times
Reputation: 49
Thanks for info. I posted one reply I thought but don't see it now, so try again . Do you need flood insurance in Sebastian? We want to downsize to about 1500sf. We have 2 story now and larger house and just ready to simplify. Would like screened porch, 2-3 beds, garage, manageable HOA's that would hopefully include lawn maint. in a safe area within 30 min. to beach. Brick home would be preference, but open to condos, over 55, manufactured housing (seems to be big in Florida), to me the location will be one of the biggest factors. Sebastian sounds nice so I'm going to do some research,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 12:09 PM
 
2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Reputation: 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMc View Post
Thanks for info about difference between Micco and Sebastian. Right now we have 2500sf, and don't use most of it. So plan on downsizing quite a bit. My husband would prefer brick, 3/2, garage, screened porch, one story, think we could live with 1500 sf or even a little less if we had screened porch and garage. Maybe in an area that has manageable HOAs so there are some guidelines to help maintain homes, would be nice to have lawn taken care of. Were sort of up in the air on requirements. Might consider over 55, condo. Lots of things we are looking at. One thing we don't want are the CDD's which I found out about on one of the Florida forums. Safe areas and being close to shopping, no further than half an hour from beach. I think when we visit we will have a better idea, sort of "You know when you see it". Good info about car insurance though. Do you have any issues with flooding in Sebastian, (flood insurance required)?
I've only been here about 3 years and haven't seen any flooding. I asked my neighbors who have been here for 25 years and they said that some streets were flooded during the hurricane in 04 but never got near the houses. I live in Sebastian highlands and the streets are about 20' above sea level. The houses sit higher, about 25-26 feet. 95% of the highlands aren't in a flood zone so you don't have to get flood ins. although it can't hurt at $250 a year. I'm about a mile from the Indian River Lagoon which separates the barrier island from the mainland. The lagoon,the island and the beaches are beautiful. There are some brick houses, but a lot of CBS homes. That's concrete block covered in stucco which is common in Florida. Typical sqf is 1400 - 2500. A lot of the homes have lanais which are screened covered patios within the footprint of the home. Many have pools which are also have screened enclosures. There are a few gated hoa developments and several upscale ,ungated hoa communities with large lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 01:22 PM
 
10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Reputation: 17353
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMc View Post
Thanks for info. I posted one reply I thought but don't see it now, so try again . Do you need flood insurance in Sebastian? We want to downsize to about 1500sf. We have 2 story now and larger house and just ready to simplify. Would like screened porch, 2-3 beds, garage, manageable HOA's that would hopefully include lawn maint. in a safe area within 30 min. to beach. Brick home would be preference, but open to condos, over 55, manufactured housing (seems to be big in Florida), to me the location will be one of the biggest factors. Sebastian sounds nice so I'm going to do some research,
That's a piece of cake here. Some HOAs have simple fees like even $75 every 3 months or $100 per month. Its a ratio of what they exactly need to maintain. A simple situation of tennis court or gates or a gazebo or lawn maintenance versus a full on clubhouse with pool(s).

Well yeah, you could say FL likes prefab/mobile housing. And probably liked it alot better before the hurricanes in the past decade than now.

But I am not aware of ANY manufactured housing trend in this area. OR in several other So FL counties for that matter. The same communities that were here for many years are still the only ones I'm aware of now.

While a coupla manufactured housing sites might be tempting...especially on the internet....the better ones are still EXPENSIVE and you're still high risk, IMO. Considering my entire condo building was trashed in 2004 and is masonry LOL.

So I wouldn't worry about settling for prefab unless for some reason you fall in LOVE with one of the few communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2014, 07:11 PM
 
29 posts, read 64,557 times
Reputation: 49
Barefoot Bay is nice, lots of older retired people, all nice, actually large prefab homes, it is in Micco and is still very close to Sebastian, i lived there a few years ago and there is an HOA which maintains a General clean atmosphere, there is also a strictly 55+ community right next to it called "snug harbor".

There is also a shopping center with a Winn Dixie, a Catholic Church (St Lukes), a county library, a number of doctors offices, gas station, and there is a Public Pool and other Public recreation including a Golf Course, they even have their own private beach access to residents only on the barrier island.

From what i remember they didn't do too bad in 2004, there was a Water spout in TS Fay back in 2008 that did some localized damage to some siding.

The area is adjacent to Orange Groves and i lived on Papaya Circle and could smell them all the time when they are in bloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 PM
 
Location: south jersey
10 posts, read 18,380 times
Reputation: 11
We just came down here to check out homes and find that if you are not in a gated community it is a little sketchy??? Any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2014, 04:35 AM
 
Location: Vero Beach
910 posts, read 2,218,996 times
Reputation: 478
I wouldn't say that is true, at least in the area we live in. Did you check along 5th Street SW, just north of Oslo Road (about 3 miles south of downtown) ? There are several very nice non-gated subdivisions between 20th and 43rd Avenues, not "sketchy" at all. Generally speaking the closer you get to downtown, the sketchier it might get, but not by any means to the point where it's all lower class housing ! What parts of the Vero Beach area did you check out ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2014, 07:21 AM
 
3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Reputation: 4073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotafl View Post
Barefoot Bay is nice, lots of older retired people, all nice, actually large prefab homes, it is in Micco and is still very close to Sebastian, i lived there a few years ago and there is an HOA which maintains a General clean atmosphere, there is also a strictly 55+ community right next to it called "snug harbor".

There is also a shopping center with a Winn Dixie, a Catholic Church (St Lukes), a county library, a number of doctors offices, gas station, and there is a Public Pool and other Public recreation including a Golf Course, they even have their own private beach access to residents only on the barrier island.

From what i remember they didn't do too bad in 2004, there was a Water spout in TS Fay back in 2008 that did some localized damage to some siding.

The area is adjacent to Orange Groves and i lived on Papaya Circle and could smell them all the time when they are in bloom.

Barefoot Bay definitely had some damage during the storms of 2004 as did all the areas of Indian River and Brevard County.


Hurricane Jeanne~ Media Pictures: Barefoot Bay

Hurricane Jeanne~ Media Pictures: Sebastian

But hurricanes aren't the only problem for mobile homes/double wides tornadoes seem to hit them more often.

Three are injured in Barefoot Bay twister | floridatoday.com | FLORIDA TODAY

Lots of interesting articles and pictures about the hurricanes of 2004. I can tell you from experience that after the storm can be trying and not so fun when you and everyone else are scrambling to find someone to come put in windows that blew out or roofs that blew off. We didn't live in a mobile home but several friends did and their winter homes were destroyed.

Just remembered a funny story. After the damage from Hurricane Francis, we went out on US 1 and got election signs to nail over the windows in our complex because there was no plywood left in the stores. The men running had announcements on the radio saying to use their signs if need be. Unfortunately Jeanne came in 3 weeks later and we had worse damage from that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 AM
 
10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Reputation: 17353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginabob4667 View Post
We just came down here to check out homes and find that if you are not in a gated community it is a little sketchy??? Any thoughts??
Where did you look?

I guess you need to define sketchy. Did you visit Hidden Lake and all those intersecting streets off of 58th; where HarryWho? referred you on your other thread? Also none of the three houses I posted there as examples are in sketchy neighborhoods.

//www.city-data.com/forum/port-...l#post33393135

Not gated and in your price range. Or by "gated" do you mean not actually having a "gate" but an "entrance"?

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, I say it so often I forget. ANYWHERE in FL you are going to find some houses on some streets that have deferred maintenance. You can go down a block of nice homes then find one oddball or even 3 streets of nice then an odd street. It's just how things went after the crash. FL was HIGH In foreclosures and also renters.

You have to drive up and down every street to get a feel for the neighborhoods.

Some neighborhoods are just more casual and laid back. People want it that way, to keep their boats, RV's and stuff without annoying others or being annoyed.

Yes that street with the blue house you picked out on the internet was "sketchy" - in that the people did not take such great care of the houses on that block. But it's also in the $125.00 price range for a single house. Surrounding streets are nicer.

This is the view you'd have from that blue house LOL. I'm from Philly/NJ and you see lots of this there, too. Just depends where you look.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2014, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Vero Beach
910 posts, read 2,218,996 times
Reputation: 478
The photo posted above is a good "ad" for why it is worth living in an HOA community. You would not see a chain-link fence or "No Trespassing" sign on an HOA street. Ours doesn't allow outbuildings of any sort, and fences have to be white vinyl. We pay $84 a month in HOA fees, the bulk of which pays for irrigating our grass. Sometimes the rules can be annoying, but they are there for a reason. I would hate to look out my front door and see a big boat or RV constantly parked in the driveway across the street. OR the scene in the photo above !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top