Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 01:59 PM

910 posts, read 2,218,049 times

Advertisements

We had friends from Ohio visit recently, and one of them wanted to see an alligator in the wild. I know you can take airboat tours for such a thing, but are there any preserves in the Vero Beach/Ft Pierce area where you have a good chance to see a gator without paying $50 or so for a tour ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 03:25 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,304,918 times
I know if you kayak in the Lost river in Stuart they are everywhere ....

Old 11-23-2013, 03:30 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,304,918 times
I have seen alligators in the stream behind the St Lucie Medical center / Woodstork trail near by house ..
I have some photos and can't seem to get them to post here ...

Old 11-23-2013, 07:41 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,905 times
I know if you go out to the new hospital in Tradition there are gators in the pond between the hospital and Gatlin. Saw 2 there just yesterday. Also, a fun trip with them could include a trip up to River Park Marina off Prima Vista. You can rent kayaks and canoes there and see all kinds of wildlife in the St Lucie river. I love it there!

Old 11-27-2013, 07:50 AM

564 posts, read 1,879,154 times
The boat ride up the river that sails from Captain Hirams in Sebastian is a never fail gator sighting trip for us. Although I have a few in my in laws neighborhood, too. ;-)

Old 11-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions ! We were told that there are gators in the condo area just north of McKee Botanical Gardens (There's even a "Do not feed the alligators" sign on the bridge over the canal) but alas we did not see any when we went there. The Captain Hiram boat ride might be a fun thing to do next time our friends visit.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:02 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions ! We were told that there are gators in the condo area just north of McKee Botanical Gardens (There's even a "Do not feed the alligators" sign on the bridge over the canal) but alas we did not see any when we went there. The Captain Hiram boat ride might be a fun thing to do next time our friends visit.
Are you in Vero Beach or farther South? I can almost guarantee that you will see gators in the wild at the Stick Marsh right on the Indian River Brevard County line. From the South take I-95 to the Sebastian/Fellsmere exit. Go into Fellsmere and turn North on Broadway( I think- has the Marsh Landing restaurant on it). go to the T take a left on that street and turn on 507(Babcock St here in Brevard) going North. There will be signs for the Stick Marsh. Turn left on the road at the canal. It is 7 miles long between the canals-gravel/dirt road so can be rough sometimes. At the end of the road is a little park with restroom/small pavilion/boat ramps/ and a small cement fishing spot above the water. Kind of cool and spooky at the same time. We used to joke it would be a great spot for the mafia to drop a body. LOL Last time out we had great cell coverage so not as scary as it was when we'd go fishing out there with the kids and wondered how we would get help if someone got bit by a snake etc. Sometimes gators would be within a few feet of us when fishing from the bank and would get our bait. We have seen lots of wildlife in and on the water and on land out there including racoons,deer, lots of birds, and even saw a panther one night when leaving at dusk. It ran in front of the car.
Be sure to bring drinks etc, because it is really isolated. Real Florida assisted by man but about as natural as it can get. Stick Marsh Lake | One Cast Away | Central Florida Bass Fishing

Old 11-28-2013, 08:13 AM

Thanks Rabflmom ! We are in the south end of Indian River County but this would not be that far a drive. I will copy your directions for future use. It sounds like a fascinating place.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:41 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,506 times
I second Rabflmom. I live fairly close to Fellsmere and have been to Stick Marsh a few times. On the way back you can stop at the Marsh Landing restaurant in Fellsmere and get some good authentic regional food. Beware of the Swamp Water. No more than 1! (It's a drink served in a Mason jar.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwdhdq0Ttw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach