Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 02:04 PM

459 posts, read 619,958 times

Advertisements

I made a trip down to PSL a few weeks ago and looked at several smaller properties, with an eye to rental or clean up and resell. I have an accepted offer on a 2 bed 1 bath house that needs minimal work to make it livable again.
I think I can do all the tax, electric, water etc remotely, have keys mailed up to me until I can go back in January and work on it.
Is there anything else I need to consider and work on in the mean time ?
It is the first time I have done this in another state, but I do have 3 rental properties with 7 units in total up here in MA, so not a total novice !!!
Cheers all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 11:50 AM

910 posts, read 2,219,282 times
Even though it is a fixer-upper, I assume you will still have it inspected before closing on it ?

Old 12-03-2013, 04:55 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Inspection big time! Termite inspection too since I would think it's frame unless its a cbs condo. Make sure the water and electric are turned on for inspection.

change the locks.....and make sure there are no leaks in the house BEFORE you turn the water on after closing on because they will NOT turn it on at all of they see the slightest move of the dial.

good luck!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Inspection big time! Termite inspection too [boldface added] since I would think it's frame unless its a cbs condo. Make sure the water and electric are turned on for inspection.

change the locks.....and make sure there are no leaks in the house BEFORE you turn the water on after closing on because they will NOT turn it on at all of they see the slightest move of the dial.

good luck!
Just curious, how prevalent do you find termite problems to be with wood frame houses? I strongly agree with you about the need for the inspection (I personally would have one done if I were buying either a wood frame or a concrete block home) but am just curious whether it's a frequent thing that deals fall through because of termite issues.

I've heard different viewpoints about looking at wood frame homes--everything from that they're worth looking at as long as you do your due diligence, because it's all in how the home has--or hasn't--been maintained, to, at the other end of the spectrum, just avoid them in Florida.

OP, if you do wind up purchasing this home, I'd be very interested in reading about your experience with getting it into shape if you decide to post the details (how much time and work it took, whether it was pretty straightforward or you run into issues). And I hope everything turns out well for you.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 AM

Wood frame houses are very prone to termites - especially in Florida. They aren't always easy to see since there are also termites that are under ground--subterranean. I see loads of wood rot. I see termite damage- behind walls where it's been torn down to expose the damage. I've seen inspectors go around tapping walls to see if they hear something different.

I have not personally had a client go forward and close on a house that has termites. I don't think you can tell how much damage is actually done till you start tearing apart the areas you can see.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
Wood frame houses are very prone to termites - especially in Florida. They aren't always easy to see since there are also termites that are under ground--subterranean. I see loads of wood rot. I see termite damage- behind walls where it's been torn down to expose the damage. I've seen inspectors go around tapping walls to see if they hear something different.

I have not personally had a client go forward and close on a house that has termites. I don't think you can tell how much damage is actually done till you start tearing apart the areas you can see.
Thanks for the info, FlaLadyB.

With the way prices have increased so much in the last year or so (and given concerns I have about the condo form of ownership), I've thought about whether I need to consider the few single-family homes that are still in my price range (that are usually wood frame and, if concrete block, are foreclosures that may have mold problems etc. due to having no AC for years). And what you mentioned is my biggest concern--that even though I'd have an inspection, what could possibly be going on inside the walls that the inspector can't see.

I guess for me, even though to get into a place at the low price point, the possible rewards are great, at the same time the level of risk is too high for me, as an individual buying my only home, to take on. Possibly if I were an investor buying multiple properties my judgment would be different.

Again, I wish the OP good luck either way.

A thought that comes to mind is since the OP is from out-of-area, it may be useful to read some other threads on the various Florida forums concerning flood risk/insurance issues, general homeowner's insurance considerations, and defective drywall issues (which my understanding is can sometimes be issues for some older homes that had remodeling where drywall was replaced, or drywall repairs following hurricane damage). I'm sure there are other considerations, too, that aren't coming to mind at the moment but where reading the various Florida City-Data threads could be very informative and helpful.

Last edited by City__Datarer; 12-04-2013 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 04:33 PM

459 posts, read 619,958 times
I did my own inspection and thought it worth the risk. I did not see anything I cannot handle.
However, the paperwork has come through with a clean termite inspection report, so that adds to my piece of mind.

Yes, out of state is going to present a whole new set of challenges, but I am ready for them.
Buying 2 and 3 familys up here in MA is tough work, they are all much older, always have lead paint issues, electrical, plumbing, heating etc always need work. Plaster is falling off, windows falling out, rot, damp and mice !!!!
Plus I HATE winter, so a few weeks down south on a relatively modern project is just what I need lol

I will document my progress if you like.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:11 PM

403 posts, read 1,079,784 times
I'd definitely be interested in hearing about this story. Keep is posted.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
I did my own inspection and thought it worth the risk. I did not see anything I cannot handle.
However, the paperwork has come through with a clean termite inspection report, so that adds to my piece of mind.

Yes, out of state is going to present a whole new set of challenges, but I am ready for them.
Buying 2 and 3 familys up here in MA is tough work, they are all much older, always have lead paint issues, electrical, plumbing, heating etc always need work. Plaster is falling off, windows falling out, rot, damp and mice !!!!
Plus I HATE winter, so a few weeks down south on a relatively modern project is just what I need lol

I will document my progress if you like.
Thanks, will be interested in how it goes (though again, for me probably too risky to take on this type of project, but for you, sounds like you have the experience to handle pretty much anything!).

And the weather is beautiful here in winter. Probably after you spend time here this winter, you'll want to come back every year. (Massachusetts is a great place to be in the summer though.) Good luck.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM

Any home that has been "fixed"....from Chinese drywall MUST disclose this when selling ---- that is, unless you are buying directly from a homeowner who does not want you to now anything.

ME...personally....>>>> I WILL NOT sell a house that has been "fixed" from having Chinese drywall no matter WHAT they say they did or what "proof" they have that they took it down to the concrete block. I'm sorry, I just can't see myself putting a family in any house that has had it in any way.

As for inspectors... you can 1. smell Chinese drywall when you walk in if you know what you are smelling. 2. if you check the a/c copper lines and they are BLACK..... forget it... Chinese drywall fumes eat copper. 3. IF you cant tell.. open a light switch and pull out the wires...copper and.. if THEY are black.. forget it! 4. they pull open the FUSE BOX , which is all copper wire. Chinese drywall eats copper, computers, a/c systems, YOUR LUNGS, etc. I am not taking ANY chances with anyones life or health over this nor should you!

I remember when we didn't really know what Chinese drywall was.. or what it did. I smelled it.. or rather ...tasted it, kind of a "just struck a match" smell. Washing everything didn't help, a/c didn't help, everyone was sick with flu like symptoms, especially children. One of my clients has cancer, and I begged her to get out of where she was. Even her dog was having convulsions!

NO.... I don't take Chinese drywall lightly like some people. It's a seriously bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach