Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:12 AM

138 posts, read 244,082 times

Advertisements

Several nice little pockets of no hoa communities just off Becker road between the turnpike and 95 in the south end of PSL you might want to check out. What attracted us was its close to both highways and a very noticeable presence of officers living in this area (parked squads on just about every block in my neighborhood at all times). Nice mix of older and newer homes priced all over.

Good luck ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 05:26 PM

16 posts, read 32,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Thanks for the neighborhood you suggested, SeaLark7. I checked it out but haven't yet found anything that called to me.

I have found a couple nice places in the Country Club part of Vero that look really nice. Any other Vero neighborhood like this?

I am starting to get a little less attracted to Vero after looking at the crime map overlay that Trulia has. Vero certainly looks mostly safe, but there are a few pockets that look pretty bad.

I'll start Zillow-ing around Palm City and see what I come up with. Sebastian is also looking nice, and maybe a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestion, and it makes sense, but not for us, I think. I think you're right it might rent more easily. I do like the idea of a single house, though, mainly to avoid HOA fees, but also for the extra privacy and yard.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming!

David

I was going to recommend the Country Club area of Vero when I read the original post... That's the neighborhood I'm in and love it! Nothing really in the 100k range though, but could find something at the upper end of your budget.

Vero is certainly a nice town, and yes it does have its pockets of bad areas... They do seem to stay contained though to the certain areas, and I think a lot of it is domestic. I've never once felt unsafe in my neighborhood being out and about on a walk, etc.

I don't know if you'll find a similar neighborhood in Vero that is that close to beach, mature trees, sidewalks, bikepaths, shops, etc. Central Beach, but that's $$$$$. Maybe also take a look at McAnsh Park?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Thanks for the neighborhood you suggested, SeaLark7. I checked it out but haven't yet found anything that called to me.

I have found a couple nice places in the Country Club part of Vero that look really nice. Any other Vero neighborhood like this?

I am starting to get a little less attracted to Vero after looking at the crime map overlay that Trulia has. Vero certainly looks mostly safe, but there are a few pockets that look pretty bad.

I'll start Zillow-ing around Palm City and see what I come up with. Sebastian is also looking nice, and maybe a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestion, and it makes sense, but not for us, I think. I think you're right it might rent more easily. I do like the idea of a single house, though, mainly to avoid HOA fees, but also for the extra privacy and yard.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming!

David
The MSA area is SMALL and the city REALLY small. You can drive the entire Vero Beach mainland area from South to North (Grand Harbor) in 15 -20 minutes.

So when you see statistics for "Vero Beach" they are usually not EVEN Vero Beach but the MSA which includes "pockets" of "crime". VB is the county seat. That is why the sex offender stats are so alarming on City Data because the algorithm is wrong. They are including ALL sex offenders for the MSA (practically) against the very small population of 15K for Vero Beach city PROPER instead of doing the calc against the population of the MSA. The entire area has a low population density.

Actual Vero Beach:

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...h-Florida.html

I'm a dog walker/pet sitter and never have any type of "crime" problem anywhere. I don't know what you're looking at exactly, but there is NO crime problem here. Even in the developments in Gifford where people say "stay away from Gifford" but that's not true, there are only a few streets there that are sketchy and in Vero Beach sketchy is very nice compared to other sketchy areas in other parts of FL or other states. The public housing in Gifford doesn't even look like public housing. Gifford has some really nice subdivisions like Waterway Village - no it's not what you're looking for...I'm just using it as an example. Baseball players used to rent there and other subdivisions when they came here for spring training.

The "underprivileged people" in Gifford look just like other normal people not like a bunch of thugs like in other cities like Ft Lauderdale or West Palm Beach. Yes, they've had incidents and you wouldn't want to live in the heart of the sketchiness...but I drive through there 2x a day Mon - Fri and interact with everyone in gas stations and stores and the people are very NICE.

OK first, ALL OVER FLORIDA you can drive down a really great street and find a house not so great with deferred maintenance and vice versa. It's just how it is here after the crash. So the internet is only an example of pricing etc. You can't see the full neighborhoods (unless it's an HOA). It's possible you see a really great street then get to the end and the next street is a mess. Especially in the older areas you like, like Country Club. It borders some smaller house streets that are old, cheaper and showing their age or have some people with crap outside. Nothing wrong with them, there's a price point for everyone...just saying.

What you're describing is an HOA WITHOUT THE DUES.

Also, heavily wooded is not a thing in tropical-ish climates. So Vero is an anomaly in that respect that it offers it at all - like some areas further down in So Florida, too. it's not all that common.

You're not going to avoid "malls" or shopping centers. Even the Walmart is in the mall area. Unless you don't go anywhere.

You can't get the feeling on the internet, you have to come here and drive up and down every main street and side street. Thinking something is going to "call to you" on the internet is just going to be a let down because what often looks good, isn't and vice versa. I relocated from another state and I guarantee you that. In fact, BUYING before actually living here or at least coming here ALOT and doing the research is not a good idea in FL because what you think you "like" might change in a year after getting here. I had PLENTY of houses "call to me" and go there and saw mattresses on the neighbor's front porches. IN GOOD NEIGHBORHOODS like Coral Ridge in Ft Lauderdale.

There are good neighborhoods meeting your criteria. The area Sealark mentioned has a ton of streets going East/West that meet your description. 5th, 8th, 12th etc. It all depends on the type of house you like though and if you want something new or old because the newer construction is alot of HOA. Depending on what you consider new. Many HOAs are very BASIC because there's no clubhouse or pool, like Legend Lakes (although I'm not sure of the fee - t may be about $75 per month). All the way up to 53rd off 58th ish and 66th where when you get past the mall it turns very rural feeling and open. But even just behind the mall is very nice. (but a couple blocks down 60W across the street from the Walmart it's NOT as "nice" with a couple beat up streets. that's what I'm talking about).

When you get to 53rd the lack of congestion is awesome and even the Publix is almost empty at all times but the neighborhoods are NOT the ones with the old trees since they're all relatively new.

You realize that Vero Beach city and MSA even Gifford...has a LOW to average crime rate and that even in cities with the higher crime rates people move there all the time and never have a problem. There is also NO comparison to these other cities IMO, with Vero having alot of wealth and regional theater, a gorgeous barrier island, access to the Pelican Island type of wildlife stuff, etc. Vero Beach is the only city on the Intracoastal where you can buy a mobile/prefab home directly on the water and have a million dollar view. There is something for everyone here unless you DO want the nightlife. But for housing? For sure.

You can even buy a condo at Vista Royale in the 25K range with golf the last time I looked (an HOA but probably cheap). Still have lots of real estate deals with prices sometimes at 1998 levels. For now.

Legend Lakes example 4BR:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/54...66742652_zpid/

Also, this "vibrant" thing? Vero is laid back not vibrant...like most of the towns/cities on the coast. So it's a personal vibe you have to rely on - your mileage may vary.

If you don't mind cooler winters, you might like Jacksonville. There are some GORGEOUS neighborhoods with the huge trees and alot of architectural diversity up there. And there's alot to do, too. If you like the outdoor life, beaches, theater, pro football, etc. They have good holiday things going on and since it's chilly in winter it feels more like the season than here. IE the XMAS boat parade down the St Johns River on Thanksgiving weekend.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-05-2014 at 09:38 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 05:45 PM

95 posts, read 155,125 times
Thanks for all the replies.

I agree with you, runswithscissors, that it is difficult to judge a place effectively without being there on the ground. Finding reliable and accurate crime information particularly seems to be a challenge. The best I've found so far is Trulia's crime graphic overlay that corresponds well with neighborhoods I am very familiar with in cities here up north.

Obviously my main concern is violent crime, which doesn't seem to be an issue in the Vero Beach area. But all those smaller crimes can really drag you down, too. Is someone going to steal your lawn mower because you forgot and left it out overnight? Is someone going to smash the window of your car to steal your sunglasses? Are the buildings covered in graffiti? Do the parks smell like urine? That sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

What you're describing is an HOA WITHOUT THE DUES.
Do you basically mean just the standards of upkeep and anti-junk rules? Where we live up north (in a big town outside a medium-size city) the town zoning takes care of that. For instance, it's against the law to have an unlicensed car parked in your driveway. That sort of thing. I'm finding that looking at different communities around the country that the role of local governments and HOAs sometime cross. I don't have any real issue with HOAs in that case, since in effect they are subject to the same voter input as are municipalities. I just don't want to pay dues for it.

Quote:

Also, heavily wooded is not a thing in tropical-ish climates. So Vero is an anomaly in that respect that it offers it at all - like some areas further down in So Florida, too. it's not all that common.
I notice that very quickly when I extend my search outside Vero Beach. For instance, that seems to be missing in Sebastian, which I am also starting to like. Sebastian seems a little more off the beaten path, and house prices seem a little better. And crime looks to be a non-issue. But the yards don't have those trees!

Quote:

You're not going to avoid "malls" or shopping centers. Even the Walmart is in the mall area. Unless you don't go anywhere.
Not trying to avoid them. Just have no use for 'em.

Quote:

You can't get the feeling on the internet, you have to come here and drive up and down every main street and side street. Thinking something is going to "call to you" on the internet is just going to be a let down because what often looks good, isn't and vice versa. I relocated from another state and I guarantee you that. In fact, BUYING before actually living here or at least coming here ALOT and doing the research is not a good idea in FL because what you think you "like" might change in a year after getting here. I had PLENTY of houses "call to me" and go there and saw mattresses on the neighbor's front porches. IN GOOD NEIGHBORHOODS like Coral Ridge in Ft Lauderdale.
Yes, excellent advice. We plan to come and explore in the next few weeks. I am just trying to narrow things down a little so I know where to start with real estate agents, etc.

Quote:

Also, this "vibrant" thing? Vero is laid back not vibrant...like most of the towns/cities on the coast. So it's a personal vibe you have to rely on - your mileage may vary.
Maybe "vibrant" isn't the right word. I don't mean vibrant like flashy and exciting, but more like friendly and upbeat and happy with life.

Quote:

If you don't mind cooler winters, you might like Jacksonville. There are some GORGEOUS neighborhoods with the huge trees and alot of architectural diversity up there.
I keep hearing good things about Jacksonville. I think I want to avoid a big city like that. But I'll keep it in mind.

I have also been poking around Ormond Beach a little on line, which looks like it may actually have affordable single-family beach area houses. I have a feeling we will end up in Vero/Sebastian, though.

Thanks for all the help, and keep ideas coming!

David

Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 AM

I don't have alot of time to respond to your post points because I'm leaving for work but Jacksonville is not a huge city in the sense you think. It's 850 sq miles but all SUBURBS except a small urban-ish part contiguous to downtown. A small part is not safe (desirable) and all the rest is. It's huge because they annexed the suburbs a few decades back. The downtown area is TINY and underpopulated and also underutilized for businesses. There is a alleged homeless and fake homeless (small time criminals) problem downtown but even so, I worked there for years without any real issues. Also, panhandling is illegal in Jax unlike So Fl where it's obnoxious. (even in Boca).

The area I'm specifically looking at for you in Jax nearest the downtown area is called Avondale (east not west 32205 - east of Roosevelt Blvd) just for starters. The rest of the "city" has tons and tons of neighborhoods and also the number two school district St Johns. Even if you don't care about schools, it's a measurement of stability. Number one is Ponte Vedra but probably out of your price range.

Top 10 FL public schools and school districts in Florida - NeighborhoodScout

I suggest when you come here, perhaps fly to Jax and work your way down the coast, IF you'll be spending over a week. Jax to Vero is about 4 hours by car.

Quote:
But all those smaller crimes can really drag you down, too. Is someone going to steal your lawn mower because you forgot and left it out overnight? Is someone going to smash the window of your car to steal your sunglasses? Are the buildings covered in graffiti? Do the parks smell like urine? That sort of thing.
No, we really don't have anything like that here; especially the urine parks LOL. Our little parks are tranquil and well maintained. And until you mentioned it I never thought about it but we have no graffiti LOL. You can see them on Google street view or images:

City Park's Information - City of Vero Beach*

There are also larger state parks like Pelican Island State Park.

As far as eyesores go, it's in the eye of the beholder. It's not unusual to see a "carport" erected in the drive way in some areas all over FL even in Vero. 4 poles with a white canvas roof. But there isn't anything like tons of unlicensed cars in driveways etc, even in the neighborhoods with alot of "vehicles" it's more like the side streets with big active families with boats, RVs and vehicles the kids play on. Mostly dead end secluded streets. I work on a street M-F with a TON of stuff in their back yard and the kids driving around the neighborhood in a commercial golf cart thing bare footed with the dog trailing. They don't bother anyone and it's kind of quaint TBH. But I live in an HOA LOL.

These streets are usually not paved and secluded and people move there for that freedom. They still take care of the house and yard and stuff, they just don't want neighbors complaining so like I said, there is something for everyone here. Even so, that sort of thing is rare.

You have to accept moving to FL that LOTS Of people do that for various reasons and it's going to attract a variety of people. Also FL was a remote swamp for centuries after the Northeast was established and dense, so it's a unique place. But mostly it's going to look like anywhere else, even though people complain ALL THE TIME about it. LOL

And yes, Sebastian may be your cup of tea. It's more of a village than a "city". It was my first choice until I actually got here and saw everything AND had problems working my way up from Ft Lauderdale in 2008 finding a decent realtor because they were all mad about the crash. So my realtor was from Vero and I chose it for the accessibility to more "stuff". AND rentals available - compared to Sebastian. You should ALWAYS rent for a year here first, IMO, unless, like I said, you spend LOTS of time and by lots I mean at least 5 or so visits at least a week each time and KNOW FOR SURE that you're not going to regret your choice.

I ALMOST moved to Reflections in Sebastian until by CHANCE I looked at 2 other buildings in the community that were a MESS with holes in the roofs where you could actually see CLOUDS from the LIVING ROOM CEILINGS and mold. One out of the three was "nice" and if I didn't see the other two I would have been stuck in that deteriorating situation. They had INDIVIDUAL HOA associations and only one was somewhat stable. ALSO the more RENTERS in a building/neighborhood the "worse" it is. This is a FACT that renters get mad hearing haha. I chose my community because it had a couple million in reserves and was impeccable. WITH a private 50 acre nature park on the Intracoastal.

P.S. FL is about to become the third most populated state. And with NY going the way it's going it's possible that a ton of NYers (more than even NOW) are going to move here and want to change the vibe. Vero used to have BLINKING yellow street lights all night long at night, not so much now anymore.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-09-2014 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-09-2014, 08:06 AM

OH, and if you want a pool, you do NOT want those trees or you have to get a birdcage screen over your patio and pool.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 18,380 times
We are in the beginning stages of looking into Vero and Sebastian. We currently live in south jersey and looking for a 2nd home. We were looking to spend about $150,000 for a single family house in a gated community but it seems that is not getting you into a nice area. We are nit condo living people. We have (2) golden retrievers and would like a nice size back yard with the "resort" feeling....any suggestions??

Old 01-26-2014, 11:06 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginabob4667 View Post
We are in the beginning stages of looking into Vero and Sebastian. We currently live in south jersey and looking for a 2nd home. We were looking to spend about $150,000 for a single family house in a gated community but it seems that is not getting you into a nice area. We are nit condo living people. We have (2) golden retrievers and would like a nice size back yard with the "resort" feeling....any suggestions??
Why do you want a gated community? Large yards, large dogs, and affordable are not something that comes to mind after the word "gated". You would probably do better in a traditional neighborhood at that price range. You'd have to create your own "resort" feeling. There are many, many things to consider when budgeting for a home in Florida. The taxes are low but the insurance is high. Being a "second" home,you won't qualify for the Homestead Tax Exemption. The location, age,construction, and improvements will affect your Insurance rates. If the house is older and not up to code, the rates can be alarming. There's year round lawn mowing, landscape maintenance, and exterminating. You'll most likely want a pool which is another year round expense. It's doable, but you'll have to do a lot of research. Did I mention water and sewer rates, irrigation, wells, and septic systems? Do some homework, ask here about homes or neighborhoods you find, and then visit to see if it's what you want.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginabob4667 View Post
With the two large dogs in gated there's no problem. I am a dog walker/pet sitter and MOST of my clients are in gated with two dogs and large ones.

The problem is the price. You see that yourself.

There are only a couple that I know of in that range. I don't know them all so it's going to take some looking and you finding a good realtor. GATED COMMUNITIES require larger HOA fees and sales prices to pay for those amenities. Some have pools and clubhouses and some don't. Legend Lakes for example, (not in your price range) only has a basketball court and the gates. So the HOA is going to be lower.

If by resort feeling you mean the lakes out back, yeah some have that but not many of the ones that I know of for 150K. This one does...

I work here, too and you wouldn't like the yards and no fences but the price is right and it's gated. Also it's not my favorite neighborhood but ...nothing ever happens there. It's just on the SOUTH of Oslo Rd and that's not as good as the NORTH of Oslo.

See how close the houses are to the lakes in the back? But it's nice and has a pool. For that price. $130K AND LAWN CARE IS INCLUDED.

2505 12TH SQ SW , Vero Beach FL 32968, MLS # 139708, Weichert.com

3 Bedroom Home for Sale in Vero Beach FL 32968, MLS # 143392, Weichert.com

You're going perhaps to have NOT gated or a smaller yard and if you want a fence not all of them allow it in an HOA.

There are a zillion NICE communities without the gate. But they feel like the gated ones once you get in there.

This one meets your criteria... but the builder just started up again after it was dormant a couple years so I don't know the status or what the prices are going to do:

I actually don't remember if the actual GATE is up or not here, yet LOL. I work in the development next door, with a gate but it's in the 200's now.

New Homes for Sale Vero Beach FL 32962 | Single Family Homes for Sale Vero Beach FL 32962 | Lexington Place | Maronda Homes

All the comps - scroll down the bottom:

1255 Lexington Lane Southwest, Vero Beach FL - Trulia

http://www.trulia.com/property/30986...-32962#photo-1

OR this Sedona Palms, but I don't know anything about the HOA: FENCE!!!

http://www.trulia.com/homes/Florida/...32960#photo-21

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-26-2014 at 07:18 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Here are some interesting board meeting notes posted publicly from one of the HOAs that was/is in your range.

I work right behind this community in a non gated - every day M-F.

I would not think of alot of problems here.

However they cite ALOT of issues over the months. Liens, homeowners not abiding the rules, trespassers and now need to give PASSES out to make sure nobody's trespassing, and also being short on funds to fix gates, being in violation of landscaping in the past. Stuff like that.

You do NOT want to move into an HOA without ALOT OF RESERVES! My HOA has never ever had even ONE of these problems or anything AT ALL in the 5 years I've lived here. And lots of reserves. So beware

Carriage Lake at Vero Beach

I actually only saw this from clicking on a couple sales from my former realtor's site since she normally only handles good properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach