Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 PM

228 posts, read 362,769 times

Advertisements

My 8th grader just informed me that their field trip was going to Islands of Adventure and was going to cost us 140.00! My 5 th grader is going to the Palm Beach Zoo and it will cost him 37.00. This is a shock, having come from Palm Beach County where no one was excluded if you couldn't afford to pay, you could even pay what you could afford and still be able to go. Lol, I can't even afford to go on these trips as a chapperone.

Anyone want to warn me about high school "fees" up here?

Barbara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,259 times
Ridiculous

Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM

3,979 posts, read 8,189,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy4 View Post
My 8th grader just informed me that their field trip was going to Islands of Adventure and was going to cost us 140.00! My 5 th grader is going to the Palm Beach Zoo and it will cost him 37.00. This is a shock, having come from Palm Beach County where no one was excluded if you couldn't afford to pay, you could even pay what you could afford and still be able to go. Lol, I can't even afford to go on these trips as a chapperone.

Anyone want to warn me about high school "fees" up here?

Barbara
Are they spending the night? My kids always went to the parks for field trips, but the discounted tickets were never that much. SW used to be $4. Disney Parks were discounted some, and so was Universal.....maybe cost $35 for Universal in a school bus. If we used an air conditioned charter bus then we charged an additional $10 or $15. We either brought lunches or the parks had us eat at a certain cs for meals they selected for the kids at a set (cheaper than a burger price)
Disney usually gave them macaroni, fruit, and milk. We asked that they all bring at least $10 for a snack or souvenir if they wanted one.
I would be talking to the teacher to see why the price is so high. If you really can't afford it, ask if there is help. If there is time maybe see if teachers can set up a fund raiser or car wash so all kids can go cheaper. We used to make a lot of money with donations from car washes-and many just put money in the pot for a good cause and we didn't even have to touch their cars.

As for chaperons, they usually got in free. With every group of 20 or 25 the parks usually threw in 1 or 2 tickets in addition to the teachers for chaperons depending on age of kids in group. For younger kids when you wanted just 4 or 5 in a group for each chaperon the PTO chipped in for those chaperon tickets.

We had kids who PTO, teachers, and some us substitute teachers/parent volunteers would chip in for out of our own pockets to make the trip possible. If it was a Saturday field trip for the school at the end of the year just for fun, then not all kids went.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:12 PM

228 posts, read 362,769 times
They are chartering a bus, chaperones/parents pay their own way, this trip is not an overnight.

Down in palm beach county the schools have a disclaimer written on the permission slip that they can't force you to pay and you can still go. Although the disclaimer is not actually on the field trip permission slip up here, it is used, but the school doesn't like to "advertise" it. I don't know much about the PTO as they don't seem to do much as far as meetings and such.

Barbara

Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,800,904 times
Take him out for the day, and enjoy a lunch together at his/her favorite restaurant. I'm sure the day at home will be just as enjoyable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach