Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,104 times

Advertisements

Just my opinion but Publix is friendlier and way more coupon friendly . They also take competitors coupons ( like the 5/30 Winn Dixie coupons ) and you can use two manufactures coupons AND two Publix or competitors coupons for each BOGO .... And they are actually nice and helpful there ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I do see what the original poster was getting at. I think the coffee grinder situation was simply an example, not the entirety of their issue.

I moved here about two years ago from South Georgia (Savannah), where we had many, many options in supermarkets. Kroger alone had probably five or six locations in the area, and Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, BI-LO (which ultimately bought out several P-W's), Save-a-Lot, and Publix had multiple locations. The Fresh Market has a location there, and since my departure a Whole Foods also opened. When I moved here I had a brief bout of sticker shock when buying groceries, and many people told me it has to do with the lack of competition. I'm not well-versed in all the variables involved, but I do know that the competition in the Savannah supermarkets made it possible to get a lot more deals and a lot of the staples were always lower-priced.

Now before I become one of those "We did it different where I came from" people, let me add that the 500-pound gorilla in the room, Wal-Mart, is puttin' a hurtin' on supermarket chains in every area, so many chains are trying to hold their own rather than aggressively expanding. Any major chain looking to move here may not want the double-teaming of Wal-Mart and Publix. Personally I prefer Winn-Dixie, but I would love to have at least a fourth option beyond those three.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:32 AM

910 posts, read 2,219,282 times
I love Publix for its customer service, but I agree with SeetheUSA, Walmart is so much cheaper. If "atmosphere" is more important than money to you, then shop Publix. We do shop some of their sales but even the BOGO items are much cheaper at WalMart now.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 AM

194 posts, read 427,915 times
I also get the original posters point which was not about the grinder. No one disputes the friendly customer service of a Publix but the lack of competition has caused the chain to show indifference by way of across the board high prices, doing things like NOT putting in a coffee grinder in when the vendor removes there's. The Treasure Coast in general has zero options except for Wal-Mart. Go south to places like Costco etc and you get a feel for how badly overpriced Publix has become in the past few years. As a result,chains Trader Joes will be only the first. Even Whole Foods is expanding throughout PBC. Over the past few years we have gone from buying 80% of our food at Publix to now buying 80% elsewhere. Good service it has but not at a price I am willing to pay for anymore.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:26 AM

I get the points about cost , I too was surprised at the food costs when we moved here from Upstate NY. I was pointing out that using 4 coupons ( 2 manufactures and 2 Publix or competitors ) and then buying at least 30.00 ( before coupons ) and using the 5/30 Winn Dixie coupons sometimes/often makes the price cheaper than using Walmart's match of BOGO ....the " atmosphere " at Publix is just a bonus ..

Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 AM

76 posts, read 133,480 times
I just moved to Florida a few months ago and I'm HORRIFIED at how much I spend on groceries. First of all, I currently live in a sort of remote area - it takes me at least 15 - 20 minutes to get to major shopping areas, but I do have a Publix I can walk to. So I've found myself shopping there for 90% of items I need, including pet & baby stuff which I normally never buy at a grocery store. I have spent almost $1,000 YES that much - in January at Publix. I'm horrified. At the most I'd spend about $600 on groceries when I lived in MA. Granted much of that cost is additional things I don't normally purchase (like the baby and pet stuff). But still!! I am shocked. Publix doesn't double coupons which is where a lot of my savings used to come from, and I find the product selection to be less.

Looking to try and save as much as I can! Hoping when we move up to PSL it gets better because shopping seems more convenient with more stores close by.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 AM

Try this to save at Publix ....iheart publix.com

Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 AM

910 posts, read 2,219,282 times
Publix does offer coupon savings but it is labor-intensive. It is so much easier to get the cheaper prices at WalMart without the hassle of having to find coupons (which usually only brings the Publix price down to what WalMart charges as a regular price). Oh, and I do miss double coupons ! We used to shop at Meijer in Ohio and doubling the coupons made a big difference. Staples like milk and eggs are a lot more expensive here too - even at WalMart. Worth every penny to live in paradise ! But I still tend to shop where I get the best overall prices.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 AM

361 posts, read 750,055 times
We buy our meats at Winn Dixie, Vegetables at Nelson Family Farms, and everything else at Walmart using BOGO+price matching.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:38 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
Odd thing about Publix in Savannah, though, was that it often had the highest prices even with all that competition around them (I mean literally around them, like across-the-street and next door). I knew it was bad when I stopped buying produce at the Twelve Oaks Publix because the produce at The Fresh Market across the street had better prices overall (with quality about the same).

Here's an idea: if Publix bills itself as being so much more customer service-oriented, why not write their website a letter (or a hundred) asking them to install a coffee grinder on their own dime? One would assume the dime would be replaced by all those purchases of their overpriced coffee...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach