Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 AM

76 posts, read 133,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattinPGH View Post
Thanks all for the feedback.

I see a lot of homes in Vero Beach but I am concerned about schools. My reference for schools is basically Zillow. I look at schools in PGH I know vs Schools in FL and essentially if Zillow scores it a 7+ I know I am ok. The Vero Beach ones all seem to be 4, 5 and 6. am I missing something? because outside schools the area looks great and its affordable for what I am looking for? any feedback is appreciated. thanks.

Matt
Try the website GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for more info, but take the reviews with a grain of salt. I sent my son to a daycare in West Palm that got great reviews and it was awful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:57 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,797,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
Yes but you live by Tradition not at tradition ??I know when we looked at houses everyone said you could get to the beach from tradition in 30 minutes. I drove it many times and it took longer than that considering traffic. I kept thinking I was missing a shortcut or going to a different beach . I was wondering which beach was being talked about that you could actually get to from tradition in 30 minutes ? And if you can I really want to know cause I have a few friends interested in buying in Tradition and they read on line or in ads that Tradition is "30 minutes from the beach " and I can't figure out how ...

Take I-95 south to Martin Hwy. Turn Lt and take it over the bridge and go into Stuart. The road turns into Monterrey- take that across US1 until you come to the end of the road and it intersects with Ocean Blvd. Turn rt and take it over both bridges. Continue to the Elliott Museum and turn rt at the light. Stuart Beach is there.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,761 times
Yep from Traditon square ( and many homes are further away from the beach than the square) to stuart beach , 34 minutes according to Google maps ... So from most places in Tradition the beach is closer to 40 minutes or more away from the beach wouldn't you say ?

Old 02-17-2014, 12:17 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,000,742 times
You'll find the elementary schools in Palm City to be highly rated. There are numerous communities with larger lots in your price range, and the fishing and outdoor activities are very good. Palm City is very family oriented.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:14 PM

162 posts, read 311,305 times
We live right near 95 and have been to Jensen a couple of times. Of course not on a weekend and after traffic hour. I would say it took 30-35 minutes to get to the beach. Being from Pittsburgh where it was a minimum 7 hours to the beach, 5 or 10 minutes doesn't matter in the scheme of things!

Old 02-18-2014, 02:51 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,761 times
Photoflo I agree it doesn't matter , what I was getting at is realtors and ads for the Tradition area almost always state , 30 minutes to the beaches " and that's just not realistic IMO . As stated earlier I have friends that are looking at buying and moving here and they all want " close" to the beach and they are told that Tradition( which is beautiful to live in ) is just 30 minutes to the beach. When I point out to them that's it's way longer than that some get argumentative , some are surprised that ads/realtors/ developers would not be truthful ..... That was my point

Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 PM

I agree Newred, trying to get to the beach during peak traffics times would be a challenge. I know there are other beaches to explore but I think they would even take a little longer, I guess we should venture out to see. Although we aren't "beach people", it is nice to have so many near us if we decide to go. As for developer ads and propaganda, well I guess that about explains it. Propaganda! Lol!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:09 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Besides Zillow, try Trulia:

School District Of Indian River County - Indian River County - Trulia

The OFFICIAL Florida state scoring system is alpha: A,B,C etc.

Schools are not my area of expertise but Beachland Elementary is a 9. 32963 and possibly other zips, I'm not sure. It's for the barrier island and part of the mainland. Ratings and Reviews for Beachland Elementary School in Vero Beach FL - Zillow School Information

So are others; these are some pages you want (I think magnet schools are lottery for entrance):

Florida high school grades: Nearly half of Florida high schools given an 'A' grade - Story

Indian River's Best Schools: Ratings, Reviews, and Grades - Zillow

You really need to research the school situation in FL because I heard the Board of Ed type person here on the radio talking about why some schools fell low, dropped from an A to a B or whatever... but I forget what she said. LOL. LOTS of crazy changes in scoring and measurements. So you can't even compare year over year.

Also there's some thing where schools got an automatic lower score for some new heavily weighted things like: "At-Risk Graduation Rate Penalty".

So the school actually would have had an A except for this at risk group or something. Also I think they changed the weight of the FCATs.

Lincoln Park earns A; penalties cost 4 high schools a letter grade in St. Lucie | Photo Gallery : TCPalm

You can read other posts I've made on this subforum about why Vero is so great. And some neighborhood info since I'm a pet sitter/dog walker, I go to them all. But for a young family, perhaps somewhere else IS a better match, I can't say.

For your budget you can actually afford THE BEACH (barrier island). You have to factor in hurricane protection, insurance etc. Some people don't want that aggravation. But it's gorgeous and VERY kid friendly.

For starters, we have an actual children's theater (and regular regional). Riverside Theatre

Moving to FL is VERY time consuming and requires ALOT of IN PERSON research. AND always rent first not buy unless you know EXACTLY what you want because after one year, what you think you wanted often changes.

I flew back and forth from Philly to FL for months before deciding and I actually had lived here off and on for years!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:17 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
Yes- I live by Tradition and it is a little less than 30 minutes to the beach. We do it all the time! I like Tradition, but you are on top of each other and "can hear the neighbors snoring". Just about every neighborhood I've seen has houses stacked on top of each other. If you can find the right lot, normally you can ease that by backing up to a preserve or other non-neighbor. We have 1 house next door, and the other side is a natural lot. Behind us is a canal, and the lots on the other side are clear as well. I consider us extremely fortunate!

Charter schools are an alternative to public schools. With public, teachers are given standards and can go years of sub-par results before getting fired. With charter schools, they are results driven and a teacher that doesn't get their school good results will be gone. IMO, it's a better system and my kids love it. Charter Schools USA is in Tradition and St Lucie West.
Hi, we just returned from a trip to PSL and the Tradition area, we like it there but was really disappointed when we learned about the $275 monthly HOA plus that CDD which the sales office at Town Park said would be an additional $800 per year, billed through property taxes, and is subject to change with the assessment of your home? I realize the HOA cover basic cable,internet, security monitoring, etc. but also heard that the cable portion cust serv. is horrible, what is your opinion of the HOA value for the money? And what about that CDD ? Thank you in advance !
P.S.
We lived in Broward County for almost 30 yrs. before we decided to leave Florida in '07 and are currently living in NC, but not enjoying the cold as I thought I had missed since growing up in NYC ! They say the 3rd time is a charm ???

Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 PM

Default TownPark and CDD

We live in TownPark and this is our first experience with both an HOA and CDD. The CDD assessment is $852 a year for the remaining years on a 30 year bond when you purchase a house. Since Minto purchased the land in 2005, most of the homes here would have 21 years left to pay. As far as I know, it does not fluctuate with property assessments. Although Hometown Cable is not the best, we don't watch too much tv and the internet is sufficient for our needs so we have no complaints about the HOA fees and what they include. We enjoy the fact that we are close enough to walk to town and the shopping center with Target, etc, which is great when there are festivities. We can bike or walk throughout the Tradition area as well. We are originally from Pittsburgh and our taxes here are comparable to what we were paying there for a smaller house with nothing near the quality of life we have here being able to enjoy outdoor activities all year long. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach