Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times

Advertisements

I took some photos for you where I happened to be today

I work in a house IN BETWEEN these two. All renters. You can tell from the grass ...or lack of...LOL.

The neighborhood is what I'd call a laid back rural-ish feel but near the mall around 8th.

NOTE - I have nothing against people doing their thing. It's part of the freedom to own property. I just don't want to look at their crap 24/7. But they're all nice people. hahaha:

To the LEFT, boats and car on grass in the FRONT right by my clients front patio. He's got more boats and other junk in the yard but it's fenced. You can still see it though. OH and the house behind her has a family of TURKEYS gobbling they're cute. For a MINUTE. hahahaha

To the RIGHT, kids toys and sports stuff outside all the time, car on grass:

And I didn't take pics but across the street is a huge collection of vehicles. Boats, RV, golf carts. IT's an active family.

Then I drove down 4th past The Crossing. Nice neighborhood see? Large lots. Nice houses. No trash. Probably a TINY HOA fee if any.

Just when I got to the cul de sac on the beautiful wooded street I found these two dogs running back and forth barking their heads off behind an invisible fence. You can see them behind the trash can. No human in sight all doors closed.

To each his own. We have TONS of different types of neighborhoods plenty to suit all types of people happily.

Even loads of these types of properties set back off the road not close to neighbors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:57 PM

OH and in case you missed it on the other thread.

An out of state "looker" found this adorable house on the internet.

I went to see it. Cute, right?

This would be her view from that adorable front porch.

It's a shame because it's right two blocks from the Crossing. And the street before and after it are better. Just this one block has some beat up stuff on it.

This is in no way strictly representative of Vero Beach, I just happen to be on theses streets all the time.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:53 PM

HAHAHA the boat and SUV on the fence line now has a 3rd vehicle...a big ole flatbed! Hilarious.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 PM

95 posts, read 155,201 times
runswithscissors:

You are too much! At first I thought maybe you were a bit picky complaining about your neighbor who left their shoes outside. Uh oh. You might not like having me as a neighbor! We probably do worse that that.

But your photo documentary was superb! It is exactly the type of stuff I look for. The first couple pictures- the cars and boat in the front yard are a bit gross. Would probably make me think twice. The kids' toys are a little sloppy. But the barking dogs? Deal breaker. The cute blue house with the good-old-boys-from-Slingblade compound across the street? Deal breaker. Does an HOA typically have more clout against, say, barking dogs, than just calling the cops?

I may be starting to see the light. If a HOA is just a little neighborhood governing body that has some modest zoning rules, I guess that's not bad.

I have been relying on Google Street view to give me a glance around at the neighbors. I need to look around in person, though. If I get a little caught up with work I want to get down there and see the neighborhoods for myself.

David

Old 03-04-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
runswithscissors:

You are too much! At first I thought maybe you were a bit picky complaining about your neighbor who left their shoes outside. Uh oh. You might not like having me as a neighbor! We probably do worse that that.

But your photo documentary was superb! It is exactly the type of stuff I look for. The first couple pictures- the cars and boat in the front yard are a bit gross. Would probably make me think twice. The kids' toys are a little sloppy. But the barking dogs? Deal breaker. The cute blue house with the good-old-boys-from-Slingblade compound across the street? Deal breaker. Does an HOA typically have more clout against, say, barking dogs, than just calling the cops?

I may be starting to see the light. If a HOA is just a little neighborhood governing body that has some modest zoning rules, I guess that's not bad.

I have been relying on Google Street view to give me a glance around at the neighbors. I need to look around in person, though. If I get a little caught up with work I want to get down there and see the neighborhoods for myself.

David
Glad you enjoyed it!

HA you're right. The neighbor's TENANT didn't "leave his shoes outside" but KEPT them outside for weeks. 6 feet from my front door. Dude.

Where do you draw the line? Ok to hang towels? How about putting trash out there until you "get around to" going down to the dumpster? What about camping out on a couple lawn chairs for hours and smoking?

But our HOA is pretty relaxed about people's atriums. If each of the 3 homeowners who use each atrium can agree, they can do whatever they want except for store things there and create hazards. And of course NO WET TOWELS hanging etc. But some have furniture and some are empty. Ours is empty.

Some neighborhoods look like an HOA but aren't. They just appear that way because they have a "name" on a sign. Maybe a couple little walls. The people just get together when say, the sign is beat up and replace it or whatever. My mother's was that way.

Then you have varying degrees thereafter.

Of course there are hundreds of just streets and roads without any associations.

The clout of the HOA is directly relational to how seriously the community takes it and participates. If they have a fine process in place, then yes they have recourse. When I worked in a luxury 39 floor high rise in Jacksonville, the management had NO QUALMS fining a resident who broke the rules such as not leashing their dogs. NORMALLY the rule breakers were renters. Shocking. But the fine is lodged against the homeowner not the renter.

You ABSOLUTELY need to have "rules" with densely populated spaces. I saw idiots pull all types of nonsense in that high rise. Renters. Like bring their kid's ENTIRE SWIM TEAM to the pool and fill it up so no HOMEOWNERS could use it. Or decide on their OWN to "conduct" yoga classes in the gym including people who didn't even LIVE THERE and think it was their prerogative to use the entire SPACE so nobody else could. WHAT THE?????

New developments' HOAS' are managed by the builder until there's a certain percent resident homeowners like, 80% or something then they turn it over to the residents. So the basic bylaws are in effect then and the homeowners on the board(s) and residents take it from there and make what changes they want.

People think HOAs are just a bunch of busybodies LOL. Uh, no. We have ALOT going on in some areas/not so much in others.

One could make a case that many of these things need to be taken care of even in a single home without a development or HOA.

Mine is $350 for: Gates and 24 hr guards plus the security involved and remotes to get in, landscaping, ALOT of LIGHTING, little bridges/moats, benches and lakes, Wild hogs running around management LOL, drainage engineering issues, paint/maintenance of each building let alone the 2 clubhouses, carpet in the atriums, road safety, boat dock management, Intracoastal observation deck/dock picnic area management, carport for the condos, 50 acre Nature Center, two pools, tennis, gym, library, pool table room, and the list goes ON. Includes cable tv, trash, water, sewer and everything from the drywall studs OUT. I pay electric and phone. MY building was almost destroyed in 2004 so it's completely NEW except for the actual structure and outside stairs and windows survived. The development was built in the late 80s but all the roofs were replace to Miami Dade code standards in 04/05.

OUR HOAs pay a full time property manager and an admin assistant in the office on site to manage the day to day because our community is rather large and busy. Our landscaping alone is enormous. We have single homes, attached "villas" and condos. I want to say 40 singles in a total population of about 250 residences. But a place like Grand Harbor is GINORMOUS compared to my little community. Several MILES large.

You need to KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING to operate an HOA, legally. I.E. a committee relieves the HOA of legal liability but a "CLUB" with "officers" does not. BYOB to a function relieves liability of the HOA but serving booze does NOT.

We used to have the ADMIN do the orientation and interview of new people. Now a committee of residents does it and it saves money and is more effective. It's not a huge deal but you do get screened probably for sex offender status...I think...then they just go over the bylaws with you BEFORE YOU PURCHASE so there are NO misunderstandings. They EFT the dues or you can mail them in. They'll keep a key for emergencies and contact you if there is a problem if you're a snow bird. I don't think they do proactive interior "checks" unless a leak or something happens... but there are other people for that.

Road safety is very important. Dog walkers, bike riders, joggers all use our roads and with NEW PEOPLE buying into our HOA since the crash...and renters...they need to be REMINDED about the SPEED LIMIT. It's 20 MPH not 5 and not 40!

We do not have sidewalks. And there's a Safety Committee. The asphalt in front of my walkway separated from the grass/sidewalk creating a gap where you easily turned your ankle walking there and they came out the day AFTER I called and fixed it.

We have other volunteer things - like keep our 50 acre Nature Trail on the intracoastal waterway nice, people enjoy it and it saves paying for outsiders to do it. It's very cute, and a group created a "butterfly park thing in there, too...But it still needs OFFICIAL oversight.

One of my clients' HOA fees are $75.00 every three months. They don't have alot going on in there. When the guy across the street's tenants moved and parts of his fence fell down, the neighbors fixed it. In OTHER neighborhoods, it could rot there LOL.

So anyway, it's not for everyone but there's some type of home in Vero for everyone. I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE not having to worry for a MINUTE about anything but the INTERIOR of my condo.

I also LOVE FREEDOM knowing that I COULD have a big old hunk of land and do WHATEVER I WANTED (pretty much). Or even a small one. But I no longer care about that since my kid is an adult. I DO miss not having a garden, but if I lived on the first floor I could probably plant some things right outside my door or at least have containers.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-04-2014 at 12:05 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 06:59 PM

53 posts, read 66,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
FlaLadyB is a realtor that can help you out if you're interested. She is very knowledgeable in the housing market here. Message her and she would be more than happy to assist I'm sure!

Good luck!
Hi how do I message FlaladyB? Im new to this forum and don't know how to do it. Thanks

Old 03-26-2014, 07:06 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,205,704 times
I will mesage you

Old 10-02-2014, 07:15 AM

95 posts, read 155,201 times
Well, here's an update to my original post from many months ago.

We finally ended up buying a nice house in Sebastian. Used an excellent realtor who was very sharp with great suggestions and insight.

He steered me away from searching for a house that would be our dream house, to one that would be rentable and profitable. His point was that in 10-20 years, if we move here, this may not be the house we end up in, so why worry about all the little details? The nice thing is, is that at least now, this house is definitely something we would be happy living in. Maybe the neighborhood will change. Who knows?

He is also our property manager, and we have a tenant moving in who sounds great.

So thanks for all the help here (especially you, runswithscissors) and we'll see you around town!

David

Old 10-02-2014, 08:15 PM

Fantastic! Congrats!

Yep see you around town!

Old 03-17-2015, 02:17 PM

28 posts, read 35,689 times
We bought two rental properties at Tropic Villas North in Vero Beach. One at the top of the market $150K and one a foreclosure a few years later for $55K.
They are identical 2/2.5 Townhomes. One is rented for $775, the other is $800. They have both been rented continuously.We are planning on selling the one renting for $800 now that we're retiring. The tenant who has been there for two years wants to sign for another year. Nice, upgraded unit with new cabinets, granite counter tops, etc. If you know anyone interested let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach