Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 19,057 times

Advertisements

When I bought my home currently in Denver my builder did not disclose that we were within ear shot of the train horns. The horns go off so frequently after midnight that during the summer when our windows are opened they tend to wake us up. My question is...is there train noise in Sebastian? We haven't looked there in person yet but we are interested in Sebastian Crossings and South Lakes communities. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:17 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie&Glenn View Post
When I bought my home currently in Denver my builder did not disclose that we were within ear shot of the train horns. The horns go off so frequently after midnight that during the summer when our windows are opened they tend to wake us up. My question is...is there train noise in Sebastian? We haven't looked there in person yet but we are interested in Sebastian Crossings and South Lakes communities. Thanks.
I can't speak for Sebastian but I live in ear shot of the train in Vero but I don't hear horns. Initially I thought it would bother me but it doesn't.

That train goes all the way down the coast of FL from Jacksonville, and you can hear it EVERYWHERE depending where you live in proximity to Rt 1 which also means near the Intracoastal waterway...some towns it's closer than others. My condo is sandwiched directly between Rt 1 AND the Intracoastal Waterway and the train is walking distance more or less.

Also there is some expansion threatened on that rail line which is currently FREIGHT, to start passenger service from Miami to Orlando (but not stopping in the Treasure Coast)...so the number of trains will increase if that project ever goes through.

Right now there's some negotiation going on about who's going to pay for the infrastructural improvements to keep the passenger trains from bothering everyone in this part of the state. And yes, it has something to do with HORNS but I forget the details. Something about needing special upgrades or whatnot to prevent the trains from blowing HORNS all the time when going through railroad crossings.

Senators Eye Expansion Of Planned Passenger Rail Line « CBS Miami

Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Both developments are far enough west for you to only experience very, very faint train noise if at all. Both are approx. 4 miles from the tracks.

Last edited by HarryWho?; 02-19-2014 at 05:05 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 05:05 AM

910 posts, read 2,217,763 times
We live a little over 2 miles west of the railroad tracks in Vero Beach, and at night, if I am in the front of the house, I can faintly hear the train's horn (yes, it does blow its horn as it goes through town). It's certainly not loud enough to wake me up, however, even if I had the window open.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:15 AM

459 posts, read 619,333 times
They need to install automated gates or barriers with lights and bells so that the train does not have to blast the horn at every road crossing.
The lack of good passenger rail system in this country baffles the rest of the world.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 AM

403 posts, read 1,079,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
They need to install automated gates or barriers with lights and bells so that the train does not have to blast the horn at every road crossing.
The lack of good passenger rail system in this country baffles the rest of the world.
Agreed. I have no idea why we don't already have quality rail transit across the US.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:40 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Maybe they see what a financial disaster AMTRAK is and do not want to invest their money in something that (in AMTRAK's case) seems to be a money pit. Of course, private enterprise might be able to do it better (think: FedEx versus US Postal Service), but Americans have become much too attached to the freedom of automobiles. Besides, increased rail service would mean more of those noisy horns going off and disturbing people.

The train goes right through Stuart, and I have to say I was surprised at how quickly I "tuned out" the horns and the railcar noise. I do notice, however, that some trains will lean on that horn a lot more than others. It might be nice if they'd standardize when they hit the horn, and for how long they sound it.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:57 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Maybe the rest of the world is baffled not understanding the SIZE of the USA compared to their countries, and the density of populations, the limited DEMAND here, and the extensive use of our rail for freight.

American railways: High-speed railroading | The Economist

Quote:
Amtrak's passenger services are sparse compared with Europe's. But America's freight railways are one of the unsung transport successes of the past 30 years. They are universally recognised in the industry as the best in the world.
Quote:
America's railways are the mirror image of Europe's. Europe has an impressive and growing network of high-speed passenger links, many of them international, like the Thalys service between Paris and Brussels or the Eurostar connecting London to the French and Belgian capitals. These are successful—although once the (off-balance-sheet) costs of building the tracks are counted, they need subsidies of billions of dollars a year. But, outside Germany and Switzerland, Europe's freight rail services are a fragmented, lossmaking mess. Repeated attempts to remove the technical and bureaucratic hurdles at national frontiers have come to nothing.
Europe and US Country Size Comparison Map - How Big is Europe?

I don't know a single person who'd chose to go from the East coast to the West coast on a train, except for the ones we already have:

| Amtrak Vacations

Lastly, Americans will NEVER EVER agree to government telling US when we can drive or even CONSIDERING road space rationing that you see implemented or promoted elsewhere...where there is "allegedly" "GREAT" public transit.

Letters: Road space rationing is the only way to curb congestion | Letters | New Civil Engineer

Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
I think they sound the horn at crossings that have gates/lights also. I think they have to do this at every crossing. For one, even if the gates/lights are supposed to work, what if they malfunctioned. The train engineer wouldn't be able to tell if they malfunctioned until too late. So they just warn at all crossings regardless.

Here are the rules about train horns at crossings. Looks like a crossing can be designated as a Quiet Zone.

http://www.bnsf.com/communities/faqs/train-horns/

Paste from the above link:

Why do trains sound horns?

Train horns are required by federal law to be sounded at all public crossings, 24 hours a day, to warn motorists and pedestrians that a train is approaching.
Train crews may also sound their horns when there is a vehicle, person or animal on or near the track and the crew determines it is appropriate to provide warning. Crews may also sound the horn when there are track or construction workers within 25 feet of a live track, or when gates and lights at the crossing are not functioning properly.
Are there any ways to reduce horn use?

One solution is for a community to look at what is required to qualify for a quiet zone under rules established by the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). A quiet zone is a stretch of track where the FRA has agreed that trains are not required to routinely sound the horn at each public crossing except in emergencies, such as someone on the track or workers within 25 feet of the track or at the discretion of the crew, as appropriate.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:59 AM

459 posts, read 619,333 times
The horn regulation is so olde world !!! The rest of the world does not drive onto the tracks and get smashed by a train, why would an American do so ??? Level crossing incidents are very similar across the world, even in my native UK where some crossings have IC125 pounding through at 125 MPH
The transportation part of this conversation might be better off here - https://www.city-data.com/forum/urban...-ended-up.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach