Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:55 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,212,969 times

Advertisements

Single Stream Recycling begins May 1 for Port St. Lucie residents

Port St. Lucie residents will be able to recycle with ease when single stream recycling begins on May 1, 2014. This exciting new program is due to the efforts of the City of Port St. Lucie, St. Lucie County and Waste Pro working together to reduce costs and increase revenue through the added participation in recycling.

Single stream recycling refers to a system in which both the collection and processing systems are designed to handle all recyclables such as paper, plastics, metals and other containers.

In March and April 2014, Waste Pro will be delivering a free, brand new 64-gallon recycling cart to each household. Residents are asked to use the cart in place of the blue and green bins beginning May 1.

Don't throw out your old blue and green bins! You are free to keep the bins and use them for storage, etc. If you don't want them, place them at the curb for pick up by Waste Pro.

Program highlights

No need to sort or separate recyclables
Even more household items can be recycled like pots and pans
Cart can hold more than twice the amount of the blue and green bins combined
Reduces the carbon footprint and helps maintain a clean and healthy environment
Solid waste and recycling rates for residents are locked in through fiscal year 2019/2020
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 06:40 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,800,205 times
WHOOOHOOO! Welcome to the 21st century PSL! LOL- so sick of those little bins that litter our recyclables throughout the neighborhood every time the wind blows. This will really help!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 AM

24 posts, read 46,190 times
Starting tomorrow March 3rd, deliveries of the 64 gallon recycling bin will begin. Remember to recycle and get others involved to help the environment

Old 03-21-2014, 11:11 AM

361 posts, read 751,011 times
My neighborhood received our container yesterday but you are not allowed to put it out until May 1st.

I really wish they would give one of these containers for trash too. Most cities do.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:28 PM

I agree PSLWater. Not only does it look better at the curb, you contain the trash better because animals can't get into it and the wind won't carry them off. Most importantly though, it would cut manpower costs dramatically. They could have the trucks with side claws that pick up the containers. No more workers to manually pick the trashcans up and empty into the trucks.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:55 PM

108 posts, read 181,861 times
So...what's the story with recycleable pick up between now and May 1? I figured (and couldn't find anything else) that I was probably to continue to put out my bins as normal (Tuesdays in my neighborhood). Did that last Tuesday, and no pick up. Did they just miss my street or is there something different going on in the interm?

howlinowl

Old 03-22-2014, 05:13 AM

They should be continuing with normal pickup. If you were skipped, call Waste Management. They skipped my trash pickup one day and came around the next day and got it. Please do not use the new bins until May 1. I've already seen a lot of bright individuals on my street that can't read a stinkin paper and understand not to use things until it is time. SMH!!

Old 03-22-2014, 06:02 AM

138 posts, read 244,389 times
Come on now let's not be so harsh on "those" bright individuals........I really didn't think I would need to read instructions to use a recycle bin...also it was still dark out...

Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 AM

Default what to recycle --- starts on MAY 1st

Preparing for the Single Stream Recycling Program

More than 65,000 new recycling carts have been delivered to Port St. Lucie residents for the single stream recycling program. Beginning May 1, place all of your household recyclables in the cart. Residents will no longer have to sort and separate items. Both the collection and processing systems are designed to handle all recyclables such as paper, plastics, metals and other containers.

Here are some quick tips to make single stream recycling part of your everyday routine:

Empty, rinse and recycle: Leaving dirty containers, bottles, cans and aluminum foil in your cart not only encourages unwanted insects and rodents to sniff around your house, but it will make your cart a breeding ground for bacteria and contamination.

Recycle even more: Pots, pans, metal lids, metal toys, cookie sheets and manual can openers can now go in the cart. There's a complete list on the cart lid of what can and cannot go in for recycling.
Placing cart at curb: Roll your cart out to the curb before 7 a.m. on your scheduled recycling pickup days. Place the cart with the lid opening facing the road and make sure it's at least 5 feet away from the mailbox to allow the automated arm of the truck to access the cart.

Use only the 64-gallon recycling cart provided by Waste Pro for your recyclables. Any loose recyclables left outside of the cart will not be picked up.

Bring back your bins and give back to your community on May 3

The City of Port St. Lucie and Keep Port St. Lucie Beautiful are asking residents to bring their old blue and green recycle bins to the Thornhill Public Works site at 450 S.W. Thornhill Drive on Saturday, May 3 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.

For those unable to attend the Bring Back Your Bins event, there will be a large Waste Pro roll-off container located at City Hall at 121 S.W. Airoso Blvd. from Sunday, May 4 through Saturday, May 10 where the old bins can be dropped off.

Once the single stream recycling program begins on May 1, residents will begin using the new 64-gallon cart for household recyclables and Waste Pro will no longer be servicing the blue and green bins.

The old bins collected at the Bring Back Your Bins event will likely support recycling programs in local schools and communities in our area. Bringing back the old bins is a great way to give back to the community and show your support for the recycling program and the positive effects it has on this community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k8OoaAlWLw

Old 04-22-2014, 07:03 AM

New trucks
Waste Pro's new fleet of compressed natural gas trucks are equipped with automated arms specially designed to empty the single stream carts. The arm is controlled from inside the vehicle so Waste Pro employees do not have to leave the truck. This makes the process quicker and safer for the operators. Less time to empty the cart in front of your home means less interruptions in your neighborhood. Because the trucks run on compressed natural gas, they are much quieter then diesel engines and emit less exhaust, which will result in cleaner air for our community.

PREPARING YOUR RECYCLABLES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py18IkwWwLQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach