Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 AM

28 posts, read 51,747 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Could you all help me know if what we are looking for is possible in the Treasure Coast area?

We have long been wanting to move back to somewhere warm (he grew up in the tropics, I am from AZ). We are currently in CT and paperwork is being signed for dh to work remotely from "anywhere", so a job is not an issue. With family in Florida, that is where we are focusing. We love the beach and have family in Naples, but it is too expensive (and for me, too big and "touristy").

We've been perusing the forums and other sites, and keep coming back to the Treasure Coast area, both for lifestyle and affordability. Dh will keep his CT salary, but our goal is that I will be able to stay home (I am a teacher) for a few years at least to homeschool our 10 year old. Our biggest caveat is that we will need housing for two family units; we look after and financially support his elderly mom and aunt.

So here are our needs:
-A 3BR/2BA + office or family room for us. (BR for us, for our son, and an office for my husband to work out of; also, we have a college age dd and a young adult dd who will need a BR or family room to share when they are visiting us.
-A safe, walkable area. If I want to get up with the sun and take a walk by myself, I will be comfortable and safe.
-Single story.
-I can handle cosmetic interior work on a home, but a real fixer-upper is beyond my level of expertise.

Here's the biggie:
-We need a nearby studio or 1BR condo or apartment rental for my husband's mom and aunt. They need their own living space and kitchen. We could make do with a home that has an in-law/guest-house quarters, but to be honest, having a block or so between them and us might be better. They need a ground-floor, also safe area where they can get out and walk.

Wants:
For us, +1400sf.
-No HOA or a low HOA. I prefer traditional neighborhoods.
-My ideal home lot is between a .25 and .5 of an acre. I don't like tiny lots, but do like a neighborhood feel rather than "out in the country".
-No more than a 30 minute drive to the beach.

My "pie-in-the-sky" dreams:
-A neighborhood where I can walk (let's say in 30 minutes) to a pharmacy/library/grocery store/park/restaurants/shops. (Not necessarily to all of these, but a few would be nice.)

Are our needs (and maybe a few wants?) possible on the treasure coast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:09 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,214,905 times
what price /s are you looking to spend?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
what price /s are you looking to spend?
We're shooting for 2K/month for total mortgage/rent on both homes.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,214,905 times
what price home are you looking for --a mtg purchase? cash? That will give me more info and a place to look

if you want to answer privately -- just click on my name and send a private message

Old 02-20-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
what price home are you looking for --a mtg purchase? cash? That will give me more info and a place to look

if you want to answer privately -- just click on my name and send a private message
Sent you a couple of messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach