Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 AM

95 posts, read 185,646 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are looking to move to the area. I used to live in Pompano Beach when I was a teen. He has a friend that lives in PSL. We were looking at Ft. Lauderdale, but it seems the area and Pompano have gone way downhill. We are looking to buy a reasonably priced house that is move in ready.
OK. Here come the questions!!
How do we make this all fall into place at the right time??
It seems like such a monumental task.
Renting first is out of the question. Rents are more than we want to be paying.
So does my husband secure a job first and then we try to find a house?
How long is the average job going to let someone have between hiring and moving? Plus it seems like jobs now want to interview you to death. We can't be flying my husband down for interviews. One, maybe. But subsequent interviews- no.
We would be moving down from New York. This winter was the final straw. You get nothing for the price of living here. We could never afford a house here. Let alone the oil to heat it.
The move is going to be a whole separate fiasco. But I did look into the moving section and read that.
Do most people work in PSL?
What are the places to stay out of as far as neighborhoods?
And nowhere can I find a street map of PSL. I tried Amazon, but the 1 that they have I'm not sure is what I'm looking for.
Thank you for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 07:55 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,205,704 times
If you are buying for cash -- be my guest coming down without a job since nobody will ask.

If you plan on getting a mortgage, don't even think about it till you have a job here. You will have to have a job in this area that is similar to the job/s you have in NY right now. The mortgage lender will ask for 2 years of taxes, employment, bank statements, etc. You need to be prequalified up front before you begin to look.

Most of the people who I meet that are moving to the area have a job lined up with a start date a few weeks away. You can get a letter of employment from the new job stating what your salary will be.

As for a map -- use mapquest.com if you want to find something in the area while you are in NY. You can always pick an address or street and then move the map away to see the whole picture.

You can pick up a map of the area almost anywhere once you are here.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:08 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Also, househunting on the internet is fine for fun but neighborhood hunting is a different story. You have to be here. Usually several times unless, say, you KNOW you want to be in your friend's neighborhood then your choices are more concrete.

You can always RENT after he gets the job. Even in a execustay type of property for a month or whatever.

You may not like the price of rents but getting stuck with a depreciating asset or a house you regret is a much greater cost.

What about the differential savings in HEATING your property up North? It's definitely more $$ than AC here.

There are plenty of reasonable rentals at least in MY town Vero Beach.

Houses for Rent in Vero Beach FL - 23 Homes - Zillow

That's another thing, if you're a homeowner up there you have to sell that house, too, which complicates the matter. I don't see how you can EASILY get a job AND buy a house here all at once. If you're already a renter than it's a swap.

I was supposed to be rehired by MY OWN COMPANY here and it took them 17 months! THEN after I gave up and bought my condo they offered me the job two months later. IN THREE OTHER CITIES.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:56 PM

95 posts, read 185,646 times
Thank You FlaLadyB and Runs! I wish we were paying cash. We rent now. Definitely we'll be trading oil heat for ac bills. Hopefully they won't be too bad. We'd like to get a 900 to 1100 sq ft place.
I suggested Vero Beach also.
I did find a good map on the PSL website. I went to the library and printed out all 55 pages. Being 44 I just like to have the map in my hand vs looking at the net. I did see a post where FlaLadyB put up a link to the crime map, so that was good too.
Now I can look up stuff on here and make notes on the map.
I'm not sure how it's all going to work either. Job/move/house. His friend says we can stay there for a bit.
Right now we're in the planning stages. My husband calls it the 5 year plan. But I'm thinking a year or two.
We're going to start downsizing our possessions and getting our finances squared. Plus lots of research.
We are a very quiet couple. 44/40. Married 5 years. 2 small dogs. We don't like to party. We're pretty much home -bodys. We don't want a HOA. Not looking for ocean front property. Or a castle. Not sure if that puts us in a certain neighborhood. We definitely won't be in the richest neighborhood.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:50 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
A two year plan sounds about right

Downsizing is huge and great.

good luck.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM

76 posts, read 133,526 times
I moved to FL from MA in November. I had just finished my masters degree in May, an had a baby in July. My plan was to be in FL by October. Everyone told me I was crazy and I'd never do it that fast. It wasn't easy, but it CAN be done.

I was lucky because my parents live in the area where we moved to so they did a lot of running around for us. I found a job working from home and as soon as I secured that, we found a place to live and moved within a month. I HIGHLY recommend renting - it will give you an opportunity to really find a good neighborhood that fits what you're looking for. A lot of things are subjective when looking for a place to live. "Nice" could mean one thing to you but something different to someone else. It depends on your standards.

When I got the offer for my job, I calculated how long I needed to pack, move and get settled before I have them a start date. It was more than a month and I just worked it into the offer. My employer had no issue with it.

It's a good idea to start going through your stuff and getting rid of things you don't need. We made 4 trips to Salvation Army with donations before we moved. Also, it might sound ridiculous, but start packing now. Pack books and mementos you can live without. Basically get down to the bare minimum even if you don't have a move date set. At the very least, start collecting boxes so when you are ready to pack you have them on hand. Packing for me was a challenge with a newborn but I was lucky to have a mother in law who offered to babysit while I packed. It was still easier having done a bunch of it way before the move. You won't believe all the little things you'll try to fit in before the movers come. So packing ahead is a good idea.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:40 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Hope View Post
Hi! My husband and I are looking to move to the area. I used to live in Pompano Beach when I was a teen. He has a friend that lives in PSL. We were looking at Ft. Lauderdale, but it seems the area and Pompano have gone way downhill. We are looking to buy a reasonably priced house that is move in ready.
OK. Here come the questions!!
How do we make this all fall into place at the right time??
It seems like such a monumental task.
Renting first is out of the question. Rents are more than we want to be paying.
So does my husband secure a job first and then we try to find a house?
How long is the average job going to let someone have between hiring and moving? Plus it seems like jobs now want to interview you to death. We can't be flying my husband down for interviews. One, maybe. But subsequent interviews- no.
We would be moving down from New York. This winter was the final straw. You get nothing for the price of living here. We could never afford a house here. Let alone the oil to heat it.
The move is going to be a whole separate fiasco. But I did look into the moving section and read that.
Do most people work in PSL?
What are the places to stay out of as far as neighborhoods?
And nowhere can I find a street map of PSL. I tried Amazon, but the 1 that they have I'm not sure is what I'm looking for.
Thank you for any help!!
Wow looks like you are in a similar situation as we are returning to Fl for the 3rd time though, it's hard when you don't have a job lined up, for sure, we just got back to NC this past week from PSL and central Fl area, things seem to be rebounding from when we left Ft. lauderdale in '08, good for the sellers, but not the buyer's, anyway just wanted to let you know you are not alone in your situation ! Best of luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach