Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:02 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,609,716 times

Advertisements

Just got the bad news that my Heat Pump/AC is on its last legs( ten years old). Seems the coils outside are corroding. I was told I have to replace the entire system since the older units have a different freon than the new ones.
Normally I would turn to Trane but that is based on my research ten years ago when I replaced the unit in my previous home. My current system is a heat pump=Ruud. I know there are publications online but I like real world experience to better make a decision. Unfortunately my AC guy does not do Trane. I need a 4 ton system. Any help would be appreciated. I have a heat pump the previous owners installed when they built the house but they were from Ohio and perhaps that was not the wisest choice. I know it is great for cold climates where heat is used a lot more but here we need air-conditioning most of the year so a heat pump my not be the best choice to replace the unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 01:19 PM

459 posts, read 620,561 times
I would check with a Rudd contractor first, there is no way the coils should be rotting out at 10 years. BTW, they are showing a 10 year warranty for current units.
I also doubt that the indoor unit would need replacing, technology has not changed that much in 10 years.
A heat pump is good for winter heating and summer cooling, with just an AC unit only you will heed heat strips so I don't see any advantage in changing to anything else.

I do like the look of mini-splits and will try them out if an opportunity arises.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:31 PM

I don't know about Freon but the ac guy said there is new Freon and the newest units do not take the same as the unit I have from 2003. I did not realize there were changes in freon in that time. And because it takes New freon I cannot only change the outside unit but need to change both the inside expansion coils beside the outside compressor coils. Hummm. Lots to learn. In my last home I got taken advantage of and I want to learn to be better informed and not get more than I need.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:50 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,307,848 times
Some info here

R-22 Refrigerant Answers From The AC Experts

Old 03-24-2014, 03:19 PM

Got it, now I know what to do. When it fails change the whole thing. Now which brand? If a Chevrolet is best no point going to a Toyota dealer, even though the Toyota dealer can " get" me a Chevrolet. In case I need warranty I need to go with a dealer direct. Correct?

Old 03-24-2014, 04:22 PM

When I bought mine the warranty comes from the manufacturer , not the installer ... The unit that came with my home was "builder " grade and only had a 5 yr warranty( it lasted 7 years) .the new one has a 10 yr . I had a heat pump as well and replaced it with an A/C only unit with a in vent heater . We have yet to use the heat part since we moved here ....when it was time to replace I got three bids and chose who I felt would do the best job at the best price

Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 PM

Wonder why there are so many heat pumps around?

Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 PM

They say that a heat pump is less costly to heat if you use it frequently ...

Old 03-24-2014, 05:08 PM

459 posts, read 620,561 times
Lennox have a good write up on the subject here. Dry charged units seem to alow the change of the outside unit without changing the inside unit. You need to establish why the outdoor unit perished so soon, my Rudd is 31 years old and still running strong.
Cooling Refrigerants | R-22 to R-410A | Lennox Residential

If the old lines are to be retained, they must be well flushed as per
http://contractingbusiness.com/refri...0a-conversions
Also better to repair if possible
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....52#post6857852

Last edited by quattrohead; 03-24-2014 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 03-24-2014, 06:00 PM

Default New AC Needed

The Condensing coils are aluminum and are getting fragile and will crumble when touched. We have just been in the house for a year but the unit was installed by the previous owner when the house was built in 2003. When I inspected the coils a few months ago I was mad as hell. During the house inspection including the AC I specifically asked the AC company to clean and inspect the coils, they said it was not necessary without looking. It was my fault for not pressing the case but there was so much going on at the time I TRUSTED THEM. I removed the outer cover and the coils were packed with mud, grass clippings and yard debris. Perhaps this precipitated the deterioration.
I will call a Ruud dealer but I bet it is a waste of time. Nevertheless I will give it a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach