Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 08:16 AM

52 posts, read 77,433 times

Advertisements

Hi ALL, I have been thinking about building a house on my lot in Sebastian Highlands and moving down to Florida but I just have not been able to pull the trigger. I was wondering where for those of you living in this area full time where your money goes. I know that utilities (i.e. Electric) runs high and is a year around expense. Just wondering where the other big expenses are. Food, Taxes, Insurance, Gasoline and the like. When I move to TN from California everything was cheaper. However the food prices were not and the quality of the produce was not what I was use to. What would be some of the negative surprises people will experience should they move to Florida. Crime , to many tourist during those seasons, and those listed about . Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 10:21 AM

910 posts, read 2,217,763 times
Some groceries are more expensive - we paid $2.89 a gallon for milk in Ohio; here it is $4.19. A dozen eggs are $1.98 here, a good fifty cents higher than Ohio. (It has been a year since we moved to Florida, but these prices have remained steady since last Summer). Our property taxes are lower here, but that is partly because we had 10 unfarmed acres in Ohio; still, they seem reasonable in Florida. There is NO state income tax in Florida, so that will make up for the extra cost of some things. Auto insurance is higher - we pay $689 a year for our 2002 Toyota Highlander's insurance (just paid it this month; we have AAA insurance). House insurance is roughly the same, even with the additional $700 or so just for the hurricane coverage. Electric is high in summer but there are no heating costs in winter, so it balances out. As for gasoline prices, right now it is around $3.65 a gallon here in Vero Beach. Hope this helps !

Old 06-07-2014, 07:01 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
some of the things you have to look at are not MONEY....its a LIFESTYLE ....without SNOW and everything that entails..

Crime in this area is pretty much nil...

ask that same question to someone from Miami and they have bars on the windows

Old 06-08-2014, 12:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
Some groceries are more expensive - we paid $2.89 a gallon for milk in Ohio; here it is $4.19. A dozen eggs are $1.98 here, a good fifty cents higher than Ohio. (It has been a year since we moved to Florida, but these prices have remained steady since last Summer). Our property taxes are lower here, but that is partly because we had 10 unfarmed acres in Ohio; still, they seem reasonable in Florida. There is NO state income tax in Florida, so that will make up for the extra cost of some things. Auto insurance is higher - we pay $689 a year for our 2002 Toyota Highlander's insurance (just paid it this month; we have AAA insurance). House insurance is roughly the same, even with the additional $700 or so just for the hurricane coverage. Electric is high in summer but there are no heating costs in winter, so it balances out. As for gasoline prices, right now it is around $3.65 a gallon here in Vero Beach. Hope this helps !
That's so weird about the milk! I never really thought about it because I thought milk was a USDA driven price. Even in Philly it was substantially more!

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getf...TELPRDC5096547

I seem to remember there are much less stringent regulations about animals in Ohio so maybe that's why. No clue, though.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:22 PM

910 posts, read 2,217,763 times
I was at the beach today and talked with a visitor from Boston about comparing prices, and she said milk in Boston is about $4 a gallon. Could be we had a bargain all those years in Ohio and never knew it !

Old 06-08-2014, 03:13 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
I agree- my biggest expenses here vs NC are auto insurance and electric bills. Both are pretty significant here.

Milk is cheaper at Sams and BJ's- and only $2.99 on sale weeks at Walgreens. Groceries can be bought for cheap- you just have to plan. If you only go to Publix, you will pay thru the nose.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:31 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
I think it's impossible to make certain judgments on food prices since so many food items have skyrocketed nation-wide in recent years, despite the assertions by the government that there is "virtually no inflation".

Old 06-08-2014, 03:50 PM

361 posts, read 749,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I think it's impossible to make certain judgments on food prices since so many food items have skyrocketed nation-wide in recent years, despite the assertions by the government that there is "virtually no inflation".
Not only in price but sizes of many products have been decreased as well.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:22 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,195,244 times
prices change on certain items because of availability. You have to watch what happens to the growing seasons on a number of things. Like we do......duh Take honey- we are not going to have any available except at extreme prices unless we do something to help the bees.

Gas prices make me nuts

but I dont understand milk prices and some others. I would not think they would fluctuate that much.. but apparently they do!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Every experience is different, of course, but speaking to the original inquiry, I have noticed in my 2 1/2 years here (happily relocated from Georgia) that certain things are more expensive, some things cheaper. Off the top of my head:

More expensive in FL:
electricity
restaurants*
cable TV/internet
food (groceries)
clothing

Less Expensive in FL:
car insurance
my rent**
repairs/maintenance for car
gasoline (marginally)

* I say restaurants because I really hate to cook--that's a personal thing and can be curbed if times get tight. But yes, I have noticed chain restaurants back home would charge a lot less for the same exact dishes than they charge here.

** I may have just lucked out in that regard, but I haven't gotten a 1/1 apartment this cheaply since college in the 1990s. If/when I take the plunge and buy a place, my tune might likely change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach