Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:12 AM

85 posts, read 185,229 times

Advertisements

We almost always fly out of FLL instead of PBI because, as gv28 points out, PBI seems to be more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:24 PM

644 posts, read 1,484,520 times
FLL also has a lot more nonstop flights to choose from than PBI, I've found, both arrivals and departures.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:41 AM

910 posts, read 2,218,509 times
For nonstop flights (beyond Atlanta), we found the best deal through AirTran in Orlando. Orlando also has a smaller airport that Spirit Airline uses. From Vero, Orlando and FLL are about the same travel distance.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:29 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
We use PBI for the best time and easy location to get to from the Stuart,PSL,Jensen Beach area. Usually 45/50 minutes. Also used Fort Lauderdale and Orlando, not worth the extra time for us. Like others have said there are many options to flying into and out of the area. It all depends on how much you want to spend, distance to the airport, and where do the carriers fly to.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:07 PM

162 posts, read 311,111 times
My daughter prefers to fly from Charlotte to Melbourne since it is a smaller airport with no hassles. We had done the same before we moved from Pittsburgh using Arnold Palmer airport in Latrobe for the same reasons. It takes 5 minutes to get through security at either airport!
Javaman, it takes just over an hour to get to Melbourne and 45 min or so to get to PBI. Personally, if the schedules work for you, I would take the less stressful route through Melbourne

Old 06-27-2014, 04:35 AM

142 posts, read 230,603 times
Less stress? Right up my alley! Getting ready to book travel up to Atlanta and will definitely give Melbourne a close look.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:52 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,170,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFlo View Post
My daughter prefers to fly from Charlotte to Melbourne since it is a smaller airport with no hassles. We had done the same before we moved from Pittsburgh using Arnold Palmer airport in Latrobe for the same reasons. It takes 5 minutes to get through security at either airport!
Javaman, it takes just over an hour to get to Melbourne and 45 min or so to get to PBI. Personally, if the schedules work for you, I would take the less stressful route through Melbourne
A couple things to consider about Melbourne, though...it usually costs more than at larger airports. There are no non- stops. You either have to layover in Charlotte or Atlanta so sometimes a long trek to the next gate or a long wait. The 7 AM flights fill up fast with mostly business passengers so book early if you want that flight.

Question about Ft lauderdale......they are building a new terminal, right? Flew to Costa Rica from there on Spirit because it saved almost $300 on each ticket-even with all their stupid nickel and diming. and wondered if the whole airport is like their wing. Talk about a horrible, dirty, crowded, airport. There was only 1 place to buy a hot sandwich in the whole wing and maybe 1 or 2 stands for drinks and snacks. We had a 3 hour layover before connecting flight on return trip. Customs was crazy. Took about 2 hours to get through. Then had to go back out with all our bags-including the surf boards and check in for the connecting flight, go through security again, and check our bags, Our long 3 hour lay over gave us about 20 minutes to get food and the lines were long. We made 2 decisions that day- don't fly out of or into FLL and never do international flight where you have a connecting flight to get home.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 AM

644 posts, read 1,484,520 times
Sounds awful - that's one reason I have not traveled out of the country recently. Too much hassle - then add in time changes and jet lag.

I too try to avoid connecting flights unless one of them is a small local airport that is close by and easy to deal with. It will extend your travel time, and connecting flights tend to be more expensive; I've occasionally paid several hundred more. But sometimes that is preferable to driving hours through heavy or unpredictable traffic to a bigger airport to catch a nonstop flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach