Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 14,233 times

Advertisements

I have used Meetup.com and so forth..As I said-I go down to West Palm and find it more of a social atmosphere. There are many people who say they love it here-and many who do not. It is just my personal opinion....I know that no one in this world can make you happy but YOURSELF..Believe me, I do not rely on others to bring me happiness.....I just don't care for this area like I did for West palm... I just find there is more to do Southward and not so much here. I did NOT say EVERYONE here is oddball. A lot of people do say hello etc. I am talking about where I am at- off Floresta-not St. Lucie West..I think that area is very nice..Ive had people tell me they have block parties with their neighbors, drrinks etc...It is just not in this area..I do not want to be attacked for simply stating I don't like the area.......I am not going to argue with anyone over silliness...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 14,233 times
Just to add......If having neighbors ride on your lawn with a lawnmower (to antagonize) and then racing go karts thru your yard sounds like a HAPPY place-then there is something wrong with me....People who open their garage-sit in the driveway and BLAST music DAILY that can be heard the next street over-and when you ask them to lower it-they do it all the more and raise it higher-disturbing everyone. Raise it even higher when you walk outside just to aggravate you. Parking boats-trucks in the swale and on the street area-racing and revving motors over and over. Yelling and being morons.... Throwing cig butts in your yard-and crackers in your driveway.....Yes, this is completely normal right? LOW LIFES! Normal people do not behave that way.....Fireworks -12-1 am scaring the dogs....They get a 'RISE" of harassing people because they have NOTHING else to do-and MISERY LOVES COMPANY! Who wants to live like that? Not me for sure. So there are a lot of reasons I don't like this area.I don't think you would like living like this and anyone who has any CLASS would definitely not behave like this or treat others like that-PERIOD! Unfortunately this is what I have for neighbors......And there is more-but when someone states their opinion on something, there may be MORE reasons that are unmentioned and that someone else/others may not be aware of...Just a thought........

Enjoy your day all.......

Old 06-25-2014, 11:47 AM

98 posts, read 167,274 times
Sounds like you should have done your due diligence about the area you moved to. You can't generalize that all of Port St. Lucie is not a decent place to live because of where you reside. Plenty of what you describe goes on in West Palm Beach too. Tons of not so great areas exist in West Palm Beach.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:46 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,769 times
I've lived here since Oct 2011 and my wife and I find plenty of things to do here , most around the beautiful weather , beaches etc.. We are not the go out and party type so not sure about that but I see live music in Jensen Beach all the time and various restaurants as well ...I've never lived in west palm but I'm sure there's more there to do , Big concerts here, nope but I think there's plenty to do .
In the area where we live most people are friendly and we have made some close friends as well. doing things here in the HOA , attending meetings serving on committees help you to get to know your neighbors . We came from a small Village in Upstate NY between Buffalo and Erie Pa and I find the people here as friendly . In fact I know and do things with my neighbors here more often than I ever did in NY . Just my opinion and I'm sure like Aug0822 you will find all different opinions depending on who you ask and where they live .
- there are outdoor festivals often
- the beach can be close as 10-15 minutes if you live East of US 1 or 40 plus minutes in traffic if you live far west in PSL

Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aug0822 View Post
Just to add......If having neighbors ride on your lawn with a lawnmower (to antagonize) and then racing go karts thru your yard sounds like a HAPPY place-then there is something wrong with me....People who open their garage-sit in the driveway and BLAST music DAILY that can be heard the next street over-and when you ask them to lower it-they do it all the more and raise it higher-disturbing everyone. Raise it even higher when you walk outside just to aggravate you. Parking boats-trucks in the swale and on the street area-racing and revving motors over and over. Yelling and being morons.... Throwing cig butts in your yard-and crackers in your driveway.....Yes, this is completely normal right? LOW LIFES! Normal people do not behave that way.....Fireworks -12-1 am scaring the dogs....They get a 'RISE" of harassing people because they have NOTHING else to do-and MISERY LOVES COMPANY! Who wants to live like that? Not me for sure. So there are a lot of reasons I don't like this area.I don't think you would like living like this and anyone who has any CLASS would definitely not behave like this or treat others like that-PERIOD! Unfortunately this is what I have for neighbors......And there is more-but when someone states their opinion on something, there may be MORE reasons that are unmentioned and that someone else/others may not be aware of...Just a thought........

Enjoy your day all.......
I wouldn't like those neighbors either , not sure what can be done about that but I would have a serious issue with them
- you have lived here way longer than I and I'm sure you have tried lots of stuff to resolve issues with them but have you ever considered calling the police as fireworks are illegal ? Same thing with the trespassing .. Police aren't always the first route but sometimes that's what it takes to stop some of the BS

Old 06-25-2014, 05:29 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,338 times
I love Florida, but like anywhere else, it has its pros and cons, and different possible choices within Florida--even within a city--have their pros and cons, and so all the info people post on City-Data--the good and the bad--is helpful in my opinion.

Not too many people would disagree that where to live is one of the most important decisions anyone can make, and it can be hard to get the kind of anecdotal info about personal experiences that people take the time to post here elsewhere, so these forums are so useful, especially when a lot of people are trying to search out possibilities from a distance. I've gotten some great info here, and I really appreciate getting both sides so I can make choices based on as complete a picture as possible.

For the people who love where they wound up, I understand why, and I'm happy for you. (Life is good sometimes! )

For the ones who feel they made a mistake or are in the wrong place for them, hope things get better for you. And try not to feel too bad--I made a huge mistake with a Florida condo purchase some years back, even though I thought I was doing my due diligence at the time. There's a lot to learn and know--most people do the best they can at the time, and that's all you can do. My own advice to myself is, just learn what you can and look ahead. And in the meantime, find time to seek out and enjoy the good things. (I don't own a home yet, but those sunset walks on the beach are amazing!)

For the people who are still looking, well, you can choose to ignore the bad while you're house-hunting, but once you're there, it's gonna be there with you. So I think anyone who's asking about the negatives now rather than being surprised by them later, and making their trade-offs accordingly, is on the right track.

Once in a while, I'll see someone post a question and end with something like "And I only want to hear about positive experiences; negative people, please stay away." I'm not a negative person, but I do stay away, because I'm more interested in a realistic, balanced view of things than a one-sided view. That kind of thread has its place--likely a person who's already decided but is nervous and wants reassurance, or who is leaning toward a possible path and wants a push. But even though I've been a cheerleader at times for people who need it, that's not the mindset I want to have when it comes to researching (or sharing information about) a decision as important as where to live and buying a home.

Last edited by City__Datarer; 06-25-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 05:12 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aug0822 View Post
Well thats exactly what I mean...You state an opinion and you get a response such as yours FlaLadyB. I also stated the area is not a social area like West Palm for LIVE music, concerts etc....I am entitled to my opinion-so lets not have a silly arguement...Just what I get with these people here--always looking for conflict or confrontation. "Thinking of Moving to St. Lucie" was her post and I replied..thats all..... As I said, I don't waste my time with people like that- so I won't be suffering....I just do my own thing and that's it.
Well stated Aug, thanks for being honest about your block and area that you live in. It's sad when you state an opinion and in 18 minutes someone tells you to move out. I get the same vibe with many areas in Port St. Lucie. With that said there are many decent and nice areas of PSL. But perspective buyers and or rentors should be aware that many areas and streets are not so nice and to do their homework or they might end up in a nightmarish situation like yourself. I wish you the best of luck if and when you move and thanks for letting people know that the area is mixed and some areas downright horrible.

Last edited by Sunscape; 06-29-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 12:04 PM

63 posts, read 130,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
Is it a fun place to live or is it mostly retired people with lots of golf courses?
Hi Gail Ann:

To answer your question articulately, let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am in my late 20's, I have lived in Port St. Lucie since January 2013, and I currently work in my company's finance department down in Jupiter. You asked how far Disney was from here and how far the beach is; Disney is about 110 or so miles from where I am, and the beach is about 20-25 minutes (mostly as a result of traffic lights).

If you are a retiree, or if you have settled down with a family, or if you just enjoy the slow life: you "might" like Port St. Lucie. There are properties of value here among others, and to reiterate, the beach is at most 20-25 minutes away from I-95.

Fort Pierce has a festival on the first Friday of the month, Tradition has a food festival on the first and third Wednesday of the month, and Jensen Beach has the Pineapple Festival once a year in November. Other than that, no live music (that I know of). In addition, there are not very many bars worth going to at all around here.

If you are looking for a job in St. Lucie County, it will be very difficult. Here is an article that was posted in this very forum with regards to quality of life: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/up...in-the-us.html

These are the facts, and not mere conjecture.

Personally, I'm trying to move to Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, or West Palm Beach, where there are many more things to do and more people my age. West Palm Beach has Sunfest every early May, an example of llive music that you enjoy. West Palm also has CityPlace and Clematis Street for nightlife, should you be interested in that. Finally, across the intercoastal, you have the beach.

Just make sure you consider "all" the facts before you make a move anywhere. Do your due diligence and make sure you research the area. Aug0822's post (#7) hit on some key points, some of which are very true and some in which the truth seemed to have been stretched. So make sure you read every post and account for all of the information and facts, and ignore any unprofessional or negative posts or posts promoting such propaganda (such as FlaLadyB's post #8 right below).

I hope this post helps you. Thanks, and have a good day.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:15 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Just make sure you consider "all" the facts before you make a move anywhere. Do your due diligence and make sure you research the area. Aug0822's post (#7) hit on some key points, some of which are very true and some in which the truth seemed to have been stretched. So make sure you read every post and account for all of the information and facts, and ignore any unprofessional or negative posts or posts promoting such propaganda (such as FlaLadyB's post #8 right below).

This is what I tell people also Random Guy (well said) that are looking in the area. You have to look at the bad also, not just all the good posts out there to get you to come down and possibly buy or rent and make a mistake. This is what a forum in america is about. Freedom of speech(posters) that give an honest answer on your decision making, not telling people to move, get out, don't move to florida and so on and so forth. Wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by JERSEY MAN; 06-30-2014 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 06-30-2014, 04:52 PM

251 posts, read 246,363 times
Hi Gail,

My husband and I have lived in PSL for two months now and I'll share our observations. First, our bio is we are mid 30's no kids, and we want peace and quiet, with the option to join society if we so choose. So far we have found a couple of locally owned bars/pizza places that have craft beer and great pizza, and a super laid back on the water place with great food in Jensen Beach. We are rural minded vs wanting to be urban dwellers. We made about 6-7 visits to Florida before jumping in and moving, and husband was already working in Florida which was partly what precipitated our move. I wanted a warmer climate also and I in general was not happy where we were. Florida also has a burgeoning industry in my field of work. I will add that I found an awesome job here within a month of moving.

We have found people here to be very laid back and friendly. The native Floridians are so chill! We currently rent an apartment that is 20 minutes to Jensen Beach. It is way more quiet than the condo we owned in Colorado. It would be faster if the stop lights were not so wacky in their timing going west to east, like RandomGuy mentioned! I walk to get groceries and to other activities. Here are some of the positives I see around me: *Nice people *birding trails/parks nearby *amazing produce!! (buying produce at the grocer is for suckers, find yourself a nice produce store along the road, way better and much cheaper!!) *laid back pace *easy to find my way around *The Beach
Some not so great things we have noticed: *Neighborhoods vary a lot in a short distance as to quality *somewhat of a sprawl type town *There are a lot of police around for a reason, which is both comforting and disturbing at the same time I suppose...

We are so far very happy here and are loving the Florida lifestyle. There is a lot to learn about home ownership here and we are studying up! It is very different here vs driving an hour south…where it get fast paced and uptight. (my opinion) Maybe come visit for a week and take a look around, reserve judgement, just take it in. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach