Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM

2 posts, read 17,710 times

Advertisements

thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:47 PM

28 posts, read 110,135 times
I Made It To The Park. Very Nice And Well Located. My Pups Met About 10 Other Dogs. Blonde Lady With Two Large Dogs, Please Teach Your Dogs Not To Bite.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,271 times
The dog park is for residents and its not a public dog park. As a courtesy for the residents of the community, its not advertised.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:40 AM

27 posts, read 90,120 times
Lightbulb Dog Park

Yes, the dogpark is for tradition residents only and it is now being moved because of the insurance liability of too many other dogs from surrrounding areas coming in. It will be guarded and an access card will be given to tradition residents.
I assume I am the "blonde lady" who's dogs bite. I wish you would have come up to me and said something in person so it could've rectified it if it was something I missed. There is a man at the park who kicks dogs so I'm hoping this is not you or your husband.
As a responsible dog owner, I did some research and realized that my one dog is used to coming to the park at the same time every day, with the same dogs for over a year, so it is no longer neutral territoty for him and he rough houses with what has become his "pack". I now take him on "off times" where he is very well behaved. The other dog I take at normal times and he behaves fine.
People must also understand basic dog park rules: You can not enter if your dog will not come to you when you call (in case there's a dog fight); the park is NOT a substitution for excercise it is a place for socialization; there is a SMALL side for small dogs (I've seen way too many people freak out that their small dogs are being chased by larger ones in a play manner); the dog park is not a place for children under 5 years old, and if you do bring a small child they should be no further then 5 feet from you at all times. As a responsible parent I can't believe how many kids are let to run free and then the parents get mad if a child gets jumped on or knocked over. We don't let our dogs run free in the playground up the road wy would you let your child run free around large, unknown dogs?
Also (and i hardly see this rule being followed): A valid rabies tag issued by the licensed veterinarian administering the vaccination must be worn at all times by the dog or cat for which the tag was issued except when the dog or cat is being shown in competition, is actively engaged in the sport of hunting, is in the confines of the owner's property, or is government-owned dog used for law enforcement purposes.
Also know that after talking to county cops in Port St. Lucie, pit bull breeds are not allowed off leash in any park and that Florida is considering banning Pit Bull breeds statewide (I do a lot of research because my dog's demeanor completely changed after he was brutally attacked by a pit bull at this dog park) Another one of the reasons I take him seperately and at different times. I would love to meet the ndividual who spoke vaguely about me so we could rectify this as adults. Feel free to approach me at any time so I can assure you the other methods of training I practice with my dog.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:26 AM

6 posts, read 21,707 times
After checking with the officials at Tradition they said that right now it is not a private park and that they will be charging monthly usage fees in 2009 for people from outside and inside of Tradition to help keep the park pretty and horrible dogs outside.

I bring my dog to this dog park and am a Tradition resident and have never had any negative experiences other than wishing someone didn't consider a Wolf to be a domestic animal.

I know a lot about BSL as I work with animals within Saint Lucie & Martin Counties, so let me set some things straight.

Under Saint Lucie County law no dog is allowed off leash outside of a dog park. There are also NO BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) in Saint Lucie County. So it is not true that American Pit Bull Terriers or Rottweilers or any other breed aren't allowed. Also, officials at Tradition state that any breed is allowed there as long as it's well behaved.

Also, there is no BSL being passed statewide to ban any breed. The law was tossed out of court for 2008 and may be revisited in 2009. However, the law is that each county will be able to do a vote on restricting certain breeds. It will be a case by case basis and can only be a breed that there have been X amount of cases reported to the police about in that county. Also, Saint Lucie County and Martin County officials have stated to me that they have no plans of passing any county BSL laws even of and when it becomes available to them. They did state that if it ever did come about it wouldn't kick current pets out, but just new ones and current breeds would have to be spayed or neutered.

Please be a responsible pet owner if you are bringing your dog (whether it's a tiny teacup Yorkie or a huge Great Dane). If your dog is DA (dog aggressive) or HA (human aggressive) even the slightest... Please take them on leashed walks. Also, please pick up after your beloved little one. Also, while I am sitting with my dog I do not want to have to entertain your child, so please watch your kids too.

Also, please keep a close eye on your pup. A dog fight can break out in a split second. Even the most docile family pet can start one. Yorkie or Rottie or Pug... Do not ever think it cannot be your dog.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:32 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,778 times
Even a well trained dog can get mad if got challenged and owner (me) does nothing to protect her in order to respect other dog's owner. When the dog got mad (red zone), it is impossible to recall reliably.

We all train our dogs. Most of us are not professionals. I have seen many professionals that break dog fight by force not by verbal command.

Dog should be recalled prior to the fight. Owners should keep their eye on their dogs. If their dogs act out, recall before the situation escalates to a fight. And please don’t wait for dogs working out their issues by themselves (I don’t think they want the responsibility). This rule applies to all breeds. Banning pitbull dogs is not a solution.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:18 PM

Obviously the dog park is causing quite the controversy. I think we all get our information from different sources, and I also think ordinances are passed and rules do change. The county park officer who responded to my dog being attacked told me the park was privately owned and that pit's and rott's can not be off leashe. He removed them from the park immediately. I'm assuming as a park cop he was misinformed? It's could very well be. People make mistakes and I'll be the first to apologize if I was misinformed. I'm not going to get into the pit bull breed disussion about whether or not they should be banned as a lot of owners have strong views and I definitely have my own that I'll keep to myself. Either way I wish good luck to the people, dogs, and kids that go there. I agree with not wanting to babysit. I've seen dogs hit in the head by a 2 year old girl who had a large plastic shield and was just going around banging large dogs heads while her mom was holding another infant and not paying attention to her own dog or baby. I had to go up to her and ask her to keep an eye on her child bc not all big dogs are going to take that kind of hit kindly. Can you imagine if a dog did bite her, it would be the dog's fault. Of course you can't even begin to remotely compare the value of a child's life to that of a dog's but as a responsible parent, if you choose to bring your child to the park I would hope you would cherish them deeply enough to keep an eye on them. The dogpark has become a place for different "cliques" of humans to hang out and is almost a self serving way to make and keep friends. Not exactly bad, just dangerous if you are talking and not watching your dog. As for my friend with the wolf breed, it's such a close circle of friends there believe me EVERYONE talks about EVERYONE else and I'm sure I'm not immune to it once I walk away. It's sad really and I'm trying not to go too often as the bickering and the making fun of people has gotten a little out of hand.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 21,707 times
I tend to judge every animals and person on a case by case basis.

I think humans as a whole suck, but like to judge people as I meet them since some are more awful than others. (HA!)

I like the idea of the park remaining open to all who live inside and outside of Tradition. I own a "safe" breed, but don't judge. I've met some sweet little "toy" dogs and I've met horrible ones. I have met some awful APBT's and Rotties and some amazing ones. Just the other day I met an APBT puppy at the park and it was quite adorable, sweet and seemed well mannered for a little guy.

I think owners are to blame for how their animals and kids behave and not the kid or animal breed itself. It's all about responsible ownership.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:26 PM

I'm very much a people person and try not to judge people or pets. Everyone and every breed has the benefit of the doubt till they prove otherwise. I do believe there are exceptions to "it's the owner/parent fault" rule. Both from working in shelters and with children for the past ten years. I don't think people or animals are innately bad, but may at times do "bad" things or make mistakes and hopefully they learn from their mistakes. I know a pit bull that was the "best" ever and chewed off half of a 4 year old's face unprovoked (I knew the mom). But I've also seen wonderful pit's. I could never said anything about your wolf as I'm not educated enough and I've never seen her do anything wrong. But sometimes you sit back and listen and what you hear is pretty sad. Usually those are the people who talk bad about others to make themselves feel better. Ahhhh drama at the dogpark. I think it's time for everyone to act civil. I know I've bit my tongue a number of times when a larger gentlemen said something nasty about me and one of my dogs, but I have to remember not to waste my breath on any negative energy and to be the bigger person.

Last edited by jsmithru; 04-21-2008 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: add a sentence

Old 04-21-2008, 04:02 PM

374 posts, read 1,629,343 times
Is this lovely dog park supposed to be for the dogs??? Or the entertainment of those who have nothing better to do then complain??? Peyton Place or Tradition??? It would really be a shame to make such a lovely community a place you wouldn't want to take your dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach