Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times

Advertisements

Haha, I agree Lion. I live in a condo building that my dalmation just squeaked by being "grandfathered in" under the restriction to only have dogs under 30 lbs.

Problem is, my 70 lb. dalmation is a gentle big dummy who'd never hurt a fly, while the little yip yap dogs bark their heads off at the sight of you and look try to nip at your heels!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:14 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,474 times
Mod deleted

I am going to add something here. From I learned about dog training, a dog park is not a good environment for adult dogs. Different dogs have different personalities. Some dogs are suitable for that environment. The Airedale mentioned above is a very playful puppy. Even without any formal training and reliable recall, he is suitable for the dog park. He would play if he can and if he met an aggressive one, he would run away.
However, there are some dogs that seem to speak dog language with an accent. These dogs often make aggressive gesture to other dogs. When a pitbull fought back, the pitbull dog can be easily victimized and banned by other dog owners. In addition, it seems that at the dog park, many people are afraid of pitbulls (learned by talking with various regulars). I am not sure whether a pitbull dog can sense such negativity. If I am a pitbull owner and love my pitbull, I will rather do the organized group play. I won’t subject my pitbull to such an unregulated environment. If your pitbull is comfortable in the park environment, by all means, enjoy the park if the city allows. Now, all restaurants in St. Lucie County ban dogs in their indoor and outdoor areas. Sad!!!

Last edited by sunrico90; 06-03-2008 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Orphaned post

Old 06-04-2008, 04:25 AM

27 posts, read 90,114 times
I agree Ling. Thanks for your words of wisdom. You hit all the points I tried to bring up. Some dogs no matter the breed, don't belong at the dog park. There are a LOT of reasons not to bring a dog to the dog park, all of which make sense. I only bring my one dog bc he is so happy go lucky that I NEVER have a problem, whereas my other dog can get loud and is a herder by trait so he DOES NOT belong there.. The "worst" thing the dog I do bring does is roll around with the big baby (97 pounds!) doberman. I am not "breedest" as some people have referred to me as (obviously my dogs best friend is a doberman) but have my fair share of run ins with the same breed so maybe they do sense my fear (something I try not to project but it's easier said than done). I did not have a fear untill I saw so many attacks by the same breed and had to call the cops and report it to core communities (I don't just sit and complain as some people have mentioned, I am VERY active in the safety issues at the dog park). I even called when they had thin sharp wiring used to braced down a tree, that was a common sense issue, talk about cutting a dog running near the tree at high speed. I called my contact at core who had it removed the next morning. I think I saw your post on another thread that said you might adopt a pit bull? I just want to make sure you knew they are banned in the tradition community. (NOT my doing, just stating facts). I would hate for you to fall in love with a great rescue dog and bring a dog home only to get reported and have to give him or her up (I do NOT report well behaved dogs but others might report the breed, especially in your neighborhood). I know that you are a loving, responsible pet owner a I would hate for you to go through any hardship. I can give you the info on where I adopted my dogs if you want. You can also contact me if you want to talk to tony from core communities or you can check your HOA paper work that has a section specifically states a ban on what THEY consider "aggressive breeds". As far as the restaurant go, it is only ok to have your dogs outside IF the county commishioner puts forth and passes an ordinance allowig the county to do so. I have written the commishioner and a restaurant in fort pierce has a petition going which me, and over 1000 other people singed. They are also outside city hall with the dogs trying to bring the issue to light. Best of luck to you!!!

Last edited by jsmithru; 06-04-2008 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 06-04-2008, 05:19 AM

Here is the link, be sure ti read the narratives: http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-04-2008, 05:58 AM

jsmithru,
I plan to adopt a dog. I wouldn't eliminate a good pitbull as a candidate but there are other breeds in consideration too. When I purchased my home, there is no pitbull ban in our HOA rules. I also want to go with a purebred so I can take the dog to go through the agility training and various AKC 's activity as I did and am doing with my GSD. At the same time, there are many cute mutts so I just look around while having fun with my GSD.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 PM

28 posts, read 110,130 times
I owe you an apology. It has been a long time since I've visited this site. Nonetheless, I had the great pleasure to meet you several months back. I being very ignorant to dog training was very impressed with you and your dogs. Since my move to Tampa, I only visit the park when I drive down to visit my brother which still lives in the PSL area. Please forgive me for being ignorant and for making a mean picture of you and your dogs without even knowing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithru View Post
Yes, the dogpark is for tradition residents only and it is now being moved because of the insurance liability of too many other dogs from surrrounding areas coming in. It will be guarded and an access card will be given to tradition residents.
I assume I am the "blonde lady" who's dogs bite. I wish you would have come up to me and said something in person so it could've rectified it if it was something I missed. There is a man at the park who kicks dogs so I'm hoping this is not you or your husband.
As a responsible dog owner, I did some research and realized that my one dog is used to coming to the park at the same time every day, with the same dogs for over a year, so it is no longer neutral territoty for him and he rough houses with what has become his "pack". I now take him on "off times" where he is very well behaved. The other dog I take at normal times and he behaves fine.
People must also understand basic dog park rules: You can not enter if your dog will not come to you when you call (in case there's a dog fight); the park is NOT a substitution for excercise it is a place for socialization; there is a SMALL side for small dogs (I've seen way too many people freak out that their small dogs are being chased by larger ones in a play manner); the dog park is not a place for children under 5 years old, and if you do bring a small child they should be no further then 5 feet from you at all times. As a responsible parent I can't believe how many kids are let to run free and then the parents get mad if a child gets jumped on or knocked over. We don't let our dogs run free in the playground up the road wy would you let your child run free around large, unknown dogs?
Also (and i hardly see this rule being followed): A valid rabies tag issued by the licensed veterinarian administering the vaccination must be worn at all times by the dog or cat for which the tag was issued except when the dog or cat is being shown in competition, is actively engaged in the sport of hunting, is in the confines of the owner's property, or is government-owned dog used for law enforcement purposes.
Also know that after talking to county cops in Port St. Lucie, pit bull breeds are not allowed off leash in any park and that Florida is considering banning Pit Bull breeds statewide (I do a lot of research because my dog's demeanor completely changed after he was brutally attacked by a pit bull at this dog park) Another one of the reasons I take him seperately and at different times. I would love to meet the ndividual who spoke vaguely about me so we could rectify this as adults. Feel free to approach me at any time so I can assure you the other methods of training I practice with my dog.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:35 AM

Wow, that was very big of you. Apology of course accepted. I hope you are doing well in Tampa!!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 06:01 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,199,806 times
Just a side note... we even had Yappy Hour the other night here in Tradition! Great fun for all the dogs and the owners!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
[B the neighboring residents allowing this to stand on a message board without challenging you. Also for apathetically allowing this so called dog park to remain as is without banding together to fix the situation.
I understand your concern. I am also involved in Pitbull rescue organization in South Florida. And I am a Tradition resident. Unless you go to the dog park and spend several days there yourself, you shouldn't judge the park by simply reading at this site.

In the past, pro-pit bull posts regarding the park were deleted by the moderator. Again, you shouldn't judge the residents at Tradition by simply reading here no matter you want to live there or not.

It is my personal view that we should allow both sides to express their views. Many Pitbull dogs are dog aggressive and not suitable in dog park environment. However, Pitbull dogs shouldn't be banned in the town of Tradition. At this point, I am still getting conflicting information and trying to figure out what is going on.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:41 PM

Okay. Here is the info I found for pitbulls

1.Tradition doesn’t have a ban on pitbulls.
2.Each HOA has its own set of rules.
a. The Lakes doesn’t have a ban
b. Bedford park doesn’t have a ban
c. Heritage Oaks has a ban.
d. All others except Engle home don't have a ban.
e. Engle home can't be reached at this moment.

Please double check before you move in.

Well, I am not an expert in dog training. I think each dog should be judged individually. I have pulled my GSD out of the dog park since she has become a bit combative when challenged. At the same time, many dogs and their owners are enjoying the park. From now on, I would let the park regulars to decide and discuss the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach