Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:33 PM

27 posts, read 90,106 times

Advertisements

I apologize if I came across as a pit bull "expert" I was just going by what I have read and what I have been told be professional dog trainers as to how they have to train the "bull" breeds differently. In this situation the pit bull became more aggressive as the owner slapped her, so, what I had read and was taught played out right in front of me. Please do not judge all of us in tradition over one statement in one incident that I made. I am not saying what I have been told is absolute truth, but it did bear some merit at the point and time mentioned. Feel free to contact me if you want additional clarification or links (I can provide many as well). If you've read any of my posts you will realize my major issue with the pit bull's in general are their jaw mechanics. And now with the outbreak of parvo (yes my dogs are vaccinated, but I still err on the side of caution) I will not attend the dog park, so maybe if you decide to visit you share some stories of your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:41 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,700 times
To Jsmithru,
I have met some nice pitbulls and some bad ones. Once you know the nice ones and pet them, you would know why their owners would have difficulty to accept the negative comment about the breed. I respect their voice because I am a GSD owner. GSD is also considered to be a problem breed by a certain group of people. So I am biased.
At the same time, I totally understand where you come from. You just voice your opinion and your experience with them. You are a nice and fair person. I also respect your opinion that the dog park isn't suitable for dog aggressive dogs.
Again, some dogs play well in the dog park and some just don't. Sometime, it is owner's responsibility and sometime, it is not. My GSD was recently diagnosed with Pano and she has pain in her legs. I don’t know that. I took her to the dog park to play ball. A nice large dog (regular at the park) started to circle her. She doesn’t like that at all. Then I noticed that she was not chasing her ball so I took her to vet. I was told later that a sick dog doesn’t like to be circled by a larger dog. Who knows? Our dog doesn’t complain about pain to us. The other dog may know. The nice larger dog wouldn’t leave my GSD even when my GSD was telling him to leave by showing her teeth. Luckily, his owner called him away after hearing my panic voice. Dog language is very complicated!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:55 AM

WOW, ling I hope your GSD is ok, and hope she will be feeling better soon! I'm looking into it as one of my dogs has been limping and seems to have some of the same symptoms (after looking up pano). Please let me know what methods you are taking and what works for you. (I am taking him to the vet, to make sure that IS what it is but would also like to know what you found beneficial). This forum is really good for something! The last vet visit they put him on glucosomine and chondroitin as well as baby aspirin. Again, thanks for your kind, fair words and your information. I obviously was misled as to what breeds were allowed in which communities. I was told by a core representitive that no pit bull's were allowed, but obviously he was misled and now Bayshore is taking over all matters dealing with the dogpark. I try not to state too much opinion as fact, but again I am an entitled to voice an opinion not stated as fact. I know that you know the difference, unfortunately, not everyone who reads can differentiate. I hope this parvo outbreak is just a scare and that everyone's dog is doing well P.S. did you see the airdale's owner, on news 25 lastnight?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,753 times
Default Airdale's owner, on news 25 lastnight?

What was the info about him?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:16 PM

It was a report about the parvo "outbreak" they were filming a segment at the dog park, he just happened to be there.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:34 PM

Talking Dog Park Info/Who To Contact

I recently recieved a phone call and nice email from my phonecall from my contact for the dog park, thought I would share with the group:

You’re quite welcome and I apologize for taking so long to get back with you. All dog park matters are being transfered from me to core communities. Contact: Core Communities, attn Wes McCurry at Tradition Station, 10521 SW Village Center Drive, Suite 201 PSL FL. 34987

As I said we have plans to replace the bench pads and re-mount the benches on them. We will also be adding stepping stones at the entrances and some additional plantings. We will be installing some protective fencing along the bottom half in the small dog area as apparently the 4” spacing allowed small dogs to fit through. Most of this work will be taking place over the next 30 -60 days. We also have added some trees on the east side of the large dog area to create some morning shade. Being a dog owner myself I can understand your concerns. I’m sure the HOA will continue to listen and address your concerns also. Thank you and I hope you enjoy living in Tradition. We are constantly discussing ways to make this a better community

Last edited by jsmithru; 06-20-2008 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 08-19-2008, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 22,736 times
Many breeds of dogs are mixed with pit and you don't even realize it when you adopt the dog.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 PM

How did Tradition fare from all the rain during TS Fay?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,196,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsizing View Post
How did Tradition fare from all the rain during TS Fay?

Actually we did just fine! A little water in places and trees down but otherwise no problems. We didn't loose power and didn't flood.

I am sitting here watching the "waves" on my lake at the moment and this is Thursday. The water in my lake is high as is the river just behind it so it does make me wonder about a real hurricane and the water level. Hasn't started to go down much and the trees that are on the side of the lake are actually IN the water.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:45 PM

Thanks for your response. I would figure that if it did not flood this time that it wouldn't during a hurricane. That was about as much rain as we get in any given storm, probably more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach